• The 2020 Season

#29684  by Thorny
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:12 pm
I don't think this needs to be said but Universities, especially smaller private institutions like Furman, are hemoraging money on a massive scale. No one wants things to get back to normal more than they do.
 #29685  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:31 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:47 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:43 pm
Totally agre with MLB veteran umpire Joe West. Here is what he said:
The 67-year-old West said he doesn't believe the death total being attributed to the coronavirus -- which has surpassed 130,000 in the United States -- is an accurate figure.

"Those statistics aren't accurate, I don't care who's counting them,'' West told USA Today Sports. "When country music [singer] Joe Diffie died, they said he died of the coronavirus. He had Stage 4 lung cancer. The coronavirus may have accelerated his death, but let's be realistic.

"Our system is so messed up they have emptied hospitals because there's no elective surgery. The government has been giving these hospitals extra money if someone dies of the coronavirus. So everybody that dies is because of coronavirus. I don't care if you get hit by a car, it's coronavirus.''
Is he now a doctor or medical expert? We have now gone to believing a baseball umpire? Might be the most ridiculous post yet. Maybe you were trying to give us a good laugh at the end of the day? If so, thank you!
He just stated facts, nothing medical. Joe Diffies cancer death was listed COVID, We are throwing money to hospitals for reporting COVID deaths. All true. The system is screwed up, probably the biggest truth. Stop paying hospitals 3 times the normal death an$ COVID deaths drop drastically immediately.
 #29686  by apaladin
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:53 pm
Not good. "Big Ten expected to cancel all non-conference competitions for Fall 2020." https://www.kcrg.com/2020/07/09/big-ten ... fall-2020/

Add the ACC to this same scenario. Makes no sense. Does this mean no Clemson/S Carolina game this year? https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/07 ... -for-2020/

Conference only games will kill the SoCon. Here is the SEC schedule of non-conference games. https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 7ba68.html
The ACC playing only non-conference is still just rumor but it’s prolly coming Notre Dame is screwed if they do, but they will prolly include ND. ND could end up playing their first FCS teams.
 #29687  by Paul C
 Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:05 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:45 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:31 pm
the virus is not NEAR as deadly as originally feared and basically no risk to healthy people under 40. And only a slight risk to those 40-60.
Up to the 60th birthday or all the way thru the age of 60 until the 61st birthday? Asking for a friend.
Your friends immune system has been strengthened by time spent in the “Woodwinds” apartment complex, and therefore has T-cell and antibodies galore that render coronavirus impotent.
QCGlue, cavedweller2 liked this
 #29688  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:27 am
Paul C wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
the virus is not NEAR as deadly as originally feared and basically no risk to healthy people under 40. And only a slight risk to those 40-60.
Up to the 60th birthday or all the way thru the age of 60 until the 61st birthday? Asking for a friend.
Your friends immune system has been strengthened by time spent in the “Woodwinds” apartment complex, and therefore has T-cell and antibodies galore that render coronavirus impotent.
Thanks. I had forgotten about the Woodwinds Vaccine. I’ll pass that along to him, but I’ll avoid using the word impotent, if that’s OK.
Paul C liked this
 #29690  by gofurman
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:29 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:53 pm
Not good. "Big Ten expected to cancel all non-conference competitions for Fall 2020." https://www.kcrg.com/2020/07/09/big-ten ... fall-2020/

Add the ACC to this same scenario. Makes no sense. Does this mean no Clemson/S Carolina game this year? https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2020/07 ... -for-2020/

Conference only games will kill the SoCon. Here is the SEC schedule of non-conference games. https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge ... 7ba68.html
The ACC playing only non-conference is still just rumor but it’s prolly coming Notre Dame is screwed if they do, but they will prolly include ND. ND could end up playing their first FCS teams.
they have already addressed ND. ACCsaid they would assist ND if necessary
 #29694  by JohnW
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:17 am
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The 67-year-old West said he doesn't believe the death total being attributed to the coronavirus -- which has surpassed 130,000 in the United States -- is an accurate figure.

"Those statistics aren't accurate, I don't care who's counting them,'' West told USA Today Sports. "When country music [singer] Joe Diffie died, they said he died of the coronavirus. He had Stage 4 lung cancer. The coronavirus may have accelerated his death, but let's be realistic.

"Our system is so messed up they have emptied hospitals because there's no elective surgery. The government has been giving these hospitals extra money if someone dies of the coronavirus. So everybody that dies is because of coronavirus. I don't care if you get hit by a car, it's coronavirus.''
Is he now a doctor or medical expert? We have now gone to believing a baseball umpire? Might be the most ridiculous post yet. Maybe you were trying to give us a good laugh at the end of the day? If so, thank you!
He just stated facts, nothing medical. Joe Diffies cancer death was listed COVID, We are throwing money to hospitals for reporting COVID deaths. All true. The system is screwed up, probably the biggest truth. Stop paying hospitals 3 times the normal death an$ COVID deaths drop drastically immediately.
Even stage four cancer patients can live for years. Each individual is different. If Covid hastened that death, it caused that death. A logical extension of this would be to shoot a cancer patient, go into court and say he was dying anyway. You can call Mr. West as an expert witness. Most ridiculous thing I've read or heard in a long time.
fufanatic liked this
 #29697  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:43 am
JohnW wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Even stage four cancer patients can live for years. Each individual is different. If Covid hastened that death, it caused that death. A logical extension of this would be to shoot a cancer patient, go into court and say he was dying anyway. You can call Mr. West as an expert witness. Most ridiculous thing I've read or heard in a long time.
It isn’t ridiculous. This is a big change from the way things are normally coded. If we started doing this across the board with other coexisting problems like Covid, we would see a miraculous drop in cancer deaths. About 6 years ago my mother in law, who had a blood cancer called Wallenstroms, died when she got a blockage in her colon. Cause of death on certificate: Wallenstroms. Two years ago my son, who had leukemia, died of a drug resistant bacterial infection that could have killed people without leukemia. Cause of death on certificate: leukemia. It’s not so much a matter of right or wrong. It’s a matter of consistency. For some reason in this case the protocol enhances the number of deaths of particular disease. But usually with other stuff they just blame the cancer.

