Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:22 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:45 pm
Thorny wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:33 am
Interesting to see Haley picked Mercer to beat Samford. Hope he's correct on that. My feeling is Mercer has been overrated all year. Bought out their scheduled Yale game and replaced it with non-scholarship Morehead State (made big hay of that joke of a win). Hasn't beaten a ranked team yet (Saturday will be a good time to get that first win). Lost to a bad SEC team that fired its head coach. Lost by three touchdowns to Chattanooga. Lost to us by double digits on their home field. Blew out Wofford when they were probably at the low point. Best win for the cubs all year was probably WCU. Ranked ahead of us all year until this week. Somebody want to make the case that being ranked in the preseason doesn't matter?

I think the knock on Mercer at this point is they struggle to win big games against good teams.

Mercer's schedule was backloaded. They were always going to come out of the gate hot and we were not really going to know what sort of team they had until the last few weeks of the season.
That was a problem with Drew Cronic's offense when he was at Furman. We would beat the snot out of inferior teams but could not run the ball against a solid defensive front to save our lives. Not much has changed. :lol:
I have always thought Cronic was overrated as a coach. Glad he is at Mercer.
So are the peeps at Mercer…VERY glad. Good to see such harmony among SoCon schools.
 #60393  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:27 pm
Thorny wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
Interesting to see Haley picked Mercer to beat Samford. Hope he's correct on that. My feeling is Mercer has been overrated all year. Bought out their scheduled Yale game and replaced it with non-scholarship Morehead State (made big hay of that joke of a win). Hasn't beaten a ranked team yet (Saturday will be a good time to get that first win). Lost to a bad SEC team that fired its head coach. Lost by three touchdowns to Chattanooga. Lost to us by double digits on their home field. Blew out Wofford when they were probably at the low point. Best win for the cubs all year was probably WCU. Ranked ahead of us all year until this week. Somebody want to make the case that being ranked in the preseason doesn't matter?

I think the knock on Mercer at this point is they struggle to win big games against good teams.

Mercer's schedule was backloaded. They were always going to come out of the gate hot and we were not really going to know what sort of team they had until the last few weeks of the season.
That was a problem with Drew Cronic's offense when he was at Furman. We would beat the snot out of inferior teams but could not run the ball against a solid defensive front to save our lives. Not much has changed. :lol:

I'm not sure if I would go that far.

Cronic's a very good coach. He, like Hendrix, inherited a 3-8 team and a patchwork of offensive skill players and turned them into a playoff team.
FUBeAR, Purple rain liked this
 #60395  by saltyshaker
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:32 pm
i just don't see us getting a seed.i'll be happy with davidson,or even elon or nc a&t.
FUBeAR liked this
 #60397  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:44 pm
Thorny wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

Do you think losing 3 of their Top 5 RB’s (1, 2, and 5) and 3 OL Starters has affected Mercer’s running game this year or just all due to poor Coaching by the Head Coach?
 #60399  by Yadkin
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:04 pm
You'll not hear me asserting Drew Cronic is anything but an excellent football coach. Have always believed that. They should have been a playoff team a year ago, and may still be this year. I just maintain they benefitted from being in the preseason polls based on their finish last year (as were a lot of teams), got a bump by getting Morehead State on and Yale off their sked, and used a light front end of their slate to stay in the rankings. They've not beaten a good team this year. Injuries cost every team, including us, with Tyler Huff not playing vs. Samford. Any team that loses its starting QB is most likely going to give up something in performance.
 #60401  by Affirm
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:17 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:22 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:45 pm
Thorny wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

I have always thought Cronic was overrated as a coach. Glad he is at Mercer.
So are the peeps at Mercer…VERY glad. Good to see such harmony among SoCon schools.
I think Cronic is a great coach.
I am very sorry that Mercer (or any other FCS school besides Furman) has Cronic.
 #60402  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:17 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:20 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:50 pm
Even though they have locked up the top seed, a share of the SoCon title would be nice. We already have more conference championships than any other school, and another set of numbers on the field house would be something to brag about and build on.
Absolutely - a ‘share’ of a SoCon Championship is a SoCon Championship. 1 of FUBeAR’s 5 SoCon Championship rings is from a ‘shared’ title, but there’s nothing about sharing it on the ring or on those numbers on the Field House. These Players want that SoCon Championship ring just as much as (perhaps more than) they want to make the Playoffs.

Despite FUBeAR politicking otherwise on every social media platform available on the inter webs…If Furman blows out Wofford and Samford defeats Mercer, the odds of FU getting a Seed are still very, very small. Would need all or very many of the following to happen…

Montana to beat Montana State
North Dakota to beat North Dakota State
Northwestern St to beat Incarnate Word
UC Davis to beat Sacramento State
Georgetown to beat Holy Cross
Northern Arizona to beat Weber State
Richmond to beat William & Mary

All upsets.

FUBeAR wants another SoCon Championship, an AtLarge Bid, and a Home Playoff game.

As valuable as a Seed is … the value of the very low probability of a seed is not worth trading off a SoCon Championship for that long shot.

