• Elon Game Thread

#3584  by FU69
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:58 pm
I'm not sure I can recall a more embarrassing effort/loss. If there is one I don't want to recall it. Did you hear that loud pop? That was the Furman Football Excitement Balloon exploding!
The loss to Davidson 14-77 at Sirrine in 1969 or '70
But the balloon was popped. I heard it, too.
 #3591  by Paul C
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
I'm not sure I can recall a more embarrassing effort/loss. If there is one I don't want to recall it. Did you hear that loud pop? That was the Furman Football Excitement Balloon exploding!
I don’t have to think hard.

Kennesaw St a couple years ago.
 #3592  by MNORM
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:56 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:53 pm
apaladin wrote:
I don’t have to think hard.

Kennesaw St a couple years ago.
You just beat me to it.

On to Colgate. I have confidence that Staggs, Quarles, and CCH will get things back up and running this week in practice. No doubt they are infinitely more disappointed in the effort than us.
dornb liked this
 #3593  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:01 pm
FU69 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
The loss to Davidson 14-77 at Sirrine in 1969 or '70
But the balloon was popped. I heard it, too.
True but I don't count anything during the "Football For Fun Bunch" era.
 #3597  by purplehorse
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:23 pm
One thing is certain: we need to teach our two little quarterbacks to hold onto the ball. Between this game and the 2nd half of the Clemson game they are coughing up the ball every time they get hit hard. It does matter how anyone else plays, if they keep turning the ball over, we won’t beat anyone.

I am still confident in our staff and think we will “right the ship” soon.
 #3599  by mathprofhiker
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:36 pm
I was in Rhodes Stadium tonight with a lot of other Furman fans. Definitely disappointed, but as others have said nowhere near as bad as some games a few years ago. I didn't think there was 38 points of difference in talent between the two teams. Our Freshmen QBs played like Freshmen, and they didn't get a lot of help: they had defenders in their face all day. Elon was all over our perimeter runs, and their OL dominated our DL: they played a great game. Definitely a tape to burn, or a file to delete from the server since it's the 21st century. On to Colgate.
 #3603  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:50 pm
raleigh fan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 pm
The homecoming loss to Samford
Yes but that was a team on a downward spiral and going nowhere. This is a team coming off a good year and supposedly on the rise. This was a big step back.
 #3606  by youwouldno
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:01 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:50 pm
raleigh fan wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:22 pm
The homecoming loss to Samford
Yes but that was a team on a downward spiral and going nowhere. This is a team coming off a good year and supposedly on the rise. This was a big step back.
Yeah, there's a huge difference in context. After a big step forward last year, to completely implode is far more shocking and disappointing. It's pretty much impossible to overstate how awful this game was in every possible respect.
 #3608  by dins13
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:30 pm
First time I’ve ever left a game that early. Have to work tomorrow and the Braves had a huge game starting at 8:10. Hands down one of the 3-4 worst games I’ve seen us play, every bit as bad as some of the games in recent years. Hope the guys can figure it out. See y’all next week for Crest. Or whatever toothpaste it is we’re playing.
 #3609  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:40 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
I was in Rhodes Stadium tonight with a lot of other Furman fans. Definitely disappointed, but as others have said nowhere near as bad as some games a few years ago. I didn't think there was 38 points of difference in talent between the two teams. Our Freshmen QBs played like Freshmen, and they didn't get a lot of help: they had defenders in their face all day. Elon was all over our perimeter runs, and their OL dominated our DL: they played a great game. Definitely a tape to burn, or a file to delete from the server since it's the 21st century. On to Colgate.
And their DL beat up our OL... Bad. And often. Basically we got whooped in the trenches until the 4th Q when Elon put in the mercy rule players. Honest Credit to Elon. They played like a tough hard-nosed team.

We beat Colgate by about 30+ last year. If we lose to Colgate we will KNOW we are in trouble

***One oddity. No offense to current players but just a question of recruiting... Why don't we have a Junior or at least a R-Soph QB ? Did someone transfer? I think maybe so? . (Because generally you recruit a QB each year. Like we have lincoln R-fr and Grainger and Sisson as FR now. Someone in each year. ). The large age gap in Lincoln to Harris Roberts is strange. Anyone?
 #3614  by mathprofhiker
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:26 am
dins13 wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:30 pm
First time I’ve ever left a game that early. Have to work tomorrow and the Braves had a huge game starting at 8:10. Hands down one of the 3-4 worst games I’ve seen us play, every bit as bad as some of the games in recent years. Hope the guys can figure it out. See y’all next week for Crest. Or whatever toothpaste it is we’re playing.
I'm not blaming you considering your work circumstances, but it did amaze me how few of the Furman fans left early. We might have been stunned, dazed, and confused, but most of us (myself included) were still there at the end of the game. The season's young: this team will grow up a lot by November.
dins13 liked this
 #3615  by furman88
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:33 am
Hate to pile on in a bad situation but we were whipped physically,mentally and morale wise. That was as nasty of a game as I have watched FU play in many years. The offense has changed and so has the play calling. Elon was moving 8 to 9 guys in the box because we had no way to pass or streach the field. No seperation from our recivers and no time to throw downfield.
Im not a coach but we hung our heads early and body language shows. Elon is a good team and they smelled the blood.I remain a solid supporter but i don't understand a performance like this in the second game of the year. We feel we have the top staff in Socon but we had our lunch taken and made us like it. I do give credit to a good, tough Elon team. I also walk away scratching my head wondering where we really are. Really don't know.
I know im going to wake up and this did not relly happen, this was a true set back.
 #3620  by AstroDin
 Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:08 am
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:40 pm
mathprofhiker wrote:
And their DL beat up our OL... Bad. And often. Basically we got whooped in the trenches until the 4th Q when Elon put in the mercy rule players. Honest Credit to Elon. They played like a tough hard-nosed team.

We beat Colgate by about 30+ last year. If we lose to Colgate we will KNOW we are in trouble

***One oddity. No offense to current players but just a question of recruiting... Why don't we have a Junior or at least a R-Soph QB ? Did someone transfer? I think maybe so? . (Because generally you recruit a QB each year. Like we have lincoln R-fr and Grainger and Sisson as FR now. Someone in each year. ). The large age gap in Lincoln to Harris Roberts is strange. Anyone?
GoFurman, a great question, I had to do a little digging to figure out what was bothering me about this…

Reese Hannon 2012 — 2016
Dillon Woodruff 2013 — 2017
Pj Blazejowski 2014 — 2017
Harris Robers 2014 — senior
Reese Vita 2015 — walk on ?
Avery Armstrong 2016 —
Jemar Lincoln 2017 —
Darren Grainger 2018 —
Hamp Sisson 2018 —

ding, ding… Avery Armstrong moved from QB to WR.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.