• Around the SoCon

#46815  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:16 am
I did not realize until recently that Point started in East Point, Georgia, which is in the Atlanta area, and moved the campus to West Point, Georgia, which is not.

I am as yet unsure whether that is a macro-level branding effort or just a unique coincidence.
 #46820  by gman84
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:20 am
Scheduling ooc games is not easy! A lot of factors can make things sticky. I hate that Mercer did not get in, it's not like they planned it that way. The SoCon has to establish itself again to get national attention.
 #46822  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:25 am
gman84 wrote:
Scheduling ooc games is not easy! A lot of factors can make things sticky. I hate that Mercer did not get in, it's not like they planned it that way. The SoCon has to establish itself again to get national attention.
Seems there needs to be a push to keep scheduling teams from other multi-bid leagues.

I know the tendency is to put a lot of Big South/OVC teams on the calendar, which makes since given geography. However, those are usually 1 bid leagues and do not really raise the national profile beyond adding another D1 win.

Wofford, to their credit, scheduled both Elon and KSU this season. KSU is a playoff team and Elon finished 3rd in the CAA.
 #46829  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:25 am
gman84 wrote:
Seems there needs to be a push to keep scheduling teams from other multi-bid leagues.

I know the tendency is to put a lot of Big South/OVC teams on the calendar, which makes since given geography. However, those are usually 1 bid leagues and do not really raise the national profile beyond adding another D1 win.

Wofford, to their credit, scheduled both Elon and KSU this season. KSU is a playoff team and Elon finished 3rd in the CAA.
Have you seen Montana State’s (a seeded Team) FCS OOC schedule?
* FBS G5 6-5 Team (loss)
* Drake - a 2-7 non-scholarship PFL Team, who padded the win records of 1 MVFC & 1 Big Sky Team this Fall.
* San Diego - non-scholarship PFL Team, who padded the win records of 3 Big Sky Teams this Fall.

Also, they were 1-1 vs. 2 of the other BSC Playoff Teams that they played. They didn’t play 2 other Big Sky Playoff Teams.

Also…check out Dixie State (AKA FCS’s Washington Generals)…a transitioning from D2, winless in D1, with their only win over a winless D2, Team…who padded the resumes of 5 Big Sky, 2 MVFC, and 2 AQ7 Teams this Fall - yep 7 Playoff Teams were had their Trails to the Playoffs Blazed by the Dixie State Trailblazers. Bubble-Team Stephen F. Austin is probably OUT (and Mercer IN) if they hadn’t dialed up the Generals…er…Trailblazers.

If SoCon Teams schedule up…the Committee will cite not enough wins for excluding SoCon Teams, while ‘excusing’ UNI from the same scrutiny

If SoCon Teams don’t schedule up…the Committee will cite strength of schedule, while seeding this garbage from Montana State.

Seriously…let the 24 Teams of the MVFC & the Big Sky have it all or as many as they want…and do something AUTONOMOUS.

At-Large Selection has been a farce for a while now. Time for things to get shaken up / changed.

Tell the bellhop boys on the battery to begin the shelling. Time for the SoCon to secede from the FCS Playoffs & create something else…SoCon / Sunbelt challenge…hmmmm?
Last edited by FUBeAR on Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #46830  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:53 am
The thing the SoCon REALLY needs to do is start winning some games in the post season. That would help.

100% likely, though, that if Mercer had made the field they'd have played Kennesaw State in Round 1 and then gone to ETSU in round 2. That's been the blueprint now for a while.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #46831  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:03 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:53 am
The thing the SoCon REALLY needs to do is start winning some games in the post season. That would help.

100% likely, though, that if Mercer had made the field they'd have played Kennesaw State in Round 1 and then gone to ETSU in round 2. That's been the blueprint now for a while.
Sure…and then…if we have 2 SoCon Teams in Round 2, we only get 1 to the Quarterfinals…and where do they go?

1 guess….the Fargo Dome…

System is gamed by selection & triple stacked (byes, home games, regional ‘gifts’)

Nah…NCAA crumbling…Be autonomous…
 #46834  by The Jackal
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:39 am
Hey, I'm still beating the drum to go back to 16 teams. Drop the auto bids for the Northeast, Big South, and Pioneer Leagues.

Wouldn't this be better?

1. Sam Houston (10-0)
Incarnate Word (9-2)

Montana State (9-2)
Missouri State (8-3)

Villanova (9-2)
UT-Martin (9-2)

4. Sacremento State (9-2)
Southeastern Louisiana (8-3)

3. James Madison (10-1)
UC Davis (8-3)

Montana (9-2)
South Dakota State (8-3)

East Tennessee (10-1)
Kennesaw State (10-1)

2. NDSU (10-1)
Eastern Washington (9-2)
 #46835  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:39 am
FCS is no different than FBS. Both are run by a couple of conferences and they take care of their own.
FUBeAR liked this
 #46867  by FUBeAR
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:56 pm
VMI's Michael Jackson and Jakob Herres announce they're entering transfer portal.
11 VMI Players entered the Portal…Covid extra year & no grad school. Nothing else for them to do if they want to play another year.

