#76600  by AstroDin
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:56 am
^^^ Boy Howdy — the Citadel misses a lot of tackle opportunities! Reid is undoubtedly an excellent back, but the Dog's defense made him look like the next Barry Sanders.

Also, does that first CItadel drive expose the WCU defense to a physical running game with actual edge speed? Furman will be a different kind of animal for WCU to match up with. It's going to be an exciting matchup.
 #76601  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:11 am
AstroDin wrote:
^^^ Boy Howdy — the Citadel misses a lot of tackle opportunities! Reid is undoubtedly an excellent back, but the Dog's defense made him look like the next Barry Sanders.

Also, does that first CItadel drive expose the WCU defense to a physical running game with actual edge speed? Furman will be a different kind of animal for WCU to match up with. It's going to be an exciting matchup.
I think you are right on both points.

Defensively, the Citadel doesn't do much right. There are undersized up front and struggle to tackle. Furman - and I say this with complete sincerity - has running backs bigger than their defensive linemen.

The Bulldog offense likes to go east/west with optiony stuff. I'm not sure that's going to work on Furman's defense. Our linebackers can run and our defensive backs attack the line of scrimmage hard. Both South Carolina and Mercer, who have offenses built on attacking the edge, struggled to get around Furman's defense.

As to Western Carolina, I think that while the Cats have put up video game numbers, they will have a different animal to deal with against Furman. They have generally not been a good defensive football team, and Furman ran up, over, and around them last season (nearly 500 yards of offense with 10 passing attempts).

What Furman does to you offensively is something not many teams are able to do - they can just pound on you for four quarters and have good enough athletes that as soon as you show a little fatigue or are a step slow getting to your assignment - touchdown.
AstroDin liked this
 #76602  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 9:43 am
AstroDin wrote:

WCU - Rushing
Player_______Att._Gain_Loss Net TD Lg. Avg.

Reid,Desmond 27 174 4 170 1 19 6.3 - vs Samford
Reid,Desmond 29 177 0 177 1 33 6.1 - @ EKU
Reid,Desmond 13 112 1 111 2 25 8.5 - vs CSU
Reid,Desmond 18 167 0 167 5 23 9.3 - @ CIT
Reid, Desmond 87_630_5_625_9_33_7.2 - Total vs. Non-SEC Teams

Oklahoma State - Rushing
Player Year Att Yds Avg TD

Sanders, Barry 1986 74 325 4.4 2
Sanders, Barry1987 105 603 5.7 9 4
Sanders, Barry 1988 344 2628 7.6 37
Sanders, Barry Career 523 3556 6.8 48

Welp…if the Nike fits…

He’s really, really, really good…but you aren’t wrong about the bellhops’ ineptitude. And it wasn’t only Reid. The WCU OL - to Jackal’s point - was just MASHING the poor undersized bellhop D-Front.

And…FUBeAR likes your pickup on the Cantamount D. They seemed to be more focused on showing the bellhops how tough they were AFTER the whistle rather than doing their job(s) in contain or in coverage during the plays. CIT’s very young Team did look a bit intimidated. Unlike a game we played @ Elon quite a few years ago, FUBeAR doesn’t think the grown men on FU’s Team will be at all intimidated by these lavender-clad young bucks’ post-play antics. FUBeAR expects the Paladin Men will find them humorous…kinda cute, really.
 #76603  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:40 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:36 pm
citadel is a volleyball school.
Wow…you are correct. Also, apparently, Woffy is as well.

MASSEY WOMEN’S INDOOR VOLLEYBALL
Team Record Rating

Citadel 16-0 7.10
Wofford 13-2 7.03

Chattanooga 14-5 6.53
Furman 12-3 6.48
Samford 6-10 6.28
Mercer 6-9 6.21
W Carolina 4-11 6.15
ETSU 1-14 5.89
UNC Greensboro 1-14 5.36

Seems we should discuss Volleyball since this is the only thing the bellhops are discussing on their Message Bored, um, sorry, Board.

