• 2022 Outlook

#54197  by AstroDin
 Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:41 am
I'm betting we're going to be impressed by what we see from JR at the helm quickly.
I understand GoFurman's concerns - and Furman has to show it on the field.

I doubt I'm giving Roper too much credit for the current success of the Holy Cross program and their QB Matthew Sluka.
HC's football fortunes changed quickly after Roper came in with Sluka.

Comparing Sluka and Jace is like comparing apples to oranges. I doubt we will see Jace become a 1,000-yard rusher in 2022. I think we will see higher-level strategic OC thinking applied to game plans and in-game adjustments. I'm not dissing Quarles, I get the feeling Roper is a fast-rising offensive mind in college football.

I think the key to winning more games isn't going to be the QB play, I believe Jace is ready, it's going to be consistency from the skill players around Jace. And—do we now have a set of players that can get open so Jace can feed them the ball?

I'm excited about the possibilities with Dudzik and this crop of receivers.
 #54233  by AstroDin
 Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:41 am
The PWOs are now listed on the roster…
 #54236  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:34 pm
We have not mentioned much about him, but Gerrick Vollmer is an interesting transfer.

Vollmer initially signed with UVA out of high school and looks to have been a 3 star prospect. He played in 9 of 10 games, mostly on special teams, for UVA in 2020. He transferred to Old Dominion (FBS), where he started three games last year.

At 6'5 315, he's a big hombre. Despite his size, he appears to have played a lot of OG and C during his football career.

Recall that Dylan Davis transferred out of Furman to Illinois. Last season, Anderson Tomlin and Pearson Toomey were our two primary OTs. Vollmer appears to have the size to play OT, but then has experience to play inside as well.

The only obvious gap along the offensive line will be to replace Clark Daniel at RG. There was not a ton of experience behind Daniel last year. Perhaps Vollmer will be in competition for the open RG spot.

In any event, Furman's going to be big and experienced up front on the OL two deep.
 #54237  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:34 pm
We have not mentioned much about him, but Gerrick Vollmer is an interesting transfer.

Vollmer initially signed with UVA out of high school and looks to have been a 3 star prospect. He played in 9 of 10 games, mostly on special teams, for UVA in 2020. He transferred to Old Dominion (FBS), where he started three games last year.

At 6'5 315, he's a big hombre. Despite his size, he appears to have played a lot of OG and C during his football career.

Recall that Dylan Davis transferred out of Furman to Illinois. Last season, Anderson Tomlin and Pearson Toomey were our two primary OTs. Vollmer appears to have the size to play OT, but then has experience to play inside as well.

The only obvious gap along the offensive line will be to replace Clark Daniel at RG. There was not a ton of experience behind Daniel last year. Perhaps Vollmer will be in competition for the open RG spot.

In any event, Furman's going to be big and experienced up front on the OL two deep.
Absolutely. We look to have a few options in most all positions on offense and that's a great thing.
 #54238  by The Jackal
 Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:14 pm
Hypothesizing, but it makes sense to think that Anderson Tomlin would have a mortal lock on one of the OT spots, probably LT

Johaning has close to 20 starts at LG. He seems like the most likely candidate there.

Jumper has 25+ starts at C. Wyatt Hughes might figure in the mix here.

RG might be a toss up. Vollmer might be an option here. Hughes has some experience at OG, and started at RG in Daniels absence some last season.

RT figures to be Toomey. Luke Petit broke onto the two deep last season as a true freshman.

Lot of depth up front. There are a number of highly recruited players behind the front line that will start working into the rotation and form the core of the next generation of Furman's offense.
 #54239  by AstroDin
 Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:14 pm
Hypothesizing, but it makes sense to think that Anderson Tomlin would have a mortal lock on one of the OT spots, probably LT

Johaning has close to 20 starts at LG. He seems like the most likely candidate there.

Jumper has 25+ starts at C. Wyatt Hughes might figure in the mix here.

RG might be a toss up. Vollmer might be an option here. Hughes has some experience at OG, and started at RG in Daniels absence some last season.

RT figures to be Toomey. Luke Petit broke onto the two deep last season as a true freshman.

Lot of depth up front. There are a number of highly recruited players behind the front line that will start working into the rotation and form the core of the next generation of Furman's offense.
Granted he took a redshirt — but the player I hear the most buzz about is Ryan Lamb. Lamb is another 300-plus OG.
BTW… Pearson Toomey is now listed at 6-3 297.

