• Game 4 - Mercer

#17177  by Affirm
 Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:07 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:15 pm
Flagman wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 pm
Sagarin has us as 10 point favorites. Sagarin had Austin Peay as 2 point favorites over Mercer and we all remember how that one turned out.
I like our chances if we go out there and roll up our sleeves.

I noted this at the outset of this thread. If Furman wants to get back in the conversation nationally, this is the sort of game where you show it.
Yes, this is the sort of game where you show it.
However, I doubt that "just beating Mercer" would show it, even though we would all be happier if we do beat Mercer. To show it, i.e., to get back in the national conversation, I believe we would have to do something like
- win by a margin of something like 30+ points, or
- come back to win after being down by 30, or
- have multiple players break records, including offense and defense, or
- have multiple freshman and sophomore players who continue to perform increasingly well as they already have begun to do, AND
- continue to perform at an appropriately high level as we proceed to the next game on the schedule, and the one after that, etc.
Go Furman.
 #17178  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:26 pm
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Sagarin has us as 10 point favorites. Sagarin had Austin Peay as 2 point favorites over Mercer and we all remember how that one turned out.

I noted this at the outset of this thread. If Furman wants to get back in the conversation nationally, this is the sort of game where you show it.
However, I doubt that "just beating Mercer" would show it, even though we would all be happier if we do beat Mercer. To show it, i.e., to get back in the national conversation, I believe we would have to do something like
- have multiple freshman and sophomore players who continue to perform increasingly well as they already have begun to do, AND
- continue to perform at an appropriately high level as we proceed to the next game on the schedule, and the one after that, etc.
Go Furman.
It is a season long endeavor, but for the last decade or so, Furman did a lot of one-step forward/two steps back.

Recently, we've done more two steps forward/one step back.

Now, we just need to move forward.
MNORM and 1 others liked this
 #17180  by The Jackal
 Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:40 pm

This won't mean much to any of you, but it sure looks like on the last few seconds of that video that the Mercer bus is taking I-16, not I-475 towards Atlanta.

Not sure when the video was shot, but if you tempt the Macon to Greenville drive after noon on a Friday, you're apt not to arrive in Greenville until 10 pm. I'm sure they'll be expected at Tommy's before then.
 #17181  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:

This won't mean much to any of you, but it sure looks like on the last few seconds of that video that the Mercer bus is taking I-16, not I-475 towards Atlanta.

Not sure when the video was shot, but if you tempt the Macon to Greenville drive after noon on a Friday, you're apt not to arrive in Greenville until 10 pm. I'm sure they'll be expected at Tommy's before then.
They left around 9:32 AM #BusDriversTweet #WhoKnew

BTW - FUBeAR’s Former Bear left Maconga @ 2:00 PM. ETA, Riverplace in GVL, per WAZE “Follow My Drive” functionality = 6:00 PM

If you go thru ATL going to GVL from Maconga, you’re doing it wrong.
The old blue crab liked this
 #17182  by gman
 Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:

You are correct. How and when Mercer gets here means nothing to me.
Jasper liked this
 #17183  by FUBeAR
 Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:52 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:

You are correct. How and when Mercer gets here means nothing to me.
I bet it would if one of Mercer’s Players cut their pinkie trying to open a window “on the bus ride over” (when it all began, y’know?)

...miss ya GUS!

* Sorry...thought this was a gofurman post. Oh well, gave me a laugh thinking about those long ago weekly prediculations.
hypercycloid liked this
 #17188  by gofurman
 Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:28 pm
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Go Furman.
Beating Mercer is more than enough win. We are top 20 and a 10 point fav at home. That means neutral we are 7 pt fav given our standing therefore any win justifies our ranking
 #17189  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:48 am
gofurman wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Go Furman.
Beating Mercer is more than enough win. We are top 20 and a 10 point fav at home. That means neutral we are 7 pt fav given our standing therefore any win justifies our ranking
No. To me, the phrase “if Furman wants to get back in the conversation nationally” means being, on a regular basis, at least in the top 15 nationally. Regular basis. Continually. We are perhaps at that ranking level at the moment, but just barely and any slip up knocks us out of it. We can get there. Remains to be seen whether we will. Just beating Mercer will help for another week to just stay, tenuously, where we are. And losing to Mercer today knocks us down considerably in the rankings even though not out of the SoCon championship possibility.
 #17190  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:17 am
I heard a couple of players in interviews say that it will be nice to play someone on their level. I hope they don't think that all of sudden it will get easier. It won't be any easier Saturday than the last 2 weeks. Because if they think that it will be a long day. It is going to be a TOUGH game Saturday. Be ready Paladins. Beat MU.
 #17191  by Jasper
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:33 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:17 am
I heard a couple of players in interviews say that it will be nice to play someone on their level. I hope they don't think that all of sudden it will get easier. It won't be any easier Saturday than the last 2 weeks. Because if they think that it will be a long day. It is going to be a TOUGH game Saturday. Be ready Paladins. Beat MU.
That is nonsense. I can assure you that they don't think that at all. They even told me that the reason we laid the wood to VMI last year while other teams had tough games with them is that CCH stresses respect for every opponent. They took VMI seriously and trounced them as a result. They are certainly taking Mercer very seriously and are well prepared.
 #17192  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:42 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:48 am
gofurman wrote:
affirm wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Go Furman.
No. To me, the phrase “if Furman wants to get back in the conversation nationally” means being, on a regular basis, at least in the top 15 nationally. Regular basis. Continually. We are perhaps at that ranking level at the moment, but just barely and any slip up knocks us out of it. We can get there. Remains to be seen whether we will. Just beating Mercer will help for another week to just stay, tenuously, where we are. And losing to Mercer today knocks us down considerably in the rankings even though not out of the SoCon championship possibility.
aFFIRM, I do get you. I see your interpretation. But we have just gotten to this point and are moving in the right direction I mean we can't flip but so fast as this isn't basketball where one Curry shows up and you make the elite eight, football takes so many guys and experience

2016- 3-8

HENDRIX
2017 - playoffs 8 wins
2018 - SoCon champs (6 wins w one game cancelled)

*also, this one game shouldn't carry too much importance as we could lose today and do everything. and it is a bad matchup for us. I would rather play Citadel bc we stop run better holding Woff and Citadel to 14 and 17 last year
 #17219  by gman
 Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:45 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:15 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:16 am
PLEASE PLEASE win this game !!! BUT if we don't it's still all there for our taking. 8-4 is probably in playoffs and honestly w SoCon beating up itself (I won't jinx by mentioning the standings) we could probably drop 1 or 2 and might win SoCon.

I have made it clear this one scares me - I am a fan, not a player. But players should not fear anyone but RESPECT them all !!! Mercer is gonna come our throwing - take it as a challenge and let's shut down a passing team. Ellington at GSU showed us we can't lay back and play passive... Riddle isn't near as eluxive. HIT HIM HARD. BLITZ, stop the RB and hit the QB - its that simple

this would be a great win.
Why are you so scared of Mercer? This IS going to be a win. Furman is much better than Mercer. We are better coached and have better talent. Furman by 20.
Dang, I was way off on my prediction.