But there aren’t any college players with advanced cancer so it shouldn’t matter for this discussion. The risk to college football players is effectively 0.
apaladin, fupaladin01 liked this
 #29702  by JohnKX512
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:09 am
Furmanoid wrote:
JohnW wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:

It isn’t ridiculous. This is a big change from the way things are normally coded. If we started doing this across the board with other coexisting problems like Covid, we would see a miraculous drop in cancer deaths. About 6 years ago my mother in law, who had a blood cancer called Wallenstroms, died when she got a blockage in her colon. Cause of death on certificate: Wallenstroms. Two years ago my son, who had leukemia, died of a drug resistant bacterial infection that could have killed people without leukemia. Cause of death on certificate: leukemia. It’s not so much a matter of right or wrong. It’s a matter of consistency. For some reason in this case the protocol enhances the number of deaths of particular disease. But usually with other stuff they just blame the cancer.

But there aren’t any college players with advanced cancer so it shouldn’t matter for this discussion. The risk to college football players is effectively 0.
If a player catches it, it will spread. To other team mates, coaches, personel, refs, reporters, administration, food and hospitality, hotels, etc.

Even professional leagues are in a "bubble" yet the cases are still spreading. Can you, for once in your life, look past the immediate consequences and see the relation to everything else in our society? Let's nip it in the bud and stop the spread. Every other country in the world seems to get this except the US.

Overwhelming hospitals:
https://www.newsweek.com/43-florida-icu ... ge-1516006

Cases rising:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... 020-07-09/

Excess deaths over normal:
https://wptv.com/rebound/excess-deaths- ... in-florida
 #29704  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:11 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:09 am
Furmanoid wrote:
JohnW wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:

If a player catches it, it will spread. To other team mates, coaches, personel, refs, reporters, administration, food and hospitality, hotels, etc.

Even professional leagues are in a "bubble" yet the cases are still spreading. Can you, for once in your life, look past the immediate consequences and see the relation to everything else in our society? Let's nip it in the bud and stop the spread. Every other country in the world seems to get this except the US.

Overwhelming hospitals:
https://www.newsweek.com/43-florida-icu ... ge-1516006

Cases rising:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronaviru ... 020-07-09/

Excess deaths over normal:
https://wptv.com/rebound/excess-deaths- ... in-florida
There is no “If a player catches it..”. Players are going to catch it season or no season. They’re already showing up to campus with it. It’s going to spread all over the campuses. I’m baffled that a relatively recent graduate like yourself has already forgotten what college is like. I guess the refs and reporters will be protected by cancelling but they were already at greater risk off the field.

How would cancelling nip anything in the bud? For months experts like Osterholm have said that you can’t shutdown your way out of this. At some point you have to protect the vulnerable and let the virus spread among the healthy or this will never end. That’s what is happening now, but people want to screw it up. Shutting things down may give you a safe feeling, but the long term consequences are more death and economic devastation. Do you want this over in a couple of months or do you want to drag it until it overlaps with flu season? That’s a brilliant idea that many “experts” seem to be pushing for.
apaladin, fupaladin01 liked this
 #29705  by JohnW
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:15 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
JohnW wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Roundball wrote:
apaladin wrote:

I am very sorry to hear about your son, it is a terrible thing to outlive a child.

The idea that Covid or anything else is less a problem because the victim is very old or very sick is wrong headed. If Covid shortened this man's life by a day, it possibly robbed him of saying goodbye to a child, finding God, or a hundred other things. I've no doubt that deaths are mis-characterized all the time for funding and/or liability. It's never right, but to use the "well he was going to die anyway" to downplay the seriousness of this scourge, probably because of a political posture, is (well the nicest thing I can say) irresponsible.
76MrMoto, JohnKX512, Roundball and 1 others liked this
 #29706  by cavedweller2
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:30 pm
Paul C wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Paul C wrote:
This is good news.
 #29707  by JohnKX512
 Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:35 pm
It’s hard for me to say there will be a season. This thread is about this year. My ethical thoughts are that there will be no season.

These kids are not paid and for us to ask them to play games while we are all socially distanced and wearing masks, forcing them to be tested and isolate; this feels like Roman gladiators. This is not fair to both the students and general public.

You can agree or disagree. I just think we should and will support the decision of Furman Athletics.
Roundball, furpep, 76MrMoto liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.