Almost forgot Maddox Epperson (Aledo HS). He came in early and played a lot of snaps in the Spring Game. Epperson could free up Hughes to play more at OG. I know more about the private school league teams in the Dallas area but I'm told Aledo is a powerhouse program.
 #54265  by The Jackal
 Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:47 am
The above conversation led me to watch a bit more of Roper's offense at Holy Cross this morning.

The HC offense was "no huddle" but not "hurry up." They are moving deliberately, but not fast. After the play is run, the entire offense looks to the sideline. The QB will then keep his eyes over to the sideline to make smaller adjustments to the play after the defense lines up.

Watching their offensive line, that group appeared to frequently substitute. The substitutions appeared almost to be pre-scripted. I don't know if that was a personnel package thing or the players had a set rotational schedule. It never appeared as though a player coming on was trying to grab his helmet while the substituted player had a "who me?" look about him. The guy coming off knew he was coming off, and the guy coming on knew he was coming on. No disruption to the rhythm of the offense.
 #54339  by FUBeAR
 Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:21 pm
FUBeAR penned this elsewhere and am wondering about this group’s thoughts on the matter, if any…

Let’s talk about the Tearyers, their recent record, and the 1st part of their 2022 schedule for just a second…

Wofford has been victorious in a grand total of 1 of their last 18 scheduled games (.055)…

They open with Chattanooga in Chatt. Chatt is ranked in the FCS top 15 or so in almost all polls and FUBeAR predicts the Mocks will be the Coaches & Media preseason projected SoCon Champion. The little dogs will be big underdogs in this game. Call it an L … 1 for 19 (.053).

Next, E*Loan comes to SparkleCity. The Formerly Fightin’ Former Christians are ranked in several FCS polls, finished 2nd in the CAA (among returning Teams), and will be seeking to avenge an embarrassing close loss to Woffy last year. FUBeAR will be pulling for the PorchYappers in this one, but they will be expected to take yet another L. 1 for 20 (.050).

Then, a trip to Blacksburg and an almost certain L from the Hokies. 1 for 21 (.048).

On to a trip to Kennesaw. The Owls have dug their talons deeply into the scruffs of the YardBarkers in recent contests. Again, FUBeAR will be cheering hard for the pups, but yet one more L will be expected…1 for 22 (.045).

Mercer comes into Uncle Jerry’s house next. The (modern day) Bears have never won in Spartanburg, but they hadn’t won in Macon either until last year when they made the game with Wofford look like a scrimmage vs. Stratford Academy. Mercer, like Chatt, is also ranked in most FCS polls and is the clear favorite to hang another L on the Tearyers…1 for 23 (.043).

Off to Homewood for a matchup with Samford comes next. Samford has had Woffy’s number like no other SoCon Team. The BullPups current win streak over the AnkleNippers stands at 7. Samford has brought in about 20 FBS transfers and Coach Hatcher is coaching for a new contract. Gotta call this as another L for Woffy. 1 for 24 (.042).

OK - A (rebuilding) Citadel comes to S’Burg next so FUBeAR will put a “TossUp” tag on that always hard-fought, usually very close game for some kind of Canine Trophy - forgetting what it’s called…sorry.

The question is…assuming things go as expected…who will be (Projected 0-6) Wofford’s Head Coach in that game vs. the bellhops?

Can Woffy’s Admin & Uncle Jerry really allow a Head Coach who would be 1 for his last 24, loser of 16 straight, with a .042 winning % over that span continue to be the leader and the face of their once (so) proud program?
fupaladin01 liked this
 #54340  by The Jackal
 Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:51 pm
A few of my thoughts. I'm not sure I see a rosy picture for Wofford.

Without going game by game, for me it's a birds' eye view problem. I have never been sold on Conklin. His arrival in Spartanburg and Ayers' departure always felt "weird." Over the next few seasons, Wofford lost a bunch of coaches and had a number of their best players transfer out. Usually, that does not scream "stability."

On the field, the data isn't promising. Offensively, the Terriers really lacked an identity last season. They moved away from the option, but similar to Furman's Bruce Fowler teams, didn't really demonstrate any way of moving the ball other than a direct handoff. Wofford was last or near last (by a healthy margin) in nearly every offensive category. They ran it well at times, but not well enough to compensate for their garish passing attack.

Defensively, it wasn't much better. Wofford's defense was really only surpassed in futility by Samford and WCU, who possess two high-octane offenses that have never really cared about playing much defense. Again, Wofford's offense was nowhere near good enough to make up for their inability to keep points off the board.

