gofurman wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:18 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:41 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:36 am
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:00 am
It also makes me wonder if Coach Cutch prefers these longer linemen.
“Longer linemen” are fine IF they can play

FUBeAR has seen a lot of longer linemen playing that cannot play - ESPECIALLY at the FCS level

Seen 1 SoCon Team, in the past, really focus on bringing in and playing longer linemen. As their ability to maintain consistent drives, maintain consistent offensive production, and convert in critical 3rd down short yardage situations deteriorated, so did their Team’s record.

Sure…bad record…BUT…LONGER LINEMAN…every freakin’ play!!!

Hopefully Furman’s OL recruiting will continue to focus on bringing in high quality ATHLETES who can PLAY…and IF they happen to be longer…that’s not, necessarily, a bad thing…as long as they can PLAY!
Ideally, your football team would have 6'6 320 lbs cyborgs that could run, hit, block, and had perfect footwork.

You'd rather have a good football player over a big football player.

You'd rather have a good big football player.

My guess is Hendrix believes in his ability to "coach them up." Find guys with the right mold and mentality, and utilize the process.
yes, BUT we had several times last year that we needed a yard or two with a down or two to get it .. and could Not get the job done as our OL couldn't hold up. SO strange as in our first year with backs that 'couldn't get to the edge' so everyone knew we were coming up the middle we were able to get a yard almost at will - Hendrix first year.

BLOCK SOMEONE. There were a few painful times last year we couldn't get a fourth and one. That is a killer
Prolly TE’s or other RB’s missing their blocks, or the Ball Carrier ‘bounced’ when he shouldn’t have, or the QB made the wrong read, or he made the wrong check at that line…but no worries…people that don’t really know Football always blame the OL and yell “BLOCK SOMEONE!!,” so it’s all good.
Sometimes the Defense simply outperforms the O on a play.
Just watched the 2005 FU/APP game in Boone on YouTube this past weekend...again (I'm a sadist). After the infamous "Ingle slip" we went for it on 4th and Goal. Felton got stuffed for no gain with a pretty darn good OL blocking for him. It happens. What I'd like to see this season is an offense that moves the ball consistently and doesn't get placed into situations where the defense has a 90% chance of knowing exactly what we're about to do. I want to keep the D on it's heels and control the tempo. After watching some film of Holy Cross and hearing the excitement in our players voices after practices, I believe Roper will have us moving in this direction early in the season.
dornb liked this
 #55087  by Furmanoid
 Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:59 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:12 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

FUBeAR has seen a lot of longer linemen playing that cannot play - ESPECIALLY at the FCS level

Seen 1 SoCon Team, in the past, really focus on bringing in and playing longer linemen. As their ability to maintain consistent drives, maintain consistent offensive production, and convert in critical 3rd down short yardage situations deteriorated, so did their Team’s record.

Hopefully Furman’s OL recruiting will continue to focus on bringing in high quality ATHLETES who can PLAY…and IF they happen to be longer…that’s not, necessarily, a bad thing…as long as they can PLAY!
Ideally, your football team would have 6'6 320 lbs cyborgs that could run, hit, block, and had perfect footwork.

My guess is Hendrix believes in his ability to "coach them up." Find guys with the right mold and mentality, and utilize the process.
yes, BUT we had several times last year that we needed a yard or two with a down or two to get it .. and could Not get the job done as our OL couldn't hold up. SO strange as in our first year with backs that 'couldn't get to the edge' so everyone knew we were coming up the middle we were able to get a yard almost at will - Hendrix first year.

BLOCK SOMEONE. There were a few painful times last year we couldn't get a fourth and one. That is a killer
Prolly TE’s or other RB’s missing their blocks, or the Ball Carrier ‘bounced’ when he shouldn’t have, or the QB made the wrong read, or he made the wrong check at that line…but no worries…people that don’t really know Football always blame the OL and yell “BLOCK SOMEONE!!,” so it’s all good.
When I was doing the rec thing I had this old football expert with me who played semi pro (whatever that is). Knew it all except he must have played before Coach Yeoman’s invented the veer (or option). He could not wrap his head around leaving a guy unblocked. He always thought a lineman was screwing up when actually the play was perfect except for a bad qb read. Other times people would be all over my tight end. On outside runs the DE commonly lined up way too far outside to be reach blocked, so my instructions (stolen straight from Lombardi) were to just keep the guy out there, take him where he wants to go. The RB was supposed to cut back into the gigantic alley which was always wide open for big gain. But rec league RB’s don’t like to cut back so they just keep going outside and run into the DE. So my experts would always pounce on the poor little TE for not doing the impossible. Then they’d go over and be super nice to the kid who actually screwed up (future NIL kid). Completely different level, but I see what you mean all the time.
 #55088  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:47 am
MNORM wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:35 am
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Just watched the 2005 FU/APP game in Boone on YouTube this past weekend...again (I'm a sadist). After the infamous "Ingle slip" we went for it on 4th and Goal. Felton got stuffed for no gain with a pretty darn good OL blocking for him. It happens. What I'd like to see this season is an offense that moves the ball consistently and doesn't get placed into situations where the defense has a 90% chance of knowing exactly what we're about to do. I want to keep the D on it's heels and control the tempo. After watching some film of Holy Cross and hearing the excitement in our players voices after practices, I believe Roper will have us moving in this direction early in the season.
FUBeAR also recently watched that vid.

