• Wofford

#60214  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:44 am
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:30 am
He won't pass for many yards Saturday if spends most of his afternoon on the turf with 2-3 Paladins on top.
With Wofford's difficulty running the ball, they are going to have to get Weirick on the move.

Furman banged around Fred Payton like a pin ball all afternoon - 5 sacks and hit him nearly every time he tried to throw. I don't see the Terriers just trying to drop back and throw it against the Furman pass rush. They're going to have to move the launch point.

I suppose it is also worth noting that Weirick is listed at 5'11. All but two players on defensive line two deep are listed 6'3 or 6'4. Our front has been really good at batting down passes this year and I expect that will be a factor against a shorter QB.
Purple rain, AstroDin liked this
 #60218  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:37 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:30 am
He won't pass for many yards Saturday if spends most of his afternoon on the turf with 2-3 Paladins on top.
 #60238  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:52 pm
Right now, it looks like perfect weather for football Saturday. Sunny and 54! Always subject to change.
Purple rain liked this
 #60277  by Purple rain
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:54 am
I love the "culture" in our football program, all aspects of it. I think this goes a long way in playing games where you are "supposed" to win. We have some unbelievable kids at Furman University. Go Dins!
FUBeAR, apaladin, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #60283  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:32 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:52 pm
Right now, it looks like perfect weather for football Saturday. Sunny and 54! Always subject to change.
Good game for Noon kickoff
Purple rain liked this
 #60338  by Yadkin
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:33 am
Interesting to see Haley picked Mercer to beat Samford. Hope he's correct on that. My feeling is Mercer has been overrated all year. Bought out their scheduled Yale game and replaced it with non-scholarship Morehead State (made big hay of that joke of a win). Hasn't beaten a ranked team yet (Saturday will be a good time to get that first win). Lost to a bad SEC team that fired its head coach. Lost by three touchdowns to Chattanooga. Lost to us by double digits on their home field. Blew out Wofford when they were probably at the low point. Best win for the cubs all year was probably WCU. Ranked ahead of us all year until this week. Somebody want to make the case that being ranked in the preseason doesn't matter?
AllTimeFU liked this
 #60343  by The Jackal
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:19 am
Yadkin wrote:
Interesting to see Haley picked Mercer to beat Samford. Hope he's correct on that. My feeling is Mercer has been overrated all year. Bought out their scheduled Yale game and replaced it with non-scholarship Morehead State (made big hay of that joke of a win). Hasn't beaten a ranked team yet (Saturday will be a good time to get that first win). Lost to a bad SEC team that fired its head coach. Lost by three touchdowns to Chattanooga. Lost to us by double digits on their home field. Blew out Wofford when they were probably at the low point. Best win for the cubs all year was probably WCU. Ranked ahead of us all year until this week. Somebody want to make the case that being ranked in the preseason doesn't matter?

I think the knock on Mercer at this point is they struggle to win big games against good teams.

Mercer's schedule was backloaded. They were always going to come out of the gate hot and we were not really going to know what sort of team they had until the last few weeks of the season.
 #60357  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:34 am
Yadkin wrote:
FUBeAR will defer, but there are alternative versions of this spin.
 #60374  by Roundball
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:41 pm
Just asking, wouldn’t we want Samford to win? They have already locked up the SoCon top seed and they beat us. They will be seeded higher than us whether they win or lose. It seems to me that a Samford win would keep them highly ranked, giving the SoCon even more credibility. After we beat Wofford, we will be a top 8 seed too. Might as well have two top 8 seeds in the playoffs.
 #60375  by AllTimeFU
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:47 pm
The question is, what gives Furman the best chance to be a top eight seed. Does a win for Samford or a loss for Samford this weekend impact our ability to be a top eight seed?
 #60376  by MidlandsPaladin
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:50 pm
Even though they have locked up the top seed, a share of the SoCon title would be nice. We already have more conference championships than any other school, and another set of numbers on the field house would be something to brag about and build on.
dornb, apaladin liked this
 #60379  by Purple rain
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:17 pm
I think Mercer will beat Samford, I also thought Chattanooga would as well. No one has shut them down like we did Saturday. They had a ton of yards against the Mocs....too many turnovers.
 #60380  by FUBeAR
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:20 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 12:50 pm
Even though they have locked up the top seed, a share of the SoCon title would be nice. We already have more conference championships than any other school, and another set of numbers on the field house would be something to brag about and build on.
Absolutely - a ‘share’ of a SoCon Championship is a SoCon Championship. 1 of FUBeAR’s 5 SoCon Championship rings is from a ‘shared’ title, but there’s nothing about sharing it on the ring or on those numbers on the Field House. These Players want that SoCon Championship ring just as much as (perhaps more than) they want to make the Playoffs.

Despite FUBeAR politicking otherwise on every social media platform available on the inter webs…If Furman blows out Wofford and Samford defeats Mercer, the odds of FU getting a Seed are still very, very small. Would need all or very many of the following to happen…

Montana to beat Montana State
North Dakota to beat North Dakota State
Northwestern St to beat Incarnate Word
UC Davis to beat Sacramento State
Georgetown to beat Holy Cross
Northern Arizona to beat Weber State
Richmond to beat William & Mary

All upsets.

FUBeAR wants another SoCon Championship, an AtLarge Bid, and a Home Playoff game.

As valuable as a Seed is … the value of the very low probability of a seed is not worth trading off a SoCon Championship for that long shot.

GO BEARS! BEAT SAMFORD!! DO IT FOR THE DINS!!!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
 #60386  by Thorny
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

I think the knock on Mercer at this point is they struggle to win big games against good teams.

Mercer's schedule was backloaded. They were always going to come out of the gate hot and we were not really going to know what sort of team they had until the last few weeks of the season.
That was a problem with Drew Cronic's offense when he was at Furman. We would beat the snot out of inferior teams but could not run the ball against a solid defensive front to save our lives. Not much has changed. :lol:
 #60387  by Roundball
 Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:45 pm
Thorny wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:38 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

That was a problem with Drew Cronic's offense when he was at Furman. We would beat the snot out of inferior teams but could not run the ball against a solid defensive front to save our lives. Not much has changed. :lol:
I have always thought Cronic was overrated as a coach. Glad he is at Mercer.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:32 am

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:26 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.