• D.C. resigns

#9957  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:58 pm
I reluctantly will admit to the Wofford Terriers popping champagne corks when Staggs moved on.

It’s fair to wonder how well he will fare without having 2 triple option teams on his schedule.
 #9958  by gofurman
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:35 pm
This is not good. Staggs was improving us. Let me put it this way.. does Clemson want to lose Venables??? NOOOO. If your good we want to keep him. And I think Staggs was good. I find it odd that some of the same people that think it’s ok to lose him were huge fans of Staggs. I am a fan of what he was doing overall (though pass D still struggled)

Also, for those that choose to forget ... when you lose your DC it can set your D back a year as the new guy may institute new principles.
Last edited by gofurman on Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #9960  by Flagman
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:40 pm
I have confidence in Clay Hendrix to put together the best staff possible. Our new DC isn't new to the staff. I'm certain he has bought into the system Clay has put in place.My glass is always half-full.
FUKA61 liked this
 #9962  by gofurman
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:50 pm
Paul C wrote:
I reluctantly will admit to the Wofford Terriers popping champagne corks when Staggs moved on.

It’s fair to wonder how well he will fare without having 2 triple option teams on his schedule.
This is a GREAT (and crappy) point by Paul C. Staggs was undefeated vs Citadel - 6-0 lifetime - and he owned Wofford this year. He could REALLY coach Vs triple option. Staggs beat the Citadel TWICE (at Charleston Southern) the year Citadel beat South Carolina ! Think about that. For a conference that has two option teams ..

No matter your positive or negative outlook this singular point does really stink. PaulC is a huge fan and very positive and he agrees this could really hurt Vs a system we see twice a year

Also it clearly took a while to get our O going last year and that was with CO-OCs .. there is no CO-DC so it will take a while
 #9963  by Afurmanfan
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:05 pm
Guys- we lost Bobby Johnson and Bruce Fowler the same year- did we manage to have a good defense after that?
We went to playoffs 3 of next 4 years.
You couldn’t have had a bigger loss of defensive experience than when both left.
Jimmys and Joes mo important than x’s and o’s- and we are rapidly building quality and depth.
We will be fine.
 #9965  by Paul C
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:15 pm
If we hire good coaches we will lose them consistently...it’s just the way it is. More concerned about HC ability to find new coaching talent than I am about any of the particular coaches. And so far HC has shown ability to find good coaches.
Jasper liked this
 #9969  by MNORM
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:

This is a GREAT (and crappy) point by Paul C. Staggs was undefeated vs Citadel - 6-0 lifetime - and he owned Wofford this year. He could REALLY coach Vs triple option. Staggs beat the Citadel TWICE (at Charleston Southern) the year Citadel beat South Carolina ! Think about that. For a conference that has two option teams ..

No matter your positive or negative outlook this singular point does really stink. PaulC is a huge fan and very positive and he agrees this could really hurt Vs a system we see twice a year

Also it clearly took a while to get our O going last year and that was with CO-OCs .. there is no CO-DC so it will take a while
You need to take a big ol' step back from the ledge. Sure, Staggs was very good at defending the TO last year when we played Wofford and Cit. You can also credit our offense laying 27 points on Wofford by 9 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter, and forcing them to play from way behind. The Wofford and Cit games are two games we play every season (sometimes 3). In 2020 we'll also play 3 TO teams when we play KSU again. Staggs was also our DC for; our debacle against Elon, the Samford loss, the 577 yard WCU performance, Mercer's backup QBs throwing for 231 yards and 3 TDs and Tyray Devezin running for 185.
The idea that this is somehow going to set the program back multiple years when he was only here for two seasons is irrational. Staggs is young and wants to move up the ladder. Throwing an extra $50-100K at him was not going to change his mind. We're a small private school...it's part of the game. I'm confident CCH will find people who will put a quality product on the field...he hasn't disappointed us yet.
FUKA61, din23 liked this
 #9970  by The Jackal
 Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:01 pm
MNORM wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
Paul C wrote:

You need to take a big ol' step back from the ledge. Sure, Staggs good at defending the TO last year when we played Wofford and Cit. You can also credit our offense laying 27 points on Wofford by 9 minutes remaining in the 3rd quarter, and forcing them to play from way behind. The Wofford and Cit games are two games we play every season (sometimes 3). In 2020 we'll also play 3 TO teams when we play KSU again. Staggs was also our DC for; our debacle against Elon, the Samford loss, the 577 yard WCU performance, Mercer's backup QBs throwing for 231 yards and 3 TDs and Tyray Devezin running for 185.
The idea that this is somehow going to set the program back multiple years when he was only here for two seasons is irrational. Staggs is young and wants to move up the ladder. Throwing an extra $50-100K at him was not going to change his mind. We're a small private school...it's part of the game. I'm confident CCH will find people who will put a quality product on the field...he hasn't disappointed us yet.
I think this is the proper way to look at it.

Staggs has had success against the option, but so have a lot of Furman coaches. Kyle Gillenwater, for instance, held a top 10 Citadel team to 19 points in Charleston in 2016. Furman sees the option as often as any team in D1 football. Heck, most of our offensive staff is as well versed in option principles as any defensive coach we could hire.
MNORM liked this
 #9995  by FUBeAR
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:26 pm
Time to put a call in to Fred Garvin. He can take care of this situation.
Live Look-in @ Coach Hendrix today...

Alfred, GET ME FRED GARVIN!
Nevermind Alfred. False Alarm. Tell Fred Garvin to put his cape back in the closet & stand down.
 #9997  by The Jackal
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:44 pm
So, were we able to confirm the initial reports that Williams will be moving into the coordinator's role?

I would also mention that a Paladin alum, Mo Duncan, coaches DBs at North Greenville.
 #9999  by Jasper
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:44 pm
So, were we able to confirm the initial reports that Williams will be moving into the coordinator's role?

I would also mention that a Paladin alum, Mo Duncan, coaches DBs at North Greenville.

To be honest, I didnt even think to bring that up. I was shocked & happy to hear that Williams was still very much here & coaching today. I didn't confirm the extent of his duties but I would guess that if his elevation had been formalized, CCH would make that announcement. I will try to get confimation in the next day or so. What I can confirm is that he is fielding a lot of calls and since this is not his first rodeo, he had several contingency plans already in place. He hired a very good OC and had his replacement already on the payroll when he departed. He may have done the same with the defense. We'll see.
 #10056  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:07 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:42 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:26 pm
Time to put a call in to Fred Garvin. He can take care of this situation.
Live Look-in @ Coach Hendrix today...

Alfred, GET ME FRED GARVIN!
Nevermind Alfred. False Alarm. Tell Fred Garvin to put his cape back in the closet & stand down.
Alfred, Commisioner, er, Coach Hendrix again. Tell Fred Garvin to stay loose.
Jasper liked this
 #10058  by bj93
 Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:32 pm
Reporting on Football Scoop now....
Auburn: Per source, Furman (FCS – SC) corners coach Addison Williams has accepted a position on the Auburn staff.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.