• Western Carolina

#58030  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:51 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:38 pm
Tomorrow promises to be a beautiful day for Furman Football!

I hope all of you will join me at Paladin Stadium to cheer our Purple Men on to victory. Let's send those Mangey Cats back up the mountain with their tails between their legs.

And they better not even think about messing with our goalpost!

For the first time in I forget how long (10 years, probably), the Jackal and FUWolfpacker will be in Paladin Stadium.

Let's not blow it, ok.
apaladin, AstroDin, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #58031  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:51 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:38 pm
Tomorrow promises to be a beautiful day for Furman Football!

I hope all of you will join me at Paladin Stadium to cheer our Purple Men on to victory. Let's send those Mangey Cats back up the mountain with their tails between their legs.

And they better not even think about messing with our goalpost!

For the first time in I forget how long (10 years, probably), the Jackal and FUWolfpacker will be in Paladin Stadium.

Let's not blow it, ok.
Thought TheUFFP KeyMan Insurance Policy prohibited such an occurrence.

What if there is a terrorist attack or a natural disaster at Paladin Stadium?
 #58037  by FUwolfpacker
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:10 pm
For the record I have been to PS many times in the last decade. Us being there at the same time has become too rare of an occurrence. Excited to be back for the first time since becoming a father. Need to grab some Furman baby gear. There is WAY to much orange with the purple items we do have.

As far as the insurance policy goes, it's not prohibited, but it is frowned upon. We don't have a designated survivor yet, but we're taking applications. Standards will be very low. Only requirement is you'll have to be able to post in such a way that FUbeAR can't help but comment on your posts ;).

All joking aside, I'm excited to be there in person tomorrow!
 #58038  by Flagman
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:32 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
For the record I have been to PS many times in the last decade. Us being there at the same time has become too rare of an occurrence. Excited to be back for the first time since becoming a father. Need to grab some Furman baby gear. There is WAY to much orange with the purple items we do have.

As far as the insurance policy goes, it's not prohibited, but it is frowned upon. We don't have a designated survivor yet, but we're taking applications. Standards will be very low. Only requirement is you'll have to be able to post in such a way that FUbeAR can't help but comment on your posts ;).

The premium for your insurance policy is a dish of sausage balls delivered to Flagman’s tailgate.
FUwolfpacker, FUBeAR liked this
 #58045  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:56 am
gofurman wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:30 pm

2- if you watch the play you will notice the CItadel does Not respect Huff's run much by this point - meaning his willingness to pull the ball and take it himself. And based on the game develpments.. they shouldn't. They have everyone keyed on the RB except one guy watching Huff. One. Need his dual threat capability to at least make another guy slide towards the QB keeper to the left. All the Citadel guys were there for ROberto. Awesome that he ran right over them! But that won't work vs great FCS DL.

Hope Huff can be a runner (even if taught to slide more) again soon...

This is a straight hand off by Huff. Yes, the Citadel was keying on Roberto because that's who was getting the ball.

I disagree with your assessment that the Citadel wasn't respecting Huff's ability to run, though. This play is a good example.

I have no idea if this is called to be a straight handoff to Roberto or a zone read by Huff. Probably the former. What you can see, though, is Citadel clearly respects Huff's running ability.

Huff effectively blocks the backside defensive end by staring at him (i.e., blocks him "with his eyes"). There is no Furman player assigned to block the backside DE/OLB. That player is forced to slowly feather down the line of scrimmage because he has to defend the possibility that Huff will pull the ball and run around him.

Also look at the backside safety. His eyes are watching the interaction at the line of scrimmage between Huff and the DE/OLB. I assume it will be his responsibility to fill the lane backside if Huff gets to the corner.

Huff's running ability caused hesitation for two Citadel defenders on this play. Roberto reels off a long touchdown run and Furman really didn't even bother blocking two Bulldog defenders. The threat of Huff's outside run kept them in one spot and allowed Furman's offense to get numbers at the point of attack.