Since both CIT& WOFF have Football Teams that are 0-5, can we assume causality, i.e., getting good in Women’s Indoor Volleyball makes a school’s Football Team weak? What factors could be creating this linkage?

Also…it would seem that, optimally, to support a strong Football Team, a school would want their Women’s Indoor Volleyball Massey Rating to range between 6.0 and 6.5. Going over 7.0 seems to be nearly the equivalent of the Football Death Penalty! Does this bode poorly for Chattaquitta (6.53) in their critical matchup with the Cantamounts (6.15) this Saturday?

At 12-3 with a 6.48 rating, though, are we entering the “at-risk zone?” Do we want the Furman Indoor Women’s Volleyball Team to lose to Chatt on Friday and Mercer on Saturday to ‘protect’ the Football Team?

Trivia Question: When did “Rally Serve Scoring” become the standard practice in NCAA Indoor Women’s Volleyball?

Hint…Since the year that rule was implemented, Furman Football has never returned to such lofty heights. Coincidence? Hmmm?
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #76617  by MidlandsPaladin
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:48 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:40 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 1:36 pm
citadel is a volleyball school.
Wow…you are correct. Also, apparently, Woffy is as well.

MASSEY WOMEN’S INDOOR VOLLEYBALL
Team Record Rating

Citadel 16-0 7.10
Wofford 13-2 7.03

Chattanooga 14-5 6.53
Furman 12-3 6.48
Samford 6-10 6.28
Mercer 6-9 6.21
W Carolina 4-11 6.15
ETSU 1-14 5.89
UNC Greensboro 1-14 5.36

Seems we should discuss Volleyball since this is the only thing the bellhops are discussing on their Message Bored, um, sorry, Board.

Since both CIT& WOFF have Football Teams that are 0-5, can we assume causality, i.e., getting good in Women’s Indoor Volleyball makes a school’s Football Team weak? What factors could be creating this linkage?

Also…it would seem that, optimally, to support a strong Football Team, a school would want their Women’s Indoor Volleyball Massey Rating to range between 6.0 and 6.5. Going over 7.0 seems to be nearly the equivalent of the Football Death Penalty! Does this bode poorly for Chattaquitta (6.53) in their critical matchup with the Cantamounts (6.15) this Saturday?

At 12-3 with a 6.48 rating, though, are we entering the “at-risk zone?” Do we want the Furman Indoor Women’s Volleyball Team to lose to Chatt on Friday and Mercer on Saturday to ‘protect’ the Football Team?

Trivia Question: When did “Rally Serve Scoring” become the standard practice in NCAA Indoor Women’s Volleyball?

