Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:28 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:23 am
AstroDin wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:20 am
I'm going to try to tread lightly here…

Dom Morris came out of the gate strong, had some interceptions, and replaced Blackshear while he was out due to an injury. Based on his play and a few comments related to making the interception vs knocking the ball down. I felt Dom wanted to make the big play, maybe over the best play in the situation.

Durning Furman's win streak, we played Chizik much more and Caleb Williams. Note; Williams quietly shifted to SS.

Furman currently has 2 DBs committed and has an offer out to the Dartmouth transfer. Blackshear's spot is going to be an open competition.

I am pretty sure Blackshear still has eligibility. He redshirted in '18, played full seasons in '19, '21, and '22. So, seems like he still has another year he can play.

I'm talking out of school here, but I thought it at least a little peculiar that Morris announced he was entering the portal and then committed to a fairly random low-level FBS school out west quickly. I noticed that the defensive back coaches for CSU have ties to Texas schools during what would have been Morris' recruitment, so maybe they already knew him.

I suppose it's a positive for Furman's team when our 3rd or 4th CB is transferring to an FBS school.
This is scary … FUBeAR completely concurs with Jackal’s post here and also noted/thought similarly about that TX connection with CSU’s CB Coach.

To add a little more color to the move…

1) Morris originally committed to Army. He then signed with Air Force and did a semester at AF Prep, before coming to FU. So, he does have CO living experience under his belt.

2) SacState & FU both lost to UIW by 3. If we allow for the home/away ‘swing’ based on the venues of those games, that means FU is about 6 points better than the #2 Seeded Big Sky Champion, SacState. So, since SacState beat CSU by 31, Morris is transferring to a program that is 37…almost 40…points worse than Furman. Kinda like making a move to a Team that is just about North Greenville level, it seems.
In CSU’s second-most recent bowl game (the 2016 Famous Idaho Potato Bowl), with a game time (5:05 PM MST) temperature of 20 °F (−7 °C), the Rams lost 61-50 to Idaho, who proceeded to move to FCS. Also, the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl proceeded to go out of business.
With that bowl game loss, Colorado State finished the season with a record of 7–6. The Rams' record in bowl games fell to 6–10. The next season, Colorado State repeated with a 7–5 regular season and earned a berth in the 2017 New Mexico Bowl, which they lost, making their record in bowl games 6-11. CSU has not had a bowl game since 2017, even though it appears to be relatively easy to get a bowl game these days. 14-38 is the combined record of CSU football for 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.
On December 6, 2021, Colorado State hired Jay Norvell from Nevada to be their 24th head coach. 36-35 is Jay Norvell's current record as a head coach, following 3-9 this year. Norvell was 33-26 at Nevada. (Nevada finished the 2021 season with a 52-24 loss in the Quick Lane bowl and an 8-5 record. It is here acknowledged that before the December 27 2021 bowl game, Norvell and several of his assistants had already left Nevada to go to Colorado State, so the 52-24 was under an interim head coach and remaining assistant coaches.)
 #62735  by Flagman
 Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:25 am
They must have a degree he really wants.
FUBeAR liked this
 #62858  by fupaladin01
 Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:32 pm
Flagman wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:25 am
They must have a degree he really wants.
Colorado has, on average, about 10 degrees less than Greenville ;)
 #63876  by youwouldno
 Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:01 pm
Across the NCAA, younger players are seeing their opportunities diminished because of the Covid eligibility rules. Too many experienced players hanging around for the younger athletes to get the PT they otherwise would be getting.

Transferring generally won't solve the problem, because it's across the board. But I don't blame players for looking at whether there could be an opportunity. For guys like Morris and Thomas, the transfer demand was reduced in the exact same way their Furman PT was impacted by the extended eligibility.

Side note - in my opinion, the risk of transfers out will rise for smaller schools as the Covid eligibility runs down, because the availability of experienced college players will decrease. So in 3 years, a guy like Thomas is probably gone if he's in the portal.

Side note #2 - Thomas plays as hard as anyone on the roster. I'm glad he's coming back and I'm sure the Furman coaches empathize with his situation.
gman84, apaladin, AstroDin and 1 others liked this
 #64010  by gofurman
 Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:08 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 11:30 am
Kendall Thomas announces his withdraw from portal and return to Furman.

Great news ! He seems to have an extra gear
 #64027  by apaladin
 Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:13 am
Here is a complete list not returning:
CAMERN COLEMAN NG
DOMINIC MORRIS CB
DAE’ONE WILKINS CB
NOAH HENDERSON WR
AUSTIN JONES FS
DEVIN ABRAMS RB
EVAN JUMPER C
GARLAND GREENWAY OT
ANDERSON TOMLIN OT
RYAN MILLER TE
SAM WHITNEY WR
LUKE BYNUM WR
SETH JOHNSON NG
SEBASTIAN STUBBLEFIELD PK/P
JALEN CLARK DE
 #64029  by AstroDin
 Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:06 am
Let's organize:

2022 Full-Time Starters 4
CAMERON COLEMAN NG
EVAN JUMPER C
ANDERSON TOMLIN OT
RYAN MILLER TE

Started at least one game 2
DOMINIC MORRIS CB
DAE’ONE WILKINS CB

Split time as holder 1
LUKE BYNUM WR

Previous season starter 1
DEVIN ABRAMS RB

Back up but had a lot of PT 1
SETH JOHNSON NG

Injured for most of 2023 or DNP 2
NOAH HENDERSON WR
AUSTIN JONES FS

Mop up PT or DNP 4
GARLAND GREENWAY OT
SAM WHITNEY WR
SEBASTIAN STUBBLEFIELD PK/P
JALEN CLARK DE
apaladin, Davemeister, MNORM liked this
 #64044  by AstroDin
 Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:23 am
Do we have any NG with PT experience?
Nope. But Furman did play X Stephens at NG a good bit.
I trust DL coach K Lewis to make this work.

THE DEFENSIVE LINE EXPERIENCED RETURNEES
SOCHOVOKA, STANFIELD, and T Rodgers @ DT
STEPHENS @ DT/NG
BARTON and JACKSON @ DE

REDSHIRT AND INCOMING
M HARRISON NG
M VINCENT DT
______________.
______________.
______________.
 #64050  by The Jackal
 Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:22 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:23 am
Do we have any NG with PT experience?

Without getting too nitty gritty into the different techniques and gap assignments relegated to the "nose guard," the answer is "yes."

Here's Xavier Stephens at NG against Wofford.

#64079  by The Jackal
 Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:34 am
I had not really had occasion to look at this, but while Stephens is listed as a DT, he looks like he rotated in at NG for much of the season. He was frequently the NG on passing situations and paired alongside Stanfield.

We’ll still need to find some more bodies at that position, but Stephens certainly looks like he played in there a good bit.

Recent Topics

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.