Honestly, I think Wofford needs a lot to go right to be successful. Ayers really managed to have a perfect balance of talent, coaching, and squeezing every ounce out of Wofford football. Conklin isn't Ayers and this team doesn't have the talent of those teams. Wofford doesn't have the money to overcome a bad hire, and they probably made one here. I watched several times last season where they were just physically whipped by their opponent. Wofford didn't always win, but I never saw them get shoved around under Ayers like they did last season.

Do I think they'll go 1-10? Probably not. That's hard to do. Do I look at their schedule and see games where they should be favored? No. Their best shots are back to back games against Samford and the Citadel.
 #54352  by gofurman
 Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:50 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:51 pm
A few of my thoughts. I'm not sure I see a rosy picture for Wofford.

Without going game by game, for me it's a birds' eye view problem. I have never been sold on Conklin. His arrival in Spartanburg and Ayers' departure always felt "weird." Over the next few seasons, Wofford lost a bunch of coaches and had a number of their best players transfer out. Usually, that does not scream "stability."

On the field, the data isn't promising. Offensively, the Terriers really lacked an identity last season. They moved away from the option, but similar to Furman's Bruce Fowler teams, didn't really demonstrate any way of moving the ball other than a direct handoff. Wofford was last or near last (by a healthy margin) in nearly every offensive category. They ran it well at times, but not well enough to compensate for their garish passing attack.

Defensively, it wasn't much better. Wofford's defense was really only surpassed in futility by Samford and WCU, who possess two high-octane offenses that have never really cared about playing much defense. Again, Wofford's offense was nowhere near good enough to make up for their inability to keep points off the board.

Honestly, I think Wofford needs a lot to go right to be successful. Ayers really managed to have a perfect balance of talent, coaching, and squeezing every ounce out of Wofford football. Conklin isn't Ayers and this team doesn't have the talent of those teams. Wofford doesn't have the money to overcome a bad hire, and they probably made one here. I watched several times last season where they were just physically whipped by their opponent. Wofford didn't always win, but I never saw them get shoved around under Ayers like they did last season.

Do I think they'll go 1-10? Probably not. That's hard to do. Do I look at their schedule and see games where they should be favored? No. Their best shots are back to back games against Samford and the Citadel.
Personally, I hope Woffd does just well enough to keep Conklin another year. Lose to us but get 3/4 wins somehow (Citadel? would love them to beat OOC Elon and KSU for the SoCon sake... yeah, that's the ticket - just those 3)
FUBeAR, Affirm liked this
 #54374  by Jasper
 Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:03 pm
In my view, the outlook for Furman depends on whether they have or have not upgraded the OC. For the last 2 seasons I think our players have been underutilized and were not the problem. Some of that was the result of poor or inexperienced QB play as well. That position appears to be upgraded for the coming season. We have excellent RBs with the possibility that Domanic Roberto could really be outstanding. The O line is experienced and deep. Miller is as potent a deep threat as anyone receiver in the league. The D returns a lot of really good players, and they were not the problem in the first place. If we improve the scheme and play calling, FU will be the surprise team in the league and not being rated gives them a chance to catch some teams napping. In talking to a couple of the kids on offense, I can tell you that they are very excited about Roper's changes.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #54386  by The Jackal
 Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:48 am
Jasper wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:03 pm
In my view, the outlook for Furman depends on whether they have or have not upgraded the OC. For the last 2 seasons I think our players have been underutilized and were not the problem. Some of that was the result of poor or inexperienced QB play as well. That position appears to be upgraded for the coming season. We have excellent RBs with the possibility that Domanic Roberto could really be outstanding. The O line is experienced and deep. Miller is as potent a deep threat as anyone receiver in the league. The D returns a lot of really good players, and they were not the problem in the first place. If we improve the scheme and play calling, FU will be the surprise team in the league and not being rated gives them a chance to catch some teams napping. In talking to a couple of the kids on offense, I can tell you that they are very excited about Roper's changes.
Defensively, I think we will be strong. We will need to plug some guys up front with a few graduation losses and will need some players to step up in the pass-rush department.

Last season, we were very strong against the run. We were less strong against the pass, but we'll be as deep this year in the defensive backfield as I can remember, so the pass defense numbers should improve. Our scoring defense was already doing strong work.

Offensively, our issues with getting a good veteran option at QB have been pretty well-chronicled. For whatever reason, it's been a tough position for Furman to try to solidify.

As has been the case for a few years, I think we have needed to see an elevated level of QB play. Some of that is experience. If Wilson (or whomever) takes that next step and gives us more consistent play at that position, I think we'll be in a good spot to make a run for the SoCon title.
 #54395  by Paul C
 Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:56 pm
Personally I think it had more to do w the QB position than the OC.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.