Looks like on the 4th down play, we had an All SoCon TE & and All SoCon OG both make mental errors (they both ‘passed up’ blocking ‘more dangerous’ defenders as they ran their paths during the play - so have to assume those were mental errors) leaving the Appy’s with 2 of their Players unblocked and in the backfield to greet Mr. Felton when he was handed the Football. So..they did go BLOCK SOMEONE, but not blocking the RIGHT someone will get you beat dang near every play.

It will rip your heart out to think about IF IM doesn’t slip on 3rd down there and IF we don’t fumble late against JMU in ‘04. Probably 2 more National Championships / 2 in a row…so a total of 4 National Championships (including GaSou ‘85) were only 3 plays away…and IF Ivory doesn’t get hurt (or maybe doesn’t play?), we beat Montana to give us a total of 5.

IF’s and BUT’s…..dnag!
 #55089  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:16 am
FUBeAR wrote:
MNORM wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Looks like on the 4th down play, we had an All SoCon TE & and All SoCon OG both make mental errors (they both ‘passed up’ blocking ‘more dangerous’ defenders as they ran their paths during the play - so have to assume those were mental errors) leaving the Appy’s with 2 of their Players unblocked and in the backfield to greet Mr. Felton when he was handed the Football. So..they did go BLOCK SOMEONE, but not blocking the RIGHT someone will get you beat dang near every play.

It will rip your heart out to think about IF IM doesn’t slip on 3rd down there and IF we don’t fumble late against JMU in ‘04. Probably 2 more National Championships / 2 in a row…so a total of 4 National Championships (including GaSou ‘85) were only 3 plays away…and IF Ivory doesn’t get hurt (or maybe doesn’t play?), we beat Montana to give us a total of 5.

IF’s and BUT’s…..dnag!
Against JMU (JUST that game)

- Fumble on the 1 on a 1st and Goal.
- Blocked punt recovered on Furman 8 that lead to a touchdown.
- on the game winning drive, Furman had JMU in a 2nd and 22 and couldn't get a stop.
 #55091  by cavedweller2
 Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:44 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
MNORM wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

IF’s and BUT’s…..dnag!
I say 6 shoulda's. If Frankie doesnt get hurt in '89 we win that year too.
Davemeister liked this
 #55092  by FUBeAR
 Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:23 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:44 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
MNORM wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

IF’s and BUT’s…..dnag!
I say 6 shoulda's. If Frankie doesnt get hurt in '89 we win that year too.
Yeah - FUBeAR had moved to Cali & was head-down getting a new operation up & running in SoCal…Must confess, didn’t pay close attention that year - no ESPN3 or + on his McIntosh Plus desktop…

….just went back, looked at bracket, read a few articles, etc.

You’re right - we should have 6! DNAG!!,
 #55106  by gofurman
 Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

DOn't pile on too much .. Don't get so defensive. :D

To start, There was no defending some of those weird Coach Fowler blocking schemes. NONE. And yet people did. I recall a big-time former OL telling me he was a HUUUUGE Fowler fan and just couldn't wrap his head around whatever scheme our OL ran those years. Eventually we had to move on.

To the present day, I probably shouldn't have JUST said "OL Block someone"... you are right. I mean EVERYONE block correctly. EVERYONE. TEs and RBs as you said. QB reads,.. The fact remains we were worse at fourth and short last year than in Hendrix very first year - at least to my old memory. I swear in his first year of coaching we needed a yard and everyone knew we were coming up the middle.. (we didn't have the RBs to get outside) and it. still. worked. We had no speed to threaten an outside run and yet we got it done. Whatever the reason it needs to get corrected. As many players say, the best is when the opponent KNOWS whats coming and can't stop it. We didn't seem to be able to do that last year.
 #55111  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:09 am
It's always good to remember that in football, most average fans have no idea what they are looking at.

Sure, we get the concept of the game. What we don't know is the play call or who is supposed to be doing what on any play.

Any time you reference a fact of the 2017 team, remember that Furman had an excellent senior QB.
 #55117  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:08 pm
Piecing it together, perhaps the only anticipation on defense is who is going to start opposite Travis Blackshear at CB.

DT: Sochovka
NG: Coleman
DE: Johnson

BAN: Clark
ILB: Dimaggio
ILB: Gilby
SPUR: Miller

CB: Blackshear
CB: ?
SS: Wilkins
FS: Ryan
 #55141  by AstroDin
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:48 pm
^^^^ this is what I was hoping to read - KT could be a difference maker for the DINS.

"Kendall has probably been the most pleasant surprise this fall. He's shown some things that I've been wanting to see from him, especially when it comes to big play spark. He's always been a guy who could catch the football, and I also think he can help us on special teams."
 #55145  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:10 pm
I don't pay a ton of attention to these things, but do we normally put boxing gloves on our defensive backs during drills?

#55146  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:10 pm
I don't pay a ton of attention to these things, but do we normally put boxing gloves on our defensive backs during drills?

Keeps them from holding. Forces ‘em to cover using great technique, rather than relying on actions that can get flagged in games.

Kinda like, in the old days, during Spring Practice (only), the D was instructed (by the D Coaches) to fight the Offensive Player if they felt the Offensive Player was holding them. Well, of course, if they got beat, they ‘must have’ been held. We had A LOT of fights in Spring Practice; not allowed in the Fall. Several every Spring session. Not sure it taught the OLmen & TE’s not to hold, but it taught us to hold a bit more surreptitiously…and taught us to fight pretty good too…well, as good as one can fight in full Football gear. FUBeAR would guess they don’t fight that much anymore.