#56937  by wcugrad95
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:41 am
The Furman defensive front will need to get pressure on the Samford QB to force him into bad plays. He threw his first INT against the Cats last week, but I have watched him in 3 games and he is smart with the ball. He will check down when needed, and will throw the ball away to live another day. He is not Hodges or Welch, but he is what makes their offense go when they need something. Stanton is a pretty good back, and #0 is their security blanket in the passing game.

Jackal and FUBeAR could pull up probably 6 or 7 highlights that show what made the difference in our game (offense not executing and defense making a handful of mental mistakes). Like I said in the other post, you guys need to batter them running the ball and get pressure on the QB. Other than the one long run where our LB was nowhere to be found, WCU kept the Samford run game in check and I certainly would expect the Dins D to do the same.

Samford will obviously have a very different scheme against you guys. They are better than I thought they were, and as a ranked team I thought they were pretty darn good before we played them.
 #56938  by FUBF24
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:37 am
Anyone know any updates on game condition with Hurricane Ian on the forecast?
 #56939  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:43 am
wcugrad95 wrote:
The Furman defensive front will need to get pressure on the Samford QB to force him into bad plays. He threw his first INT against the Cats last week, but I have watched him in 3 games and he is smart with the ball. He will check down when needed, and will throw the ball away to live another day. He is not Hodges or Welch, but he is what makes their offense go when they need something. Stanton is a pretty good back, and #0 is their security blanket in the passing game.

Jackal and FUBeAR could pull up probably 6 or 7 highlights that show what made the difference in our game (offense not executing and defense making a handful of mental mistakes). Like I said in the other post, you guys need to batter them running the ball and get pressure on the QB. Other than the one long run where our LB was nowhere to be found, WCU kept the Samford run game in check and I certainly would expect the Dins D to do the same.

Samford will obviously have a very different scheme against you guys. They are better than I thought they were, and as a ranked team I thought they were pretty darn good before we played them.
Sneaky Catamount still tryna sell wolf tickets over here.

FUBeAR, years ago, laid out the D strategy to stop the #HatchAttack that most smart SoCon Coaches have now adopted (without paying rights fees to the inventor…of course). It’s very much the same D that Samford used to slow, and then stop, WCU’s high-flyin’ circus act before they crossed the goal line.

Base D is 3-3-5…
* D-Line - PLAY RUN 1st, then controlled, containing pass rush, hands up in throwing lanes just before/at release
* LB’s - (Sub in Safeties if you have any slow-ish LB’s. Those LB’s can play DE on ‘passing downs.’) Bias toward playing run on ‘running downs.’ Bias toward coverage on ‘passing downs.’ Deep alignment and fast drops into coverage. Keep the ball in front of you. Controlled attack on screens, draws, QB runs…don’t FLY up & miss the tackle.
* CB’s - man on 2 outside WR’s
* (3) Safeties - Deep 1/3rd’s - remember CB’s are man on outside WR’s. Do YOUR job.

Plenty of variations / blitzes off this…swapping LB’s and DL assignments…send 1 or 2 LB’s..send a CB, etc….but this is the base.

Fine if we get to the QB, but also fine if we don’t. That ball comes out fast. Let’s get hands in his vision and his throwing lanes. Every dink or dunk they complete is 1 step closer to a mistake…hopefully of the catastrophic pick 6 variety.

As the field shrinks inside the 20, so do their options and the ground your 8 (in coverage of their 5) need to cover. Gotta be willing to grant them a few FG’s and good enough on O to score a TD for every 2 FG’s you allow.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #56941  by JohnKX512
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:14 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:43 am
wcugrad95 wrote:

Sneaky Catamount still tryna sell wolf tickets over here.

FUBeAR, years ago, laid out the D strategy to stop the #HatchAttack that most smart SoCon Coaches have adopted. It’s very much the same D that Samford used to slow, and then stop, WCU’s high-flyin’ circus act before they crossed the goal line.

