#63478  by gman84
 Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:21 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:44 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:41 am
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:24 am
Wolfpacker… thanks for starting this thread.

This class on paper is really interesting. There are some highly recruited players. Some players appear under the radar. This is an uneducated address—I think Furman's past several years recruiting classes' success has allowed Furman to take a few players that appear under the radar. Digging deeper, you can see on film why Furman has offered.

One player not to sleep on… just made first-team Washington Post All-Met at WR.

GoFu, should be happy with this player, he's a 4:45 guy:

Astro knows me :D

And he is right.

SPEED baby, SPEED. lanky FAST Receivers - honestly UIW should be playing in the National Title game with those WRs and Cooper making people miss tackles at RB ...

SPEED KILLS. As shown by Western in our 4th quarter etc - it is what makes them a scary team even when we have more talent than them overall.

Let's get another duo out there like Ike West and Brian Bratton. J Harris is a good one !

Odd that you'd push for lanky receivers and reference Bratton and West, neither of whom were tall.

Western Carolina had some speed at receiver, and they were watching the FCS playoffs from their couch.

Neither of the two teams playing for the national title are spread out, speedy offenses. NDSU and SDSU are among the worst passing offenses in the country.

What do they do well? Run the ball, play defense.
Agree, to do that you must have dominant O and D lines. They also rarely have self inflicted wounds.
 #63479  by Afurmanfan
 Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:50 am
Has to be one of the tallest classes we have signed in a while. Look forward to seeing what these young men will look like with a year or two of Coach Bernardi. Is a good looking class.
As i have mentioned earlier, CBJ said Clay was his best recruiter when CBJ was the head coach.
We are in good hands.
 #63495  by The Jackal
 Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:22 pm
A casual observation on DL.

Furman benefitted from two 300 lbs space eaters inside much of the season. However, they didn't necessarily arrive at Furman that way.

Coleman arrived at Furman listed at 285 and played last season at 304. Even as a high school commit he looked like a nose guard.

Sochovka arrived at 260 and played this fall at 296. He obviously has a long 6'4 frame that he could add weight too without sacrificing mobility.

Our strength and conditioning team has done an excellent job with our defensive front. We have a group that is big, physical, fast, and deep up front.

With Sochovka potentially coming back, it seems the really only spot we may need another body is in the NG rotation. If we target a player in the transfer portal, that's the position I would go after.

With Clark/Maier, Stephens, Sochovka, Barton, Stansfield, and Jackson, we're going to have a solid foundation up front. Dudek and Harrison played a bit in mop up duty as freshmen, but both look like they might not be far from contributing as well.
 #63496  by FUwolfpacker
 Thu Dec 22, 2022 12:57 pm
That's where I am as well. Certainly wouldn't hurt to land Weaver or some other NG with experience.

If Jackson was supposed to start over Barton this year, then I really can't wait to see what he can do over a full season.
 #63550  by AstroDin
 Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:06 am
This hasn't been mentioned…

Another position that gains a player next season is SPUR.
Achina should be back from his torn pec (Clemson game).
Achina started the first two games.
Miller coming back for the fifth year is big.

Achina 6-1 207
Miller 5-11 211
Richards 6-1 202
Babin 6-1 207
 #63554  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 24, 2022 11:51 am
AstroDin wrote:
Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:06 am
This hasn't been mentioned…

Another position that gains a player next season is SPUR.
Achina should be back from his torn pec (Clemson game).
Achina started the first two games.
Miller coming back for the fifth year is big.

Achina 6-1 207
Miller 5-11 211
Richards 6-1 202
Babin 6-1 207

After Achina's injury, Chizik played a lot of spur. So, he's out there as well.
 #63591  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:27 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

This class on paper is really interesting. There are some highly recruited players. Some players appear under the radar. This is an uneducated address—I think Furman's past several years recruiting classes' success has allowed Furman to take a few players that appear under the radar. Digging deeper, you can see on film why Furman has offered.

And he is right.

SPEED baby, SPEED. lanky FAST Receivers - honestly UIW should be playing in the National Title game with those WRs and Cooper making people miss tackles at RB ...

SPEED KILLS. As shown by Western in our 4th quarter etc - it is what makes them a scary team even when we have more talent than them overall.

Let's get another duo out there like Ike West and Brian Bratton. J Harris is a good one !

Odd that you'd push for lanky receivers and reference Bratton and West, neither of whom were tall.

Western Carolina had some speed at receiver, and they were watching the FCS playoffs from their couch.

Neither of the two teams playing for the national title are spread out, speedy offenses. NDSU and SDSU are among the worst passing offenses in the country.

Yes, but NDSU is not as good as UIW. Most of their fans admit such on AGS etc. They were dominated and lucky to win over UIW.

I agree that NDSU is great. USUALLY - not quite so much this year. Well, they are still great though I expect they will lose the title game.