Many of them already have multiple FCS & some FBS offers. Many of those offers are from MVFC Teams.

Seems odd that the weak SoCon only has one Playoff worthy team (vs. 6 from the MVFC), but the Players from a .500 in the SoCon 4th place Team are snatching up offers from such strong Teams like they are 5 Star Recruits.
apaladin, AstroDin, FUpaladin08 and 1 others liked this
 #46875  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:11 am
This has to be extremely frustrating for Mercer, and the SoCon needs to come up with a way to combat this now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak. With JMU jumping the CAA is probably going to be in the same boat as the SoCon.

Pre this selection snub for Mercer I was telling myself Furman is doing the right thing with its OCC FCS schedule. Furman has Kennesaw, CSU, Tenn Tech, NCA&T, and W &M on future schedules. I'm not sure any of those matchups will add any credibility to the selection committee's decision in Furman's case. I do think there is bias at play here—if Furman was in Mercer's shoes I think there would have been more pressure to put the Paladins in over NIU but I could be way off here.

ETSU has to take out KSU. Next, the Bucs have to go to war in Fargo and beat them. Until a SoCon team takes down a Big Sky or Valley school on the road the SoCon will be sitting on the bench.
FUpaladin08, dornb liked this
 #46879  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:26 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:11 am
This has to be extremely frustrating for Mercer, and the SoCon needs to come up with a way to combat this now that the cat is out of the bag so to speak. With JMU jumping the CAA is probably going to be in the same boat as the SoCon.

Pre this selection snub for Mercer I was telling myself Furman is doing the right thing with its OCC FCS schedule. Furman has Kennesaw, CSU, Tenn Tech, NCA&T, and W &M on future schedules. I'm not sure any of those matchups will add any credibility to the selection committee's decision in Furman's case. I do think there is bias at play here—if Furman was in Mercer's shoes I think there would have been more pressure to put the Paladins in over NIU but I could be way off here.

ETSU has to take out KSU. Next, the Bucs have to go to war in Fargo and beat them. Until a SoCon team takes down a Big Sky or Valley school on the road the SoCon will be sitting on the bench.
Pretty much. The "rise" of the MVFC pretty evenly coincided with the departure of App State and Georgia Southern from the FCS. The SoCon lost its clout, and never really got it back.

The path back requires beating Kennesaw State. That would be a huge monkey off our collective backs, as they've been a thorn in the side of the SoCon for a number of years now.
FUpaladin08, dornb liked this
 #46891  by FUpaladin08
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:54 pm
Last few comments are absolutely correct. Scheduling up will be negated by the regional formula of the playoffs > play a SE team first then off to Fargo. So a series of events have to happen where a SoCon team makes it past that 2nd round. The issue has been when two SoCon teams are in they meet in the 1st and 2nd rounds. The only way around that is better regular season records with wins over better regular season teams. That could move SoCon teams around in the bracket. The current problem (and the past since losing GSU/App) is the SoCon beats up on itself. There are quality teams (like it was said the players are picked off in the portal) with mediocre records. I remember a point in the season where it was said here 3 teams would go to the playoffs, then VMI and UTC fell into the middle of the SoCon. That’s ok in other conferences (and in the SoCon past) but not anymore.

The only real solution is for the lucky SoCon team that gets the auto bid to make it to the 3rd round consistently. Wofford has really been the only ones to do that in the last 15 years. At the same time the SoCon has to schedule better. Beating the Big South is not good enough. Then there needs to be a consistent group of leaders at the top of the SoCon that will not fall to the other teams. Is that ETSU, Mercer, and UTC? We thought it was Wofford and Furman for awhile. Are VMI and Samford gonna do it? What about the Citadel?

Until we have a consistent group at the top of the conference, with playoff worthy records, and decent OOC wins we won’t see the playoff scenarios of the early 2000s where the SoCon would routinely have a presence in the quarter and semi finals. That’s not to say we need winners and losers, we just need the same winners to develop a championship pedigree again for the SoCon.
AstroDin liked this
 #46892  by Furmanoid
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:20 pm
But unless you are REALLY confident in your team, there isn't much sense in playing hard OOC games. When you do that, you risk having a really crappy, hot seat worthy record. If you win your easy OOC's and come in 3rd or so in the SoCon, your job is safe. Fans might be a little grumpy, but they won't call for your head. Why risk it?

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.