Base D is 3-3-5…
* D-Line - PLAY RUN 1st, then controlled, containing pass rush, hands up in throwing lanes just before/at release
* LB’s - (Sub in Safeties if you have any slow-ish LB’s. Those LB’s can play DE on ‘passing downs.’) Bias toward playing run on ‘running downs.’ Bias toward coverage on ‘passing downs.’ Deep alignment and fast drops into coverage. Keep the ball in front of you. Controlled attack on screens, draws, QB runs…don’t FLY up & miss the tackle.
* CB’s - man on 2 outside WR’s
* (3) Safeties - Deep 1/3rd’s - remember CB’s are man on outside WR’s. Do YOUR job.

Plenty of variations / blitzes off this…swapping LB’s and DL assignments…send 1 or 2 LB’s..send a CB, etc….but this is the base.

Fine if we get to the QB, but also fine if we don’t. That ball comes out fast. Let’s get hands in his vision and his throwing lanes. Every dink or dunk they complete is 1 step closer to a mistake…hopefully of the catastrophic pick 6 variety.

As the field shrinks inside the 20, so do their options and the ground your 8 (in coverage of their 5) need to cover. Gotta be willing to grant them a few FG’s and good enough on O to score a TD for every 2 FG’s you allow.
I agree with all of this.

Past years I have watched our D-line step back more often than not against Samford. Keep pressure and force plays.

I hope our stamina sticks; we haven't let a team score in the fourth quarter. With continued pressure on QB, you will overwhelm that offensive scheme through 4 quarters.
 #56942  by cavedweller2
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:02 am
JohnKX512 wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:06 am
FUBF24 wrote:
It will be rainy or dry.

If you want a laugh, the Miami football reddit page is now solely a Miami Hurricane tracking site. https://www.reddit.com/r/MiamiHurricane ... urricanes/

This is due to...the weather...not the football.
It will be perfect weather for Football.
 #56949  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:57 pm
Does anyone know how many tipped balls Furman has by the d-line?
The DINS have more length along the d-line compared to years past.
I know Barton and Stephens have tips. Not sure of anyone else?

Sochovka 6-4 DT
Barton 6-4 DE
Maier 6-4 Bandit
Clark 6-3 Bandit
Stephens 6-3 DT/NG
Coleman 6-3 NG
Stanfield 6-2 DE
 #56951  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:44 pm
FUBF24 wrote:
Take it for what it’s worth but on the weather channel rain chances for Saturday have gone down from 90+ to currently 77%. Both WC and Accuweather calling for a half inch of rain, That’s not a lot, of course expect a deluge. :lol: :lol: IIRC when the new turf was installed it was told it could take 5 inches of rain in a short time and would be dry in 30 mins.

#56952  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:52 pm
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #56953  by Roundball
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:31 pm
FUBF24 wrote:
Our NWS folks are some of the best in the business. They’re forecast for Saturday.

“Showers. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 62. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. “

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... hlight=off

I meant to add, I am still holding out for little or no rain on Saturday afternoon. The storm models continue to show a move east of us.
Last edited by Roundball on Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #56954  by soconjohn
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:39 pm
The Colgate debacle a few years back was embarrassing for all involved...This game will be played Saturday, however, how long delays might be in-game etc. is an unknown...This being a conference game as well means it almost certainly must be played...I think we can safely say it's not going to be dry lol.
Affirm, FU69 liked this
 #56956  by apaladin
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:02 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:39 pm
The Colgate debacle a few years back was embarrassing for all involved...This game will be played Saturday, however, how long delays might be in-game etc. is an unknown...This being a conference game as well means it almost certainly must be played...I think we can safely say it's not going to be dry lol.
Rain chances down to 67% now on weather channel. Only reason for delays would be lightning which is not in the forecast. Justice worst might be out of here Friday night, Subject to change every hour on the hour.
 #56957  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:08 pm
Play Ball! Big crowd!!

apaladin liked this