GO BEARS! BEAT SAMFORD!!
I'm in agreement and I also think that playing each of the next few weeks without a break will keep us in a rhythm. We had our bye late so that was our break.
Davemeister liked this
 #60415  by Thorny
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:16 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thorny wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

Do you think losing 3 of their Top 5 RB’s (1, 2, and 5) and 3 OL Starters has affected Mercer’s running game this year or just all due to poor Coaching by the Head Coach?
I opened a can of worms!!. 😅

Look, Cronic isn't a bad football coach. However, he turned around a 3-8 Furman team /offense into one of the most feared power run games in the FCS with a rb with previously limited playing time and a rb that was recruited as a safety but said offense fell apart everytime Furman ran up against a solid defensive front. So, I've seen Cronic make hay with less.

Now, maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, but Cronic's ability to turn a bad hand into a feared run based offense that scores 40 points a game but has limited answers to an elite FCS defensive line isn't in question. The question is when the pieces come together does can his offense get him a SoCon championship/a run in the playoffs.
 #60417  by gofurman
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:26 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:44 pm
Thorny wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

Do you think losing 3 of their Top 5 RB’s (1, 2, and 5) and 3 OL Starters has affected Mercer’s running game this year . or just all due to poor Coaching by the Head Coach?
Yes

And I KNOW Cronic is a strong coach. !!!! Definite upgrade from the prior coach at Mercer which is painful but true. The other thread we talk about blowouts.. well we blew out Mercer with their last coach. Kneeled the ball while up 40 or something. That ain’t happening with Cronic. I think Mercer is 2-1 vs Furman / CCH with Cronic there.

Mercer shoulda been in playoffs last year but for possible scheduling. Very good team this year possible playoffs - IE Cronic has them on edge of playoffs already. Clearly Cronic is good and Quarles well…
 #60447  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:04 am
Has there been a list of the guys being recognized on Senior Day? I know Hendrix said some of them will likely be coming back, but I was just curious how many were being recognized. (and if there were any surprising names)
 #60460  by Davemeister
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:30 am
Based on the list Jackal compiled for us, I think just about everyone listed on the roster as a Senior - except Blackshear & Miller - has the option of playing next Fall. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
 #60475  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:14 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Based on the list Jackal compiled for us, I think just about everyone listed on the roster as a Senior - except Blackshear & Miller - has the option of playing next Fall. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
I just sort of rolled through the roster and realized that with the extra year of eligibility due to COVID, most of the team can return.

I actually think Blackshear has eligibility: he played full seasons in 2019, 2021, and 2022. In 2018 he played four games and redshirted. The COVID season wasn't a full season and doesn't count towards eligibility, I think.

My recollection is he entered the transfer portal last year with two years of eligibility and came back to Furman. I assume he still has a fourth "full" season to play.
Davemeister liked this
 #60477  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:14 pm
Davemeister wrote:
I just sort of rolled through the roster and realized that with the extra year of eligibility due to COVID, most of the team can return.

I actually think Blackshear has eligibility: he played full seasons in 2019, 2021, and 2022. In 2018 he played four games and redshirted. The COVID season wasn't a full season and doesn't count towards eligibility, I think.

My recollection is he entered the transfer portal last year with two years of eligibility and came back to Furman. I assume he still has a fourth "full" season to play.
Let’s see if we can work out some ‘rules’ to assess eligibility.

* ‘Rules’ will not include medical hardship years as that is a case by case determination
* Normally, Football Student Athletes have 5 seasons to play 4 seasons with 1 redshirt year (participating in up to 4 contests)
* Football Student Athletes enrolled during the 2020-2021 Academic Year have 6 seasons to play 5 seasons as 2020 (and/or Spring of 2021) didn’t ‘count.’

So…

1 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2022 and do not redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2025
2 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2022 and do redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2026
3 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2021 and do not redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2024
4 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2021 and do redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2025
5 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2020 and do not redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2024
6 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2020 and do redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2025
7 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2019 and do not redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2023
8 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2019 and do redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2024
9 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2018 and do not redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2022
10 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2018 and do redshirt, their last season of eligibility will be 2023
11 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2017 and do not redshirt, their last season of eligibility was 2021
12 - If Football Student Athletes arrived in Fall of 2017 and do redshirt, their last season of eligibility is 2022

So…for examples…

Huff - arrived in 2019. Played 2019 & 2020, Redshirted in 2021. So, he falls under Rule #8 and COULD play 2 more seasons after this year…into 2024

Blackshear - arrived 2018. Redshirted 2018. Rule #10. COULD play in 2023.

Miller - arrived 2019. No redshirt. Rule #7. COULD play in 2023.

Sochovka - arrived 2017. Redshirted 2017. Rule #12. 2022 is his “last ride.”…except, OOPS, he got a medical redshirt in 2021…outside the scope of our ‘rules’…so he can play in 2023 if his Geriatrician allows him to play.

Kyndel Dean - exact same timeline as Sochovka, assuming he got his MedRed for 2021 season, he’s eligible in 2023 also…with Geriatric approval

Adebayo - 2023
Vollmer - 2023 …if he gets MedRed for this season
Gissinger - 2023
Coleman - 2023
Wilkins - 2023
Shiflett - 2023 with MedRed in 2019
Abrams - 2023

Y’all can figure out the rest…if you would like…but FUBeAR believes the ‘answer’ is EVERYONE on the current roster is eligible to return next season if they want to AND if the Coaches want them to.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.