• FURMAN NSD 19

#8219  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm
Great looking class so far but no QB, RB or WR. How many more can we sign in Feb? We don't many collies left do we since it was a small senior class.
/
We may not be taking a full scholarship QB - we took two last year and have 3 freshmen.

We did sign a RB. We didn’t yet sign a tailback, but that’s also not a huge need and we do have targets. Our primary players at that position were a sophomore and freshman.

We have a bunch of WRs and didn’t graduate any (I think).

Again, the class isn’t done
 #8222  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:39 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:29 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:21 pm
Great looking class so far but no QB, RB or WR. How many more can we sign in Feb? We don't many collies left do we since it was a small senior class.
/
We may not be taking a full scholarship QB - we took two last year and have 3 freshmen.

We did sign a RB. We didn’t yet sign a tailback, but that’s also not a huge need and we do have targets. Our primary players at that position were a sophomore and freshman.

We have a bunch of WRs and didn’t graduate any (I think).

Again, the class isn’t done
We had two wide receivers redshirt this season… plus speed demon Dejaun Bell was also in the 2018 class.
Louis Hall was a big pickup last season - had a knee injury missed most of his senior season. I believe he's ready to go, I think his dad might be on here. I follow him on twitter and he's all in on the DINS. The other receiver that redshirt Zach Peterson.

Furman still has an offer out to a TB from Texas.
 #8223  by Flagman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:48 pm
Great work, Astro. To those who missed the program on campus this afternoon, this is a great substitute. Consider yourself there.
dornb liked this
 #8224  by furman88
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:00 pm
Ditto here thanks to Astro for doing the grunt work. Nice job!
 #8228  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 pm
Guys — I get way to much pleasure out of doing this, I'm a nerd.
And, if you knew how much recruiting texting goes on between Paul and I you would call us obsessed.
Paul C, Rokawaylifer, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #8229  by AstroDin
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:38 pm
I'm biased my wife work's for St Joe's but I think Johanning is going to be a great one…
By the way, the big guy to his right is Eric Nash ex Terrier OL coach, he had nothing but great things to say about Furman during the signing ceremony today.
dornb liked this
 #8231  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:12 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:32 pm
Guys — I get way to much pleasure out of doing this, I'm a nerd.
And, if you knew how much recruiting texting goes on between Paul and I you would call us obsessed.
Obsession is fine. Or maybe I say that to justify my injuris Fetish ? LOL at me
 #8233  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:33 pm
In the meantime - and this is just my opinion - don't go onto unsigned (but verbally committed) guys' Twitter pages posting stuff about how they should choose Furman. Leave it to our coaching staff to work their magic. High School student-athletes don't need a bunch of fanboys posting crap about other schools, or how great Furman is, on their Twitter feeds. It's a bad look and could actually backfire. I have no issue with following recruits...just don't be obnoxious. I've already seen some comments on a recruits feed and it just looks stupid.
[/quote]

100% agree with you MNORM
 #8234  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:46 pm
So in summary -

SIGNED IN DECEMBER-

DEFENSE
Jack Barton, DE 6'4 225. Centennial High School. 20 offers / 8 FBS
Devonte Jones. DL/NG 6'2. 307. TL Hanna 9 offers / 4 FBS
Jalen Miller. LB. 5'11 200. Byrnes. 7 offers
Austin Jones. Safety. 5'11. 180. Rabun County HS. 12 offers / 2 FBS

Offense?defense ?
Bryce McCormick. LB /TE. 6'2. 218. Christ Presbyterian, TN. 15 offers / 12 basketball offers as PG

OFFENSE
Jacob Johanning OL. 6'3. 260. Saint Joseph SC.
Evan Jumper. OL. 6'4 240. Myrtle beach HS 19 offers / 12 FBS offers
Pearson Toomey. OL. 6'3 250. Bolles school, FL. 7 offers / 4 FBS
Dominic Roberto. RB. 5'11. 230. Pine Forest NC.

( PWOs, Jackson Soapes is in, position? Luke Bynum at QB... Nick Vivona position? )

* THREE full ride players will enroll early in January at Furman.
- Austin Jones (Safety), Evan Jumper (OL), and Jalen Miller (LB)
---------------------

MISSES - I like to see how these guys do:
-DB Keyvaun Cobb from Asheville signed with Wofford
-Tahir Anoor, safety/ DB?? Brother of Aquil Anoor from us. Went to Wofford I think?
Please help me with info here !
- LB Veneziale de-committed from us. Where did he go?

Questions / guys w offers-
From Paul... "Guy we would love to have and verbally committed,
- Josh Slay, didn't sign yet. (LB)
- Chizic DB from Alabama. (DB)
- Jake Kimmelman (WR or DB)
Guys I was wondering about coming into today....
- OLB Josh Agbenou didn't appear to sign but has picked up offers from Colo St, Western Ky, Kent St, UMass this week
- OLB Micheal Mason Florence SC didn't appear to sign with anyone
- DB Daiveon Carrington didn't appear to sign with anyone
- RB Wayne Anderson, Jr from Texas didn't appear to sign with anyone
Last edited by gofurman on Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:49 am, edited 13 times in total.
 #8242  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:22 pm
A couple of observations.

1. According to 2018's roster, we graduated 16 seniors:
  • QB: Roberts, Vita
  • RB: Dirks, Gibson
  • TB: Luke
  • OL: Bockhorst, Breedlove
  • DL: Okonya, Reid
  • CB: Lemmons, Evangelister, Wright-Linton
  • S: Annoor
  • ILB: Noble
  • OLB: Smith, Washington
2. The updated roster lists Tyler Voyles (who was a senior in 2018), but none of the other 2018 seniors. I presume that means he is redshirting and plans to play in 2019.

3. It would surprise me if all of these seniors were scholarship players. We also took on three transfers as part of the 2018 class. So, there probably are not a boatload of scholarships for this coaching staff to play with.
 #8247  by Flagman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:50 pm
Clay said today that we had 5 seniors on one scholarship.
 #8248  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:56 pm
Flagman wrote:
Flag, This may be dumb but are you saying we have 5 guys sharing one scholarship total.
I.E. if evenly divided they would each get 20% of a Full ride ?
 #8250  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:05 pm
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Flag, This may be dumb but are you saying we have 5 guys sharing one scholarship total.
FCS teams have 63 scholarships to offer and can divide them up however they want to provided no more than 85 players are on scholarship.

Just an observation - you are asking a lot of questions on the breakdown of scholarships. I am pretty sure that information is completely unknowable except to a select few folks.
 #8253  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:19 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:05 pm
gofurman wrote:
Flagman wrote:
FCS teams have 63 scholarships to offer and can divide them up however they want to provided no more than 85 players are on scholarship.

Just an observation - you are asking a lot of questions on the breakdown of scholarships. . I am pretty sure that information is completely unknowable except to a select few folks.
Jackal, Sure.

I only asked because Flag volunteered that he spoke w Clay and Clay said it. Clay apparently said we had "5 guys on one scholarship". It peaked my curiosity so I was making sure I understood.

Part of the reason I asked was because most guys I knew in school had either a full ride, a half or a quarter. To have 5 guys on one scholarship just seemed a little different. Just curious. Maybe it means one guy on no scholarship and 4 with a quarter. Could be 2 halves and three guys w no scholarship I guess
Last edited by gofurman on Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 8:59 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.