• ETSU GAMEDAY

#17608  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:17 pm
Gut check in this one.

Over a season, there will be games like this you have to win.
 #17609  by purplehorse
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:18 pm
Who in the world was that pass to? Was there a receiver nearby? He should have just RUN after a great escape!
Last edited by purplehorse on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #17610  by The Jackal
purplehorse wrote:
Who is the world was that pass to? Was there a receiver nearby? He should have RUN air after a great escape!
Gordon was open in the back of the endzone. Ball didn't get there.
 #17611  by paladinduece
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:21 pm
The Jackal wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:02 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:01 pm
I think we may have over-rated our offense just a wee bit.
We just aren't playing well. I don't think we are a 40 point per game group, but we're better than this.
Just a game we aren’t playing well, coaches probably wouldn’t give themselves and A either. Enthusiasm is not where it has been, but just have to grind it and get the W. There are some glaring things that need to be addressed, but the coaches know and can see it. Just get the W then move on and get back to work. I would like to see Grainger roll out more and use his legs to make the defense panic a bit, and at some point somebody on this defense is going to have to step up and start laying some licks.
To be a complete QB, though, he needs to be able to stand back there and sling it.

Any team can find an athlete that can roll out and hit crossing routes. Good teams have guys that can hang back, scan the field, and hit receivers.
Not any QB can be effective rolling out. Guys who are a threat bring a different element when they do. Notice I didn’t say every play but it has been non existent today and we have done it in previous games. You have a guy with wheels and an arm outside of the pocket you have their secondary’s eyes in the wrong spot a lot of the time. Utilize your strengths.
 #17612  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:24 pm
paladinduece wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
We just aren't playing well. I don't think we are a 40 point per game group, but we're better than this.
Just a game we aren’t playing well, coaches probably wouldn’t give themselves and A either. Enthusiasm is not where it has been, but just have to grind it and get the W. There are some glaring things that need to be addressed, but the coaches know and can see it. Just get the W then move on and get back to work. I would like to see Grainger roll out more and use his legs to make the defense panic a bit, and at some point somebody on this defense is going to have to step up and start laying some licks.
To be a complete QB, though, he needs to be able to stand back there and sling it.

Any team can find an athlete that can roll out and hit crossing routes. Good teams have guys that can hang back, scan the field, and hit receivers.
Not any QB can be effective rolling out. Guys who are a threat bring a different element when they do. Notice I didn’t say every play but it has been non existent today and we have done it in previous games. You have a guy with wheels and an arm outside of the pocket you have their secondary’s eyes in the wrong spot a lot of the time. Utilize your strengths.
It's also the strength of ETSU's defense.

Nasir Player, #45, is probably the best defensive player in the league and one of the best in the FCS. You don't want to roll into or away from him too many times. He'll get his.
 #17613  by Bootie
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:26 pm
He has rolled out a few times today.
 #17614  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:28 pm
Did Grainger get major shook mentally after that facemask in the first quarter???
 #17616  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:30 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:28 pm
Did Grainger get major shook mentally after that facemask in the first quarter???
It's possible.

I've said this before, but our offense has a lot (like a lot a lot) of moving parts - personnel, shifts, presnap reads, movement, etc. There's a lot of places where things can break down.
 #17617  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:35 pm
Defense Defense Defense, great game by the D
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #17618  by paladinduece
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:36 pm
The Jackal wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Nasir Player, #45, is probably the best defensive player in the league and one of the best in the FCS. You don't want to roll into or away from him too many times. He'll get his.
Yep he is a stud but playing an inside technique which he has several times with a backer clouding him is what you want to rodeo or lasso a dual threat qb. Bottom line is we havnt done it and what we are doing isn’t working. He has completed only 5 passes including that 4 yard dump pass on a 3rd and long. Look back at the rollouts on third down in previous games when he used his legs to convert in those situations.
 #17619  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:38 pm
paladinduece wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:36 pm
The Jackal wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
paladinduece wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Yep he is a stud but playing an inside technique which he has several times with a backer clouding him is what you want to rodeo or lasso a dual threat qb. Bottom line is we havnt done it and what we are doing isn’t working. He has completed only 5 passes including that 4 yard dump pass on a 3rd and long. Look back at the rollouts on third down in previous games when he used his legs to convert in those situations.
Oh, we've looked awful offensively. I'm just saying that at the outset of the season, we knew there would be growing pains with a freshman QB.

Remember back to Blazejowski. There were games like this early in his career.
 #17622  by DungeonRealm
 Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:42 pm
Finish this
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.