• Transfers

#47536  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:54 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:46 pm
Furman should have as minimal as possible graduate degree programs.
No athletics programs at Furman should influence adding or increasing any existing graduate degree programs at Furman.

There…that should save you some time.

De nada
 #47537  by cavedweller2
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:06 pm
That’s what I always say: Next time try 5!
 #47539  by FUBeAR
 Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:24 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:06 pm
That’s what I always say: Next time try 5!
I’ll go with “How many astro-sign medallions can you wear?,” Alex.
 #47541  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:09 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:51 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:46 pm
A little "homelessness", aka tough love, might be what's needed to stop this insanity. There's a difference between a player who has been able to graduate in 3 years and has one year of athletic eligibility left and a player who is just disgruntled over you name it and wants to transfer.

I wonder if a limit on how many transfers each team could take might be a good idea?
Instead of a limit…How about compensation $’s for the school that loses the Player…1 year of ‘rack rate’ full cost of attendance + tuition at the affected school for every year of eligibility remaining.

According to the US DoL’s Legal Head they are no longer Student-Athletes and are now Student-Workers…so…instead of annually renewable scholarships, they should become 4 year (eligibility years, not calendar years) scholarship contracts with buyout clauses, as described. Now, just like Coaches, the Players never actually pay the buyout, the Acquiring School pays it to the Affected School as a pass-thru.

That works, right?

Dang…we gotta get FUBeAR elected to the NCAA Board of Governers. He would fix this ish toot sweet.
If they are workers can we make them sign a covenant not to compete?
 #47542  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:35 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:09 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:51 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:46 pm
A little "homelessness", aka tough love, might be what's needed to stop this insanity. There's a difference between a player who has been able to graduate in 3 years and has one year of athletic eligibility left and a player who is just disgruntled over you name it and wants to transfer.

I wonder if a limit on how many transfers each team could take might be a good idea?
Instead of a limit…How about compensation $’s for the school that loses the Player…1 year of ‘rack rate’ full cost of attendance + tuition at the affected school for every year of eligibility remaining.

According to the US DoL’s Legal Head they are no longer Student-Athletes and are now Student-Workers…so…instead of annually renewable scholarships, they should become 4 year (eligibility years, not calendar years) scholarship contracts with buyout clauses, as described. Now, just like Coaches, the Players never actually pay the buyout, the Acquiring School pays it to the Affected School as a pass-thru.

That works, right?

Dang…we gotta get FUBeAR elected to the NCAA Board of Governers. He would fix this ish toot sweet.
If they are workers can we make them sign a covenant not to compete?
Enforcement of non-compete agreements is very difficult. Must be reasonable in terms of scope, geography, and term…among other requirements. Jackal can prolly expand upon/opine on this.

While FUBeAR is currently sitting in a Bar Association Litigation Section Monthly Breakfast, he is not an Attorney, doesn’t play one on TV, and did not stay at a Motel 6 last night…but he’s thinking the Buyout Agreement would be more straightforward and recoverable.
 #47543  by Affirm
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:44 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 8:54 pm
affirm wrote:
No athletics programs at Furman should influence adding or increasing any existing graduate degree programs at Furman.

There…that should save you some time.

De nada
Gracias.
But I will say it at least 95 more times if this kooky talk about adding graduate programs to attract football players continues.
Gracias also for typing de nada.
Had to look it up, but thanks to you, I now know what de nada means.
 #47544  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:20 am
How is it kooky? You’ve already pointed out that damn near everybody but FU offers an MBA. So it’s abnormal not to offer one. And Furman could have a really good one. So it seems sort of odd not to offer one.

But OK, let’s forget about retaining people because that is beneath us. I proposed that we accept the fact that guys are going to leave after 3-4 years and make it part of our program to try and place them in good grad programs with FB scholarship money to cover at least one year. We’d operate sort of like a JUCO for smart kids. You hated that too because I guess the faculty and football staff should never work together on anything that might help student athletes pursue advanced degrees. That kinda sucks because the whole point of going to FU is to get into top grad and professional schools.
FUBeAR, FU3, apaladin and 2 others liked this
 #47545  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:26 am
Furmanoid wrote:
How is it kooky? You’ve already pointed out that damn near everybody but FU offers an MBA. So it’s abnormal not to offer one. And Furman could have a really good one. So it seems sort of odd not to offer one.

