#55721  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:09 am
This could be interesting. There is already qb controversy at Clemson. If we could just figure a way to score early and then help them shoot themselves in the foot 2 or 3 times when they have it, they will start to unravel. Their qb and receivers are very shaky.
 #55722  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:52 am
Furmanoid wrote:
This could be interesting. There is already qb controversy at Clemson. If we could just figure a way to score early and then help them shoot themselves in the foot 2 or 3 times when they have it, they will start to unravel. Their qb and receivers are very shaky.
They won’t be against FU.
 #55723  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:59 am
More filtering through video.

3 WR, 1 TE, 1 RB. NGU Sticks their entire defense inside the box essentially.

His name probably isn't going to pop up on the stat sheet, but you really see some of the advantages Parks Gissinger gives our offense. He's 6'4 240 lbs and provides us an in-line TE we've been lacking for a long time (we've had great pass catching TEs over the years, but not as many physical dudes up front).

Gissinger blocks down, and allows Tomlin and Johanning to pull around the end. Kick out, turn up. Roberto finds Johanning and cuts inside.

Gissinger drives his man into the end zone. Wyatt Hughes (RG) drives his man into the end zone. Pearson Toomey gets to the second level and the NGU defender tries to cut him, but he too gets driven (literally) into the end zone.

This is bully ball inside the red zone and I'm a fan.

#55724  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:04 am
Also need to give the defense a little love.

If you wondered about our defensive backfield depth, none of the guys in the backfield on this play are starters. The anticipation on this ball is outstanding by Yates.

#55725  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:07 am
The Jackal wrote:

His name probably isn't going to pop up on the stat sheet, but you really see some of the advantages Parks Gissinger gives our offense. He's 6'4 240 lbs and provides us an in-line TE we've been lacking for a long time (we've had great pass catching TEs over the years, but not as many physical dudes up front).

Gissinger blocks down, and allows Tomlin and Johanning to pull around the end. Kick out, turn up. Roberto finds Johanning and cuts inside.

Gissinger drives his man into the end zone. Wyatt Hughes (RG) drives his man into the end zone. Pearson Toomey gets to the second level and the NGU defender tries to cut him, but he too gets driven (literally) into the end zone.

Interesting scheme…Outside Zone / Stretch w/Pin & Double p/s Pull. Can’t run that unless OT & OG are ATHLETES.
 #55726  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:22 am
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Why not?

Do you think they were afraid of playing GT in the M-B in ATL, but won’t be afraid of playing Furman at home?

FUBeAR doesn’t think they feared/will fear either. They’re Clemson.

The QB is “shaky” because he’s shaky. He’s just got an odd ‘game’ … kinda looks like when Euro basketball Players started playing in the NBA. Their ‘game’ was just different. And he’s no Vlade Divac.

Don’t know if the WR’s are shaky, but they are just not as talented as Clemson’s previous greats. They are no Sammy Watkins or no Mike Williams…or even No Hank Williams…

Purple rain liked this
 #55727  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:40 pm
The qb does have an odd game, but he is also shaky. He killed the first two drives with butter fingers, then threw 10 ft too high or in in the dirt repeatedly. He looks really worried about his job because he his. So either he’s going to suddenly respond to the pressure, or he’s going to melt down. He’s better than last year, but he’s already taking heat. If he gets off to a bad start against us, he may be done.

Clemson has started recruiting wr’s who can’t catch. They think they can cure it, but they can’t. They have a couple who can catch, but they prefer throwing to the guys who can’t. Every time they drop one, they get shakier. I’m hoping 80k angry Tiger fans will humiliate them and destroy what little confidence they have left.
 #55728  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:21 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:07 am
The Jackal wrote:

Interesting scheme…Outside Zone / Stretch w/Pin & Double p/s Pull. Can’t run that unless OT & OG are ATHLETES.

I slowed it down a bit and was really impressed with Hughes (RG) on this play. He's able to reach and get his head across a player basically lined up over the center.

To put another way, the first NGU defender to really get a hat on Roberto is the nose guard at 1 yard line. 11 man stacked box and the NG makes contact 5 yards down field. I don't care what team you are playing, it's not easy to run against that look.

While it's not the most beautiful play, you can really see some of our veteran play along the offensive front line.
 #55734  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:12 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Why not?

Do you think they were afraid of playing GT in the M-B in ATL, but won’t be afraid of playing Furman at home?

The QB is “shaky” because he’s shaky. He’s just got an odd ‘game’ … kinda looks like when Euro basketball Players started playing in the NBA. Their ‘game’ was just different. And he’s no Vlade Divac.

Don’t know if the WR’s are shaky, but they are just not as talented as Clemson’s previous greats. They are no Sammy Watkins or no Mike Williams…or even No Hank Williams…

Because they do not make mistakes against FU or any FCS team or rarely do. Don’t know why. Maybe its because their confidence levels go way up? We won’t even go into the resident refs.
 #55735  by MNORM
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:32 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:12 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
Why not?

Because they do not make mistakes against FU or any FCS team or rarely do. Don’t know why. Maybe its because their confidence levels go way up? We won’t even go into the resident refs.

#55736  by Purple rain
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:01 pm
I don't know if there is a good time or bad time to play Clemson, but them playing last night has to be a positive for us. We are a lot more experienced on Offense vs the last time we played them with 2 super young inexperienced QBs.
AstroDin liked this
 #55737  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:04 pm
Purple rain wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:01 pm
I don't know if there is a good time or bad time to play Clemson, but them playing last night has to be a positive for us. We are a lot more experienced on Offense vs the last time we played them with 2 super young inexperienced QBs.
If I had a choice between playing Clemson at home on a full week's rest or less than a full week's rest, I'd pick the latter.
 #55739  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:03 pm
I think we all know the issue for anyone - even FBS P5 - vs Clemson is SCORING.

Last 3 Clemson scores
Beat GT 41-10. Clemson blocked two punts but only allowed TEN points
Beat Iowa State 20-13. Again. Allowed less than two TDs vs a bowl worthy P5 team
Beat Gamecocks. 30-0. Eek. ZERO for an SEC team

The DL is just nasty.

I bet the Vegas line of 44 (confirmed by a post above) yields a total of 50 or so. Meaning clemson 47-3 or 50-6 type score.

As the announcer said last night… the D is going to buy time for the Clemson O
To try (try) and improve

Look, I want to win them all but I’ll easily take an L to Clemson by 40 and a W at ETSU as opposed to a closer loss to Clemson and L to ETSU. Play well. Stay healthy. BEAT ETSU!

GoFurman !!