#56919  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:55 pm
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Affirm liked this

#56920  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:55 pm
Last edited by DungeonRealm on Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #56922  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:56 pm
Perusing Samford highlights.

This looks like a "sugar huddle" from Samford. #0 who goes in motion is probably their top receiving threat. WCU seems ill prepared for this, gets out of position, and it's a long touchdown run.

Honestly, I don't remember Samford doing much of this sort of thing in the past. Glad we'll be prepared for it.

#56923  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:58 pm
This was WCU's game in a nutshell. Samford's defense really had nothing to do with this interception outside of being at the location the ball softly was falling to the ground.

#56924  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:04 pm
Either this is Charmain ultra soft defense from WCU or the safety and linebacker were mixed up on who was supposed to pick up the running back.

#56926  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:

This looks like a "sugar huddle" from Samford. #0 who goes in motion is probably their top receiving threat. WCU seems ill prepared for this, gets out of position, and it's a long touchdown run.

Honestly, I don't remember Samford doing much of this sort of thing in the past. Glad we'll be prepared for it.

Inside Zone vs. 2 high secondary. Samford has run this play 10,000 times. This time they blocked it very well, the RB made a nice cut, and WCU’s Safeties both overcommitted at/into the line. They’re called “Safety” for a reason.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #56927  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:02 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Either this is Charmain ultra soft defense from WCU or the safety and linebacker were mixed up on who was supposed to pick up the running back.

Wheel Post vs. what looks like Cover 1 (Man/Free) with a ridiculously illegal ‘rub’ of the LB, who should have been covering the wheel. Absolutely OPI and should have been called back.
 #56930  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:08 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:02 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Wheel Post vs. what looks like Cover 1 (Man/Free) with a ridiculously illegal ‘rub’ of the LB, who should have been covering the wheel. Absolutely OPI and should have been called back.
I debated that, but I couldn’t imagine a linebacker putting up that little effort to get through the pick. I at least gave them the benefit of pretending it was busted coverage.

I agree with you, though. It looks like clear offensive pass interference and no touchdown.
 #56931  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:57 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:06 am
While yesterday wasn't pretty, Furman is among the league leaders in most offensive categories through 4 games.

The Paladin offense is #2 in scoring offense, #1 in rush offense, #3 in passing offense.

On paper, Furman is the favorite in this game. Better offensively. Better defensively. Playing at home.

One area of real concern for Samford would be Furman's penchant for forcing turnovers. 13 takeaways including 8 interceptions are an area of Furman's game the Bulldogs are going to want to avoid. While our defense has been susceptible to big plays, they also do a pretty good job of punishing teams for balls not thrown directly on target.
I cetainly hope that holds up - us taking the ball away so much. What needs to stop is the equal sharing of turnovers... I think we BOTH had 4 turnovers in FU v CSU. 8 turnovers total is crazy. I think we all know we can't turn it over 4 times and beat Sammy. I sure would like a nice positive to ratio like v ETSU !

And I agree I haven't seen us tip/deflect/pick so many balls in a long time if ever !!!!!!
 #56932  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:14 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Inside Zone vs. 2 high secondary. Samford has run this play 10,000 times. This time they blocked it very well, the RB made a nice cut, and WCU’s Safeties both overcommitted at/into the line. They’re called “Safety” for a reason.
appreciate yall's assessments and views on these plays - thanks for scouting !!
 #56934  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:39 am
I noticed game notes for Samford were out last night.

Jace Wilson Starter
Carson Jones backup

Jumper is listed as the starter at center OR Hughes
Hughes is listed as starter at guard OR Hundley

A move I saw coming…
Jackson is not listed on the two-deep.
Barton will start at DE, and Bryce Stanfield has moved over to DE as the backup.
DE is what Bryce played last season.

Blackshear is back on the two-deep at corner.
Miller and Chizik are listed at spur.

Last change, Wilkins is out, and Hartwell is now listed as the backup at SS.
Hartwell made a great open-field tackle at Clemson, and I am excited to see more of him.
 #56935  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:10 am
This is the time of the season where teams are starting to test their depth.

I read the depth chart to say Jumper, McCormick, and Blackshear are possible/probable. Huff/Jackson/Wilkins are out.

Barton and Stanfield will be more than capable picking up the slack at DE.