• Preseason Top 25

#72407  by The Jackal
 Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:12 am
Thorny wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:21 pm
I think Forcier was a better QB then Sorrells his Senior season BUT only his senior season.

I know that whether Forcier was the better QB his sophomore year will always be contested. However, prior to his injury his Junior year he looked like he was in the process of losing the starting job to Worley who strangely enough is not in the conversation of top 5 Furman QBs of all time.

Do I think that level of play was always in Forcier? Yes. However, Lamb and Sorrels couldn't figure out a way to bring it out of him or put together a workable offense. For Lamb and Sorrels, Sorrels was the better QB despite Forcier's upside.

I would have loved to see Forcier as a Sophomore in the offense he played in as a Senior but my gut says Sorrels WAS the better QB at that point.

In dissecting this, remember that Sorrells, Worley, Hannon, Forcier, etc. didn't play with the level of talent on the team that existed in the mid-2000s or exists on the team now.

Recruiting, coaching, development, depth, and talent were all issues during that period of time. We didn't necessarily see it in the moment, but we can certainly see it now.
dornb liked this
 #72415  by FUBeAR
 Sat Jun 10, 2023 11:19 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:12 am
Thorny wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:21 pm
I think Forcier was a better QB then Sorrells his Senior season BUT only his senior season.

I know that whether Forcier was the better QB his sophomore year will always be contested. However, prior to his injury his Junior year he looked like he was in the process of losing the starting job to Worley who strangely enough is not in the conversation of top 5 Furman QBs of all time.

Do I think that level of play was always in Forcier? Yes. However, Lamb and Sorrels couldn't figure out a way to bring it out of him or put together a workable offense. For Lamb and Sorrels, Sorrels was the better QB despite Forcier's upside.

I would have loved to see Forcier as a Sophomore in the offense he played in as a Senior but my gut says Sorrels WAS the better QB at that point.

In dissecting this, remember that Sorrells, Worley, Hannon, Forcier, etc. didn't play with the level of talent on the team that existed in the mid-2000s or exists on the team now.

Recruiting, coaching, development, depth, and talent were all issues during that period of time. We didn't necessarily see it in the moment, but we can certainly see it now.
Right - a whole host of variables - including a few you didn’t mention in this post - quality of competition, type of offense, quality of defense (do they get off the field and give the ball back to the Offense), rules differences, etc. - COULD be considered when trying to make this type of evaluation across the span of over 20 years - BUT, FUBeAR isn’t a strong enough theoretical mathematician to derive some type of formula to take all of those things into consideration.

So that leaves us with this framework…

The question was “Top QB this century” - so we have to define that 1st …

“this century” = 2000 - 2022 (some would argue 2001-2022, but FUBeAR hates those people)…

“Top” = that’s harder…

…to FUBeAR, “Top” does NOT mean “most talented” - here’s why - when FUBeAR was playing Football for the Paladins, we won a whole boatload of games and SoCon Championships. We were a “Top” Team and we came out on “Top” in most of our games. BUT…we were very rarely the more talented Team on the field, nor ever the most talented Team in the SoCon. So, FUBeAR puts 0 weighting on “the talent eye test” or any “metrics” (HT/WT/40 time/Arm Strength/etc.)

…to FUBeAR, “Top” means they had the best (or better, as we move down the rankings) overall CAREER, regardless of ‘talent’ level…and even sometimes, as was FUBeAR’s personal case, despite lacking talent.

Then we have to have some methodology for defining the “best/better career.”

Really only a few things we can consider there…
* Career Personal Production (QB Stats)
* Offensive Production (QB is the leader of the Offense. He ‘owns’ it)
* Career Accolades (All Whatever, MVP, etc.)
* Wins vs. Losses
* Team Success (Championships, Advancement in Playoffs)

Everyone can write their own formula using these 5 parameters or can ‘eyeball’ them and come up with their ranking. That’s how FUBeAR came up with…

1. Martin - pretty much checks all the boxes above, including the “talent” box that FUBeAR doesn’t consider
2T. Napier - Career stats not as strong as some, but other boxes well-checked
2T. Sorrells- Career stats are clearly “Top,” as was Offensive Production (FUBeAR thinks). Other areas not as strong

Huff - has potential to continue 2022 performance in 2023 and, like Martin, check all the boxes…perhaps, with an even bigger check mark in a few of those boxes. As noted, definitely has potential to take the top spot.

Hannon, Forcier, Blazejowski, Gray (not necessarily in that order) would be in the next tier.
din23 liked this
 #72465  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:47 pm
Purple rain wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:35 pm
Lieutenant Huff can play the game.
Definitely more of a dual threat than Lieutenant Dan.
dornb, Purple rain liked this
 #72470  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:03 pm
What kind of regular season would be good enough to get Furman to more than one HOME playoff game in 2023? Do we have to win all of our regular season FCS games, or perhaps all but one of the FCS regular season games? And what are our chances of doing those things?
 #72472  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:22 pm
affirm wrote:
What kind of regular season would be good enough to get Furman to more than one HOME playoff game in 2023? Do we have to win all of our regular season FCS games, or perhaps all but one of the FCS regular season games? And what are our chances of doing those things?
1) 11-0, with an SEC win, should, most likely, secure at least 2 home Playoff games…if we win the 1st one, of course.

