• Furman Citadel Game Thread

#57644  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:13 pm
Got to open the offense up a bit. Running isn’t opening up the pass. Need to pass to setup the run.
 #57645  by Paladin91
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:14 pm
Super uninspiring football. I mean, we’re a veteran football team that should be dominating Citadel. No purpose, no drive - low energy. Starts with leadership at the top. We should be better than this.
apaladin, tim, Davemeister liked this
 #57648  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:16 pm
Just a horrible third down play call. You had 2 downs to get 4 yds. We are a very average team that is not very well coached.
tim liked this
 #57650  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:19 pm
Team is playing alright. Both interceptions were awful throws on similar routes.

I hope our coaching staff isn't out thinking themselves here. Citadel is a high pressure defense. This is the type of game they wanted to play today.

We're moving the ball well. Our defense looks solid. We're just not giving ourselves a lot of room for error right now.
 #57651  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:20 pm
If we cannot beat a terrible Citadel team today I have no confidence in CCH moving forward. In his 6th year, he has shown me very little. I will say most of his reign has been hampered by not having an Ingle Martin or Chris Forcier at QB but overall we have really been mediocre. One Southern Conference co-championship (2018) in 6 years and 2 years in the playoffs (2017 and 2019)-we are headed in the wrong direction. The embarrassing loss to Austin Peay in 2019 should not qualify as a playoff appearance as it hurt Furman University PR wise.

What an uninspiring first half against a bad team.
tim liked this
 #57652  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Team is playing alright. Both interceptions were awful throws on similar routes.

I hope our coaching staff isn't out thinking themselves here. Citadel is a high pressure defense. This is the type of game they wanted to play today.

We're moving the ball well. Our defense looks solid. We're just not giving ourselves a lot of room for error right now.
Not sure I would say we are moving well. We have 145 yards of offense. At half. That's bad. Can't really say we are moving it well and our D is playing well when they have 122 yards and we have 145. And yes, I know we gave up 2 picks. But that counts. I will absolutely agree that 122 yards for them is great D for us. But that means we are 20 yards better than what a great d gave up.
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #57654  by purplehorse
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Wow-we played “alright”.

You should get an award for the world’s biggest OPTIMIST. And yes I will be happy to take the pessimist/realist award!

I will check to see who won after the game. The uninspiring play has not been very enjoyable.
apaladin liked this
 #57655  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:30 pm
Wait and see. Screwng up at the end of the half will come back to haunt us. Should have had a 2 score lead. Now one play away from getting beat. Still can’t run the ball and still no big play capability. Offense has 70 yds after the first drive. Guess we thought it was goung to be easy. According to the Citadel play by play they guy they are down to their 5-6-7 receivers, starting true freshmen yet we still got burnt twice. Again a once hopeful season is slowly going down the toiket.
 #57656  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:31 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:24 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Wow-we played “alright”.

You should get an award for the world’s biggest OPTIMIST. And yes I will be happy to take the pessimist/realist award!

I will check to see who won after the game. The uninspiring play has not been very enjoyable.
yep. Let's call it - that was a BAD half of offense. BBBBBAAAAADDDD. I know the Citadel D is good. But they ain't that good. At this pace we would get 290 yards of O. THat is Horrible. You should always aim to hold a team to 350 yards for your D and get 400 yards on O. That said, our D has been outstanding though still a few recvrs getting too open. I agree with AP - they should throw it 30 times. Thankfully they arent so far.