FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:49 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:49 pm
we haven't won in Macon in a couple tries
Furman is 1-1 in Macon since Mercer’s Football ‘reboot’

2014...w...25-20
2016...l...24-27
If memory serves, we managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in that loss.

Didn’t we give up a touchdown on like a 4th and long with seconds left in the game? Let’s not do that again.
It was a ~30 yard TD pass from Russ with about 30 seconds left. We got to about the Mercer 35 and Reese threw one into the endzone and it was intercepted...game over.
The FULL story is FU snatched near-victory from the jaws of defeat...

Quarter #4
Furman 17-20 Mercer
4th and 2 at MER36 Reese Hannon pass complete to R. Hayes III for 36 yards - TOUCHDOWN, clock 01:25.
Furman 24-20 Mercer

...and THEN snatched defeat from the jaws of victory

4th and 10 at FUR33 John Russ pass complete to Jordan Marshall for 33 yards - TOUCHDOWN, clock 00:31.
Furman 24-27 Mercer

Furman at 00:09 (or so)
2nd and 2 at MER31 Reese Hannon pass intercepted by Kam Lott - touchback.
Furman 24-27 Mercer - Final Score
 #6308  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am
Surrendering a 30 yard touchdown pass on a 4th and 10 with seconds left in the game is vintage Fowler-era Furman football.
If you knew Jordan “JoJo” Marshall, even as a Furman Fan, as much as that game & finish would have stung you, you couldn’t help yourself from being elated for him. He was a Mercer “Day1” from Hillgrove HS (yep...ANOTHER one of those Hillgrove boys, another HS Teammate of Jaylan Reid ), a 5th year Sr., who, at 5-8 (maybe) had seen his role greatly diminish over the years with the arrivals of WR’s Chandler Curtis, Avery Ward, and Marquis Irvin. But he was always ALL-OUT on every Special Team & when he was asked to block, etc. He only caught 6 passes in 2016 and only 1 TD...THAT 1. He literally (and aptly) cartwheeled into the endzone between 2 or 3 Furman Players. Great kid, who is now, not surprisingly, Coaching HS Football in Macon & is an aspiring Professional Photographer...but he’ll never be able to capture a shot that will mean more to him than capturing that TD did.

Besides all that, his Dad, Tim, is one highly-hilarious & highly-competitive dude, who was FUBeAR’s #1 ‘Running Partner’ (-in-crime) across Campuses & Stadiums throughout the Southeast for 3 or 4 years.

Oops...took some license there because I thought I was in the “Mercer” thread. Sorry.

Mods...please delete if inappropriate...AND if you hate puppies & small children.
 #6311  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:29 am
Last night Nicholls wrapped up the Southland's autobid. This helps out bubble teams like Furman.

Incarnate Word, who is second in the Southland, cancelled this week's game against North Alabama to play a Dec. 1 game against Iowa State. So, prior to the playoff selections, UIW will have only 10 games, one cancelled voluntarily, and be 6-4.