I think we all assumed that Huff's running was limited because of his injury. It seemed in the post-game comments that Huff didn't run that much because Furman didn't need to.
Fair. I do get your point on this individual play. -regarding Huff freezing defenders with eyes etc. True

But if you don't run it a few times - say 5 per game.. then eventually most teams will quit respecting the 'dual threat' at least as much... .. maybe not until the late 3rd quarter... but at some point.

Also, I heavily suspect Huff didn't run BOTH bc we didn't need it AND in a protection mode. Proof? Its right there for you in the quickest slide I have EVER seen him take. C'mon. Furman was playing to protect him - I don't think we have ever seen him slide and only have one run in a game. He usually runs several times and takes hard hits. The injury was at play at some level. That's without a doubt. Usual Huff - 6 runs taking HARD hits. Post injury? One run, and a quick slide. And that is the RIGHT decision. Just we probably shouldn't say his lack of running/keeping the ball was all because of a lack of need. It was due to BOTH a lack of need and some wise(!!!) precaution.

I hope he is healthy enough to run some soon. But I bet he slides more than he did before. IF he slides more now - I am specifically referring to how much he Slides going forward... then that's protection of him from the coaches, not "Huff didn't run that much because Furman didn't need to." I bet he runs a little more in a game soon but the slides are more common.
 #58046  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:11 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:

CONGRATULATIONS !!!
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #58047  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:21 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:15 pm
WCU's two deep: https://catamountsports.com/sports/foot ... er?path=fb

I think they pulled their starting QB at some point in the Mercer game. Looking at the stats from the year, he appears to be their better passer but has a pretty eye popping 11 interceptions on the season against 12 touchdowns. That's gotta be an interesting area to watch against Furman's pretty aggressive defensive backfield. Unlike most WCU QBs we have seen over the years, he does not appear to be much of a runner.

Per usual, WCU is going to have their usual assortment of pass catchers. The leading rusher is listed as a backup on the two deep, so I guess there's some question of whether he is a full go.

Defensively, it's a 3-4. One slight oddity with WCU that I've noticed over a few games watching them (and their fans seem to confirm) is that they almost tend to play two safeties as part of their four linebacker group.

One linebacker, their Bandit, appears to be more of a stand up defensive end without much pass coverage responsibility. Their two outside linebackers are more slightly built and are comparable to their safeties in terms of physical build.

It will be interesting to see if Furman is able to attack that with big running backs.
WCU QB - 12 TDs , 11 INTs
Huff - 5 TDs, 4 INTs

Neither one has a great TD to INT ratio. I realize we like to run it in if we get near the goal line but we HAVE to cut out the turnovers. NINE turnovers in last 3 games... thought the trend is in the right. 4 vs CSU, 3 vs. Samford, 2 vs. Citadel...
 #58048  by gofurman
 Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:26 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:32 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:40 pm
45-10
What he said.

Say "No" to small-ball and score as many freakin' points as we can.

I've never seen Furman lose a game because we scored too much, but I've seen too many where we lost because we didn't score enough and counted on our D to win it for us.
I'm skeered
 #58139  by Davemeister
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:34 am
Davemeister wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
45-10
What he said.

I've never seen Furman lose a game because we scored too much, but I've seen too many where we lost because we didn't score enough and counted on our D to win it for us.

From my desktop to God's ears. Yesterday's win was an answered prayer, but it definitely scared the #*&!%^ out of me!
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #58151  by Furmanoid
 Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:20 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sun Oct 16, 2022 10:34 am
Davemeister wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
45-10
What he said.

From my desktop to God's ears. Yesterday's win was an answered prayer, but it definitely scared the #*&!%^ out of me!
I came pretty close in my prediction except for the 30 extra points WCU got. I wouldn’t have predicted our holding them to 10 because I have been disappointed by our D so far. But any time I express any concern for our D, 2 or 3 guys jump on my case for not seeing how stout and elite it is. Seems that only a moron would see anything wrong with our D.
Davemeister liked this