But OK, let’s forget about retaining people because that is beneath us. I proposed that we accept the fact that guys are going to leave after 3-4 years and make it part of our program to try and place them in good grad programs with FB scholarship money to cover at least one year. We’d operate sort of like a JUCO for smart kids. You hated that too because I guess the faculty and football staff should never work together on anything that might help student athletes pursue advanced degrees. That kinda sucks because the whole point of going to FU is to get into top grad and professional schools.

Maybe we can get creative and loop in Clemson. If Harris Roberts attended Clemson and played for Furman, then maybe it's a workable frame.

I'm only mostly kidding.
 #47546  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:29 am
I also noticed that the Dartmouth kid announced an offer from Samford. So, there's a possibility we lose out on a QB transfer for lack of a grad program to attract him.

Now, that may be cool with everyone. I just don't think you can scream about QB play in October and then argue against adding grad programs in December.

This is the world we all live in now. This wasn't the world we all lived in 5 years ago.
FUBeAR, bj93 liked this
 #47547  by Davemeister
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:38 am
Furmanoid wrote:

Bingo.

Furman needs an MBA program, and NOT just for athletes. The idea that we should not offer one because it might benefit athletic teams is kooky.
bj93, DeepPurple, FUBeAR and 3 others liked this
 #47549  by Yadkin
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:45 pm
affirm wrote:
Oh, it must have escaped many of us that those opposing anything like this all worked their first jobs at the University of Chicago back in the 30s before coming to Furman to teach economics, etc., and pontificate on the virtues of D3 athletics and evils of D1, all while blowing 120+ candles. Paranoia is always under the pillow, afraid that Furman is going to sell its soul to athletics interests that will turn around and screw everything and everybody else. Ridiculous.

Two completely different animals (undergrad - grad), but some similarities. Recognizing a change in the landscape (sound familiar?), Furman created the "Furman Advantage" for very obvious reasons, to add value and attractiveness to the Furman experience and degree in a very competitive liberal arts environment. Great move by FU.

Why can't that recognition of a changing landscape and need for forward thinking be applied to other areas where competition exists?

A small, quality graduate program created by Furman and wholly administered by Furman could have many positive benefits over and above one or two student-athlete grad transfers. The fear mongering of it becoming a den of abuse and exploitation is totally unfounded.
FUBeAR, bj93, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #47550  by Sad Din
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:03 pm
All self-respecting institutions of national interest should have Law, Med and MBA Programs

For Med and MBA, could Dins partner with MUSC and CU to co-sponsor and get some NCAA waiver to allow grad students there play for Dins. NCAA gives waivers for just about anything so why not that.

As far as law school... every State needs a prestigous LS which I dont beleive USC nor Chasn fits the bill.

Also, how about a grad school on Sustainability? or Communications? If we want players those would be better than the others
 #47551  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:25 pm
Sad Din wrote:
All self-respecting institutions of national interest should have Law, Med and MBA Programs

For Med and MBA, could Dins partner with MUSC and CU to co-sponsor and get some NCAA waiver to allow grad students there play for Dins. NCAA gives waivers for just about anything so why not that.

As far as law school... every State needs a prestigous LS which I dont beleive USC nor Chasn fits the bill.

Also, how about a grad school on Sustainability? or Communications? If we want players those would be better than the others
Don’t believe the Professional Academic Programs (Law/Med) allow their students to participate in intercollegiate Athletics. Didn’t know that until Mercer had a Starting WR that wanted to start Law School there during his final year of eligibility and they wouldn’t ‘low it. Knowing their Prez…if they wouldn’t allow it, doubtful others would.

Also - seems one of those FU grad programs FUBeAR read about a while back had something to do with Sustainability. Could be wrong, but that would seem to fit the current environment at FU…don’t it?
 #47552  by Furmanoid
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:04 pm
The Sustainability thing hits a nerve. I majored in Geology, but FU no longer has a freaking geology department. Now they have Earth, Environmental and Sustainability Studies. So pathetically woke and stupid. I'm not sure the grads can even get licensed. An MS in that seems like an even bigger waste of time.

Anyway, I think you get the most bang for very few bucks with the MBA. I was looking at ND's roster and pretty much all of their old guys are in Mendoza School of Business. The MBA seems like the best path for people with iffy majors to get good jobs. I don't think that school's existence has harmed ND's brand too much.
 #47553  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:18 pm
Sad Din wrote:

Hot take.

Self-respecting institutions don't all need a law school. There are too many of them and many of them aren't particularly good schools.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.