Hint…Since the year that rule was implemented, Furman Football has never returned to such lofty heights. Coincidence? Hmmm?
Hilarious. Still no Furman thread on the bellhop messageboard, and the most active thread in their Football forum over the past week is titled "The Citadel Volleyball 2023". Their volleyball team plays Woffy Saturday night in Charleston, so if they don't have any fans in Paladin Stadium that may explain why.
FUBeAR liked this
 #76618  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:23 pm
So everyone is convinced that this is going to be a complete blowout. As Lee Corso would say “Not so fast!”. This is a Furman/Citadel big rivalry football game. Strange things happen. As CCH said on his show: a couple of years ago FU scored 58 points in about 3 quarters at Samford then came home the next week and couldn’t move the ball against Citadel. 5-25 passing. Hope the team is ready beacuse Citadel will try anything and evetything come Saturday. I expect a tough game, afterall it is FU/Citadel.
FurmanATT, gman84, furpal81 liked this
 #76620  by gman84
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:14 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:23 pm
So everyone is convinced that this is going to be a complete blowout. As Lee Corso would say “Not so fast!”. This is a Furman/Citadel big rivalry football game. Strange things happen. As CCH said on his show: a couple of years ago FU scored 58 points in about 3 quarters at Samford then came home the next week and couldn’t move the ball against Citadel. 5-25 passing. Hope the team is ready beacuse Citadel will try anything and evetything come Saturday. I expect a tough game, afterall it is FU/Citadel.
Will I be surprised if we blow them out? No. Will I be surprised if it is a nail biter? No. Our team is experienced enough to handle any situation. When you have a top 10, top 5 ranking everyone will give you their best shot.
 #76621  by wcugrad95
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:45 pm
As witnessed last week, expect Citadel to keep doing the unexpected. I think given how their season has gone, they are now going to pull out even more things to try. They ran the wishbone/full-on TO last week some in honor of Stanley Myers passing away (with some success), they did a cross-field throwback on a KO return, and they tried multiple reverses, flea-flickers, etc. With that on tape I don't expect them to trick Furman or catch you napping, but when you are 0-5 there is no reason not to try crazy things.
 #76623  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:08 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
As witnessed last week, expect Citadel to keep doing the unexpected. I think given how their season has gone, they are now going to pull out even more things to try. They ran the wishbone/full-on TO last week some in honor of Stanley Myers passing away (with some success), they did a cross-field throwback on a KO return, and they tried multiple reverses, flea-flickers, etc. With that on tape I don't expect them to trick Furman or catch you napping, but when you are 0-5 there is no reason not to try crazy things.
The cross-field throwback was excellent Coaching by someone on the bellhops Staff. Nothing crazy about it.

Did you see the Cantamounts Kickoff alignment?
All 11 were on the left side of the field…like because they were all there, they thought CIT couldn’t use the other side of the field if they kicked it straight.
“Blind side block” … he barely touches him and there is nothing “blind side” about it…actually tried to avoid touching him so he wouldn’t get called for block in the back…was really more of a fairly ineffective moving screen…as in basketball…horrible call
The playcall was a GREAT ‘get’ off of film or the 1st Kickoff…and was perfectly executed. Only a SoCon Official making this terrible call kept the bellhops from tying the game up by crossing the Cantamounts goal line for the 2nd time in the 1st 13 minutes of play…a feat that had taken them 238 minutes to accomplish up to that point of their season.

The 3rd TD this bellhop Offensive juggernaut scored on WCU’s ‘much improved’ Defense came less than 2 minutes after their 2nd TD was wrongfully taken away. This score came on a 28 yard run where the ballcarrier went up the middle untouched to the end zone, but was called back for an illegal formation. The bellhops did have 5 Players in the backfield, so the call was correct (this time), but the ‘extra back’ really had no impact on the Cantamounts allowing the bellhop ball carrier to run up the middle untouched and cross their goal line for the 3rd time in less than a quarter…one more time than they had crossed a goal line in all 16 of their prior quarters combined!

So...3/2 = 1.5 ... 1.5 x 16 = 24 ... So... Did the bellhops Offense get 24x better between in the week before the WCU game? Or...is WCU's Defense 24x worse than the average of Campbell's, GASOU's, Chatt's and SCST's Defenses?
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:44 am, edited 11 times in total.
 #76624  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:48 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:

I would absolutely expect everything and anything from them. Double passes, reverses, flea flickers, etc. should all be expected and prepared for. They're going to use anything to generate some spark.

I would also be ready with for some traditional option attack. The Citadel still has option personnel on roster. Maurice Drayton served on Mike Houston's staff.
 #76625  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:00 pm
Welp…at least these 3 bellhop alums and/or ChuckTown pundits do talk about The Citadel @ Furman Football … a little bit.

You’ll find yourself FastFastFast Forwarding thru most of this bellhop drivel, but there’s some Football talk in there.

For you bellhopesses indoor volleyball fans, that talk starts at 26:32.

#76626  by Bootie
 Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:02 pm
This is the time in a season and an opponent that I worry about Furman taking too much pride and over-confidence in our ranking, maybe some sloppy mistakes and turnovers, Citadel pulling out all their stops, staying in the game well-into the 4th and Furman being lucky to get out with a W and possibly going back to the dorm with an infected dog-bite.