#74198  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:02 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:45 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:28 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:40 pm
My favorite thing about the Southern Conference is that every team plays each other in the regular season and that the champion is the simply the team with the best record. I love making the regular season count for more.

As much as I enjoy the FBS conference championship games for entertainment, I've always felt like making a 12-0 team in one division play the 8-4 team that won the other division a little tedious. Fortunately, since conferences are moving away from divisions, it seems like they'll probably just match up the teams with the two best records in the championship game.

Still, the Southern Conference has the system figured out. Wow. Didn't think I'd ever be saying that with any degree of authenticity, but here we are.
The only thing that concerns me is that this same line of thinking was advocated by the Big 12, and it almost destroyed the conference.
What schools would you, or others, suggest that SoCon should have attempted to add or should in the future?
Name them one at a time, in order of preference.
My first 3 would be:
1.NCA&TSU
2.Elon
3.Campbell
I like the 3 Virginia CAA schools, but they would seem to be tied together as a package of 3, and the Otho is 3 would not come unless the 3 NC schools would have agreed to come.
I imagine the SoCon would be an attractive option for many of the schools in the greater south. I don't really see opportunities for the SoCon south and west. I think that the most likely direction would be into Tennessee, North Carolina, and Virginia.

At the same time, I think that if the SoCon were serious about targeting these schools, they probably would have already done it.
 #74200  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:04 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:44 am
If Elon and Campbell are the only options I’d just stay where we are. Playing everyone in the conference in football and home and home in basketball is a big plus IMHO.

I doubt Elon would crawl back to the SoCon after seeking greener pastures.

Campbell isn't maybe as big of a name, but their baseball team might immediately become the SoCon's biggest-name brand in terms of national relevance.
 #74205  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:17 am
No members posting after affirm's 7:45 AM August 15 post have nominated specific teams, other than perhaps one for Campbell particularly in regards to Campbell Baseball. There was additionally a comment about Elon "not crawling back after leaving for greener pastures". Affirm is inclined to gracefully forgive Elon if Elon were to convincingly indicate sincere interest in a permanent return.
It is interesting that no one so far has mentioned anything about NCA&T. It is my understanding that NCA&T wanted to join the SoCon but the SoCon was not interested, so NCA&T subsequently joined the CAA. I still think that NCA&T would be my top nominee for a team that the SoCon ought to go after.
 #74206  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:23 am
"1.NCA&TSU 2.Elon 3.Campbell"

None of those 3 schools do anything to help the SoCon become a multi-bid basketball league, so with respect I must say hell noooooo ;)
 #74207  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:28 am
SoCon could seek to add Winthrop.
... College of Charleston.
... UNC-Wilmington.
What would be not good about any of those 3?
 #74208  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:32 am
FU Hoopla wrote:

None of those 3 schools do anything to help the SoCon become a multi-bid basketball league, so with respect I must say hell noooooo ;)
Why do you not name any schools that would help the SoCon become a multi-bid basketball league?
You could name Davidson.
... CofC.
... UNC-W.
... Winthrop.
Why do YOU not name (as I requested in my earlier post) ANY schools, including any that would satisfy YOUR own stated criterion of being able to help the SoCon become a multi-bid basketball league?
I can assume only that you cannot think of any that would be at all realistic for the SoCon to get, and that you believe SoCon expansion is impossible in any way that would be beneficial to Furman OR to the SoCon.
I still want to know specifically what team(s) would YOU name as realistic and beneficial possibilities?
 #74210  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:44 pm
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Why do you not name any schools that would help the SoCon become a multi-bid basketball league?
You could name Davidson.
... CofC.
... UNC-W.
... Winthrop.
Why do YOU not name (as I requested in my earlier post) ANY schools, including any that would satisfy YOUR own stated criterion of being able to help the SoCon become a multi-bid basketball league?
I can assume only that you cannot think of any that would be at all realistic for the SoCon to get, and that you believe SoCon expansion is impossible in any way that would be beneficial to Furman OR to the SoCon.
I still want to know specifically what team(s) would YOU name as realistic and beneficial possibilities?

I already have in the Basketball threads section, countless times ;)
 #74236  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:09 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

You could name Davidson.
... CofC.
... UNC-W.
... Winthrop.

It is true that you have posted countless times. Please repeat what you said in answer to my present question. What schools?
 #74238  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:12 pm
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

You could name Davidson.
... CofC.
... UNC-W.
... Winthrop.

It is true that you have posted countless times. Please repeat what you said in answer to my present question. What schools?
How about this, I will attack this 'big time' with you and anyone in April 2024 :D ;)
 #74243  by 'Din Djarin
 Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:34 pm
The SoCon currently consists of teams in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama - all contiguous states. If they were to expand (and I don't see the need at the moment, at least in football) I hope they will expand by adding teams either from one of these 5 states or from an adjoining state.
Davemeister liked this
 #74246  by FUBeAR
 Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:56 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
The SoCon currently consists of teams in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, and Alabama - all contiguous states. If they were to expand (and I don't see the need at the moment, at least in football) I hope they will expand by adding teams either from one of these 5 states or from an adjoining state.
*Virginia (VMI)

Adjoining are FL, MS, AR, MO, KY, WV, MD, and DC
 #74262  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:55 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Aug 16, 2023 3:56 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
*Virginia (VMI)

Adjoining are FL, MS, AR, MO, KY, WV, MD, and DC
FL: I already mentioned Stetson, which was vehemently shot down by at least one other member of this board. But anyway: Stetson, Bethune-Cookman, Jacksonville, Florida A&M, FGCU, UNF.
VA: I already mentioned I would be interested in Richmond, W&M, and Hampton, but I do not see those as realistically available. Radford and Longwood and Norfolk State and George Mason would be possibilities in the broadest sense of the word..
DC: George Washington and Howard and American University would be possibilities in the broadest sense of the word.
NC: I already mentioned Elon, Campbell, NCA&T, UNC-W, and Davidson. We could add Gardner-Webb, Queens, and NCCU to the list.
SC: I already mentioned Winthrop. We could add Charleston Southern, CofC, SCSU, Winthrop, and USC Upstate to the list.
GA: NA
TN: Tennessee State, Belmont, Lipscomb, UT-Martin, TTU.
AL: North Alabama, Alabama A&M, Alabama State.
KY: Bellarmine, EKU, Morehead State, Murray State.
MO: (seriously?) Lindenwood, Saint Louis University, UMKC, SEMU
MD: (seriously?) Navy, Coppin State, Loyola (Maryland), Morgan State, Mount St. Mary's, Towson, UMBC, UMES.
MS: (seriously?) Alcorn State, Jackson State.
NOTE: I left out all the schools that play or are transitioning to play football in FBS, with the exception of Navy. I kept Navy on the list because they play most of their other sports, besides football, in a mid-major conference. Also, I left out Georgetown because they are in the Big East.
 #74264  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:58 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

You could name Davidson.
... CofC.
... UNC-W.
... Winthrop.

How about this, I will attack this 'big time' with you and anyone in April 2024 :D ;)
I wonder if you expect to not even be here in April 2024 but instead expect to have moved on to some "big time" school that has much deeper pockets, at which time you will have no time or no interest to "attack this 'big time'".
 #74265  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:12 pm
affirm wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:58 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:
affirm wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

You could name Davidson.
... CofC.
... UNC-W.
... Winthrop.

I wonder if you expect to not even be here in April 2024 but instead expect to have moved on to some "big time" school that has much deeper pockets, at which time you will have no time or no interest to "attack this 'big time'".

WTF are you talking about :lol:

I've been on this message board for nearly 25 years ;)