And I yes, I would prefer lanky AND fast receivers but mostly that they are FAST. Arguably our worst three quarters of defense? The 4th quarter of Western Carolina and the first half vs UIW - coincidence? I think not. FREAKY FAST Receivers. That's the common thread.

Sure, Western was sitting at home during the FCS playoffs - but not because of their WRs.. you are being selective. They can't run.. or stop the run ... or do much of anything else ..

I am simply saying what we could add to our team would be speed at WR. Objectively, that 2004 team was our best in 25 years. Maybe ever ! Ingle, Felton, Bratton, West, a great OL etc etc

And I agree that you can win with RUN RUN RUN the ball and defense. I would love nothing more than to replicate AFA (bowl game that Air Force dominated in) and throw the ball only 7 or 8 times ... that would be awesome. So many times I have said I am not here to be 'entertained' but rather to watch us win.. and win in a dominant fashion !

But we are NOT GOOD ENOUGH AT THAT. Did you watch us play UIW? I am sure you did. Then did you watch Sac State play offense vs UIW the next week? WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE. SAC STATE - now they could run the ball. we , well, we could run the ball but not at that level. Sac State torched UIW with Scatteboo right and Scateboo left run run screen screen... On the other hand, what a great second half of defense we played vs UIW.

I recall feeling if we had Sac State offense or ... Sac Sate had our defense that would have been the perfect team to beat UIW. Sac State (nor UIW) could play defense vs each other... which made me feel even worse about our offense. Our OL and running game (etc etc) just couldn't move vs UIW. Now Our D (vs Elon and UIW) was great for all 4 quarters v Elon and the second half v UIW.

Our O was pretty strong v Elon (though we only had 14 pts after 3 qtrs I think? But our O left us out to dry v UIW. In reality our O had 3 points in the first half v UIW.

And, let me apologize. Perhaps I should have said I hope we can get " WRs who can SEPARATE - speed is the main thing" Bratton and West were a dynamic duo who could separate with speed. We haven't had as good a WR duo since. Once we hit the elite teams I just don't see our WRs getting the separation that some other teams do. To your point about Western Carolina, I would CERTAINLY rather have our team than theirs... But if we could have one or two of their WRs on our team we might still be playing in the playoffs. That's all I meant.
 #63592  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:53 pm
Jackal, also, if I may.. your own post 63121 in 2023 recruiting Diamond Chasers thread// says this:
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:29 pm
A few thoughts on receivers/TEs:

1. For much of the last 20 years, Furman really hasn't had an intimidating receiver corps. We've had a few slot guys that put up a lot of catches, but the unit as a whole has never really been one that makes headline news.
----------------------------------------------

Fairly similar stuff really. Not argumentative at all. We are both saying we could use more of an 'intimidating' recvr corps.

That's all.
 #63609  by gofurman
 Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:47 am
gman84 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

And he is right.

Agree, to do that you must have dominant O and D lines. They also rarely have self inflicted wounds.
GMan. Agree. I have rarely seen us - to our credit - have so many pre snap penalties as I did vs UIW. FUnny thing is we had a very experienced OL and not a ton of crowd noise. Dang it
 #63610  by Afurmanfan
 Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:17 am
Their right defensive end (over Tomlin) was originally at Kansas and was one of the top 20 DE’s in the country coming out of high school. Very quick- sure Tomlin felt he had to come off the ball lightening quick. That can happen when you feel that kind of pressure.
He had his hands full that day but has been a great one for us.
 #63611  by The Jackal
 Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:38 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 8:17 am
Their right defensive end (over Tomlin) was originally at Kansas and was one of the top 20 DE’s in the country coming out of high school. Very quick- sure Tomlin felt he had to come off the ball lightening quick. That can happen when you feel that kind of pressure.
He had his hands full that day but has been a great one for us.
Context matters.
Jasper liked this
 #63627  by gman84
 Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:38 am
gofurman wrote:
gman84 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

And he is right.

GMan. Agree. I have rarely seen us - to our credit - have so many pre snap penalties as I did vs UIW. FUnny thing is we had a very experienced OL and not a ton of crowd noise. Dang it
Let me be clear. I was not referencing any pre-snap penalties by any Furman players. I was simply noting how clean teams like NDSU and SDSU play.
FUBeAR liked this
 #63686  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 30, 2022 12:30 am
gman84 wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:38 am
gofurman wrote:
gman84 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

And he is right.

Let me be clear. I was not referencing any pre-snap penalties by any Furman players. I was simply noting how clean teams like NDSU and SDSU play.
Sure, and it was also fair of me to note how many pre snap penalties we had v UIW. That was, well, NOT GOOD. We had a VERY experienced OL.. Not much crowd noise. We pride ourselves on low penalties - it was not typical FU Football. "Drive Killers"
apaladin liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by cavedweller2

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:42 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.