• Furman University vs. North Greenville University

#55548  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:21 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:28 pm
Starting to scan some highlights.

If you want to see a defensive line overwhelm an offensive line, this is a pretty good play.

I can just watch each individual defensive lineman just decimate his man. I think Xavier Stephens in the middle basically throws his man to the ground.

That is a thing of beauty. 2 /3 guys meeting at the QB. OL and DL win the games !
 #55549  by gofurman
 Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:35 pm
This is beautiful football.

Looks like a type of RPO off jet sweep motion.

Not sure who the read is - looks like Huff could throw a tough down to either Dean on the slant or Anderson on the flare out of the backfield. Both are open.

WHen we hit this play I couldn't help but think of how much we look better (I know he has more time for the throw, I know) than we did in those games a year or soo back vs Citadel and Woff etc where our receivers were wide open and we missed them. The way we dropped the ball in to our recvrs tonight was winning football - like thsi play, he is wide open so throw it as a softer throw and Huff did. Easy throw and catch. beauty
 #55553  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:43 pm
I'm not an expert, but that Anderson touchdown play looks like two reads to me.

Hypothesizing, but the first read looks to be the safety. Once he reacts to the run, Huff pulls the ball.

Hard to tell where his next look goes, but I suspect he looks at the flat defender. That player gets caught up following the run and forgets Anderson running past him. I suspect that if that defender had covered the flat, the throw would have gone to Dean on the slant.

That play puts a lot of stress on a defense. The defense ends up being wrong whatever they opt to do.
 #55554  by PaladinFury
 Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:00 am
That’s 97 Bryce Stanfield blowing up the middle and getting to the QB …
The Jackal wrote:

If you want to see a defensive line overwhelm an offensive line, this is a pretty good play.

I can just watch each individual defensive lineman just decimate his man. I think Xavier Stephens in the middle basically throws his man to the ground.

#55559  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:15 am
PaladinFury wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:00 am
That’s 97 Bryce Stanfield blowing up the middle and getting to the QB …
The Jackal wrote:

It's hard to tell, but I think it is Jackson, Stephens, Stansfield, and Maier. Left to right.
 #55560  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:40 am
I went back and watched the first quarter again.

One thing that jumped off the screen was how active our defense is pre-snap. While I was expecting a lot of different personnel groups, I was surprised at how much movement we showed prior to the snap.

We go essentially two or three deep at every position and there does not appear to be much drop off between our first and second (and even third) guys.

Our defense was giving the offense a bunch of different looks, disguising the fronts, disguising the coverage, disguising the pressure. I'm sure it was difficult for the offense to figure out where everyone was going to be lined up.
 #55562  by AstroDin
 Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:20 am
Great start to the season last night.
Loved the night game. The atmosphere and the new UNIs are sweet.

Just a few thoughts about the game…

Our perimeter speed is vastly improved. We closed on the ball all night quickly.
It takes a lot of effort to keep up with who's on the field in the defensive backfield, and we heavily rotated the entire game. Boy, what a difference Chizik makes. Cally makes plays, same for Yates, a heck of a climb up the ladder interception.

I thought coming into the NGU game. Our strength was the defensive backfield - now I'm starting to think our D-LINE might be a difference maker this season. We have guys with size and motors. I really liked the line of Stephens, Stainfield, and Maier. They were exploding off the ball. Also, good to see Jack Barton in there making plays.

This has been overlooked… Bryce McCormick got the start over Gilby. Furman again rotated linebackers all night, so I'm not reading too much into this other than McCormick looked solid in his first start.

Offensively, as good as we looked, I don't think we opened up the playbook. The DINS put the cork in the bottle early in the second quarter and went primarily to the running game. All of our backs played physically and displayed a lot of quickness. Roberto is primed for a very good year. I've been telling you all not to sleep on Myion Hicks!

Justin Roper. Already gets one big star for moving Wayne Anderson to the slot. The Dude is going to be a weapon. Can't wait to see how JR is going to use KT.

The play that made me go wow! The catch and run by freshman Ben Ferguson. Unfortunately, there was a penalty on the play-still-Ferguson showed some nifty moves in traffic.
hypercycloid liked this
 #55569  by Davemeister
 Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:49 am
Quick takeaways:

1) No QB controversy at Furman.

2) Off to a good start, but don't read too much into last night's game. The Acid Test comes in two weeks.

3) Surprisingly good attendance! Gameday atmosphere was tremendous.

4) Enjoyed the two bands joining forces at halftime.

5) New uni's looked better than I expected, but purple numerals were almost impossible to read.

6) CC looks ready to play some ball.
dornb, hypercycloid liked this