There are three other Southland teams lurking with 6 wins, but would finish third or worst in what is historically a 1 bid league. One of those teams will be knocked off the bubble this weekend (Lamar plays McNeese).
 #6313  by fufanatic
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:51 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:29 am
Incarnate Word, who is second in the Southland, cancelled this week's game against North Alabama to play a Dec. 1 game against Iowa State. So, prior to the playoff selections, UIW will have only 10 games, one cancelled voluntarily, and be 6-4.
I guess I don't understand this. So they voluntarily took themselves out of playoff consideration, or is there some sort of clause in the ISU contract that the game can be cancelled week of if IWU is still in the FCS playoffs? Either way, I can't imagine the committee being interested in giving them a playoff bid for a multitude of reasons, but you would have to think a 6-4 Furman team with a cancelled game due to weather is more appealing than a 6-4 IWU team that cancelled its game voluntarily.
 #6314  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 am
 #6315  by dinsontop
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm
According to the video, they can use the coaches poll to help make decisions on at large bids... can't imagine that helps our case considering we are 6th in the ORV category
 #6316  by MNORM
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:28 pm
dinsontop wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm
According to the video, they can use the coaches poll to help make decisions on at large bids... can't imagine that helps our case considering we are 6th in the ORV category
If I could figure out a way to feed it into my printer, I'd use the coaches poll as toilet paper. Anyone who follows FCS football closely knows how much of a joke it is. By my count, there will be 4 or 5 at-large spots available and roughly 10 (subjectively) eligible teams. Beat Mercer handily and let the chips fall where they may.
 #6318  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:50 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:58 am
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:53 am
Surrendering a 30 yard touchdown pass on a 4th and 10 with seconds left in the game is vintage Fowler-era Furman football.
If you knew Jordan “JoJo” Marshall, even as a Furman Fan, as much as that game & finish would have stung you, you couldn’t help yourself from being elated for him. He was a Mercer “Day1” from Hillgrove HS (yep...ANOTHER one of those Hillgrove boys, another HS Teammate of Jaylan Reid ), a 5th year Sr., who, at 5-8 (maybe) had seen his role greatly diminish over the years with the arrivals of WR’s Chandler Curtis, Avery Ward, and Marquis Irvin. But he was always ALL-OUT on every Special Team & when he was asked to block, etc. He only caught 6 passes in 2016 and only 1 TD...THAT 1. He literally (and aptly) cartwheeled into the endzone between 2 or 3 Furman Players. Great kid, who is now, not surprisingly, Coaching HS Football in Macon & is an aspiring Professional Photographer...but he’ll never be able to capture a shot that will mean more to him than capturing that TD did.

Besides all that, his Dad, Tim, is one highly-hilarious & highly-competitive dude, who was FUBeAR’s #1 ‘Running Partner’ (-in-crime) across Campuses & Stadiums throughout the Southeast for 3 or 4 years.

Oops...took some license there because I thought I was in the “Mercer” thread. Sorry.

Mods...please delete if inappropriate...AND if you hate puppies & small children.
great story - that's why I am SCARED of this game..

we have lost 2 of last 3 and all are very close as the one you referenced above.
 #6319  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:52 pm
"Last night Nicholls wrapped up the Southland's autobid. This helps out bubble teams like Furman.

There are three other Southland teams lurking with 6 wins, but would finish third or worst in what is historically a 1 bid league. One of those teams will be knocked off the bubble this weekend (Lamar plays McNeese)."

- we want Lamar to lose, right? Ill copy from AGS, ASSUMING we beat Mercer these help -
 #6320  by gofurman
 Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:07 pm
Updated list of games to track:

Elon @ Maine 12pm (Do the back-ups at Elon get blown-out again? If so might be on the bubble)

Indiana St. @ WIU 2pm (Winner survives to stay on the bubble)

Montana St. @ Montana 2pm (Winner survives to stay on the bubble)

EIU @ SE Mo St. 2pm (SE Mo St. needs a win to stay on bubble)

NC A&T and FAMU games to decide the MEAC champ, if NC A&T then that opens up a playoff slot, if FAMU then NC A&T takes a playoff slot, both games at 2pm

EKU @ TN Tech 2:30pm (EKU needs a win to stay on bubble)

Furman @ Mercer 3pm (Furman needs a win to stay on bubble)

UCA @ ACU 3pm (ACU needs a win to stay on the bubble)

Lamar @ McNeese 4pm (Winner survives to stay on the bubble)

North Dakota @ Northern Arizona 4:30pm (North Dakota needs a win to stay on the bubble)

Weber St. @ Idaho St. 4:35 (Idaho St. is in with a win and out with a loss)

Mo. St. @ UNI 5pm (UNI needs a win to stay on the bubble)

Incarnate Word is Idle (due to canceling game on their own volition)
***So if Elon and NC A&T hold serve, there will be a max of 11 teams on the bubble for remaining 4 At-Large slots
 #6359  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:26 pm
FYI for peeps with DirecTV the Sammy/ETSU game is on channel 790 at 1PM.
 #6360  by dornb
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:26 pm
FYI for peeps with DirecTV the Sammy/ETSU game is on channel 790 at 1PM.
What network is that? Thanks!