2) 10-1 … with only a very respectable loss to South Carolina

OR

3) 10-1 … beating South Carolina, but losing a close game to a highly ranked Samford, Mercer, or Chatt and that ranked Team finishing near 10-1.

MAYBE…no guarantees for 2) or 3) though…not in the triple-stacked deck, rigged Playoff system we have. For example…

…In 2021 ETSU was 10-1 with SEC win and only a less -than-a-TD loss on the road to a Chatt Team that started the season ranked #18.

Result - 1 home Playoff game (an extremely hard-fought 1-point win) vs. a Top 10 Team, whose only prior loss was to an FBS P5 Team … and then off to the FargoDome to face #2 seed NDSU coming off a bye week and the following week coasting to a 5 score win over a 7-4 that shouldn’t have made the playoffs, losing 3 of their last 4 regular season games.

ETSU should have been a Top 4 seed, just as Samford should have been in 2022. Starting ranked high is good, but the deck is still double-stacked and #5 isn’t really high enough to fully take that triple-stacking out of the equation.

Chances of doing these things?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 #72473  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:01 pm
affirm wrote:
Interesting question, but I'd phrase it slightly different.

The only teams essentially guaranteed to play two home games if they keep winning are the top 4 seeds. There are some scenarios where unseeded teams can knock off a seeded team in the second round and a team seeded 5-8 could host twice (like Villanova did in 2021), but that's somewhat rare.

So, I think the question is what does Furman have to do to be a top 4 seed.

Honestly, probably no worse than 10-1 with the only loss to USC. Samford, for instance, was 10-1 last season with a loss to UGA and was the 6th seed.

I see a few potential differences in 2023 though.

1. Furman will start much higher ranked than Samford did last year. Samford was unranked to begin the season and didn't climb into the top 10 until November. As we all know, it's hard to climb these polls.

2. I'm going to wager there is going to be less of a CAA bias this season. The CAA has well underperformed in the post season, with many of their teams getting blown out in playoff games. They've lost their best team (James Madison), so Furman may not have to worry as much about some CAA team lurking for a high bid.

Honestly, Furman will need to be 10-1 or 9-2 at worst with a loss to a team like Samford to have a hope at a seed. I would expect there will be three MVFC teams, at least two Big Sky teams, and Holy Cross hanging around with really impressive resumes. Furman's going to need to pummel some teams.
 #72475  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:12 pm
And on the subject of coaches, VMI quietly (or, rather, I didn't notice it) hired Danny Rocco to replace Scott Wachenheim.

As far as VMI goes, Rocco comes with a big FCS name - he was head coach at Liberty, Delaware, and Richmond. So, he's got some name recognition at this level.
 #72482  by Davemeister
 Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:26 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:47 pm
Purple rain wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:35 pm
Lieutenant Huff can play the game.
Definitely more of a dual threat than Lieutenant Dan.

I dunno. Lt. Dan had his own band and played a pretty mean Bass.
FUBeAR liked this
 #72626  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:47 am
It's wild to me the different roster building strategies in the modern era of college football.

Furman has three players transfer out (one had already graduated, I believe) and three transfer in (one or two yet to be announced).

Incarnate Word has 17 transfer out and 20 transfer in. https://herosports.com/fcs-2023-uiw-foo ... view-bzbz/

Samford isn't quite Incarnate Word in terms of transfers, but still are brining in 14 of them. 8 of those transfers appear to be defensive backs. https://herosports.com/fcs-2023-samford ... view-bzbz/
 #72627  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:17 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:47 am
It's wild to me the different roster building strategies in the modern era of college football.

Furman has three players transfer out (one had already graduated, I believe) and three transfer in (one or two yet to be announced).

Incarnate Word has 17 transfer out and 20 transfer in. https://herosports.com/fcs-2023-uiw-foo ... view-bzbz/

Samford isn't quite Incarnate Word in terms of transfers, but still are brining in 14 of them. 8 of those transfers appear to be defensive backs. https://herosports.com/fcs-2023-samford ... view-bzbz/
* Samford has not updated their 2022 roster online
* Samford had 31 transfers listed on last year's online roster.
* Of those 31, 14 were listed as NOT-Sr's / NOT-Gr's - so...if we assume all but 1 (as cited in the article) of those 14 return and that this article is correct, with no more transfers to add, Samford will have 27 transfers on their 2023 Roster

Below are PRELIMINARY NUMBERS - based on Current online rosters.... these rosters WILL change before the season starts and their current accuracy is suspect. Also - "Transfer" includes any type of transfer - Prep School, JUCO, Community College, etc. - coming to a school from anywhere other than directly from a "high school."

Number of transfers (currently) expected to be on each SoCon Team's 2023 Rosters (most to fewest)

1) CHATTANOOGA 33
2) WCU 28
3) SAMFORD 27 (based on 2022 Roster + Article cited)
4) ETSU 25* (No update to 2022 Roster - this is ETSU's 2022 number)
5) MERCER 17
6) WOFFORD 17
7) THE CITADEL 11 (no incoming Players added to 2023 online Roster - this number will be higher)
8) FURMAN 10 (we know there are a few more to be added)
9) VMI 0