• 2022 Football Schedule

#49733  by Furmanoid
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:54 pm
Wouldn’t be surprised if the whole FBS, FCS, DII division system is completely overhauled by ‘24. No telling who we’ll need to play.
 #49762  by Affirm
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:34 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:49 pm
Except for the night exhibition game we have no real home games in September. That is odd. Look for D2’s to be the new norm. Need a home game in ‘23 and ‘24, maybe 2 in ‘24 as it is a 12 game season,
Maybe just be resigned in many seasons (maybe every other season) to ONLY conference opponents (4) for home games ——
Perhaps something like games #3, #6, #9, #11 or #12 at home,
And
perhaps ALL the other 7 or 8 games away in many seasons (maybe every other season), including ALL of the 3 or 4 non-conference away games being “good” FCS away games/opponents (when no FBS opponent is available to play us), whether it’s 5 hours or 7 hours or 9 hours road travel or occasional air travel.
Maybe this would be better than having games like the 2 being most complained about in the 2022 schedule?
apaladin liked this
 #49825  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:38 am
I was wrong, we are ok for 2023 with one ooc home game and 2 road. 2024 is a 12 game regular season and have 2 road games, no home games. Would be nice to get 2 home games and have a rare 6 home games, but if it includes a D2 then no.
 #49831  by Flagman
 Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:26 pm
What is our deal with Chuck South? 2 for one? Should be 3 for one.
 #49833  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:42 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:26 pm
What is our deal with Chuck South? 2 for one? Should be 3 for one.
Agree but looks like it was a one for one. They played here in 2019. I think this game was moved from 2020. They are not on any future schedukes.
 #49881  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:08 pm
FBS schedules lists the purple/white scrimmage as March 26. Guess “spring” practice will start by the end of this month.
 #49885  by Yadkin
 Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:24 pm
apaladin wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:08 pm
FBS schedules lists the purple/white scrimmage as March 26. Guess “spring” practice will start by the end of this month.
NSD release said spring practice starts on Feb. 16. Not a guess.
 #49886  by Affirm
 Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:00 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:38 am
I was wrong, we are ok for 2023 with one ooc home game and 2 road. 2024 is a 12 game regular season and have 2 road games, no home games. Would be nice to get 2 home games and have a rare 6 home games, but if it includes a D2 then no.
So, for 2024, as I suggested Wednesday evening: "... just be resigned ..." [if CH and JD work does not produce something better] to what I said.
 #49887  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:16 pm
In the latest JD podcast he did mention they hoped to go public with the anouncement on the Tennessee game soon and also mentioned a possible game with Florida.
 #49958  by Affirm
 Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:27 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:16 pm
In the latest JD podcast he did mention they hoped to go public with the anouncement on the Tennessee game soon and also mentioned a possible game with Florida.
Good to read that!
EDIT:
Having read subsequent posts in this thread, I would like to strike the above comment from the record. Apparently there is no "delete post" available.
At this point, it seems to me that we are possibly better to play and defeat weak D1 FCS programs for OOC games, if we can financially afford to fill our OOC schedule with such programs instead of good or not-so-good FBS programs.
Last edited by Affirm on Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #50125  by FUBeAR
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:07 pm
HKB60 wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:32 am
We win the conference it doesn't matter who we play OOC!
Sounds good, 60…but not true.

Seeding matters. If we win the SoCon - let’s say we go 7-1 (as ETSU did in 2021) … and we give Clemson a decent game…let’s say it’s a 35-17 loss. OK, we’re 8-2. Now, if we play PC and win (even if the score is 14-13), that gives us a 9-2 record and, most likely…a seed…a bye…a 2nd round home playoff game…all those things matter…don’t they?

But…what if we play D2 National Finalist/Runner-Up, Valdosta State (instead of PC), and beat them 69-0. Know what the Playoff Selection Committee thinks of that? Nothing…absolutely nothing. To them, our record is still 8-2 with no FBS wins and that nagging loss to whichever SoCon beat us….Sorry…not quite worthy of a seed, Paladins…and, sorry, but Richmond outbid you for your 1st round matchup. If you’re able to overcome the Spiders (be good to see Udinski & Herres again, huh?), then you get to go to Fargo to play #1 Seed NDSU in your 2nd round game….which would have been at Furman vs. Davidson (who beat Elon in Rd1)…if only you would have played and beaten D1 PC by 1 point…instead of blowing out D2 Valdosta.

The system sux…but it is what it is…and who we play does matter…way more than it should .
 #50128  by Furmanoid
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:39 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
HKB60 wrote:

Seeding matters. If we win the SoCon - let’s say we go 7-1 (as ETSU did in 2021) … and we give Clemson a decent game…let’s say it’s a 35-17 loss. OK, we’re 8-2. Now, if we play PC and win (even if the score is 14-13), that gives us a 9-2 record and, most likely…a seed…a bye…a 2nd round home playoff game…all those things matter…don’t they?

But…what if we play D2 National Finalist/Runner-Up, Valdosta State (instead of PC), and beat them 69-0. Know what the Playoff Selection Committee thinks of that? Nothing…absolutely nothing. To them, our record is still 8-2 with no FBS wins and that nagging loss to whichever SoCon beat us….Sorry…not quite worthy of a seed, Paladins…and, sorry, but Richmond outbid you for your 1st round matchup. If you’re able to overcome the Spiders (be good to see Udinski & Herres again, huh?), then you get to go to Fargo to play #1 Seed NDSU in your 2nd round game….which would have been at Furman vs. Davidson (who beat Elon in Rd1)…if only you would have played and beaten D1 PC by 1 point…instead of blowing out D2 Valdosta.

The system sux…but it is what it is…and who we play does matter…way more than it should .
To paraphrase Mora, “Seeding! Seeding?! Seeding??, I’d just like to make the playoffs!”
bj93 liked this
 #50131  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:13 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
HKB60 wrote:

I sort of agree with you, but sort of not.

I do agree that who you play matters insofar as it really needs to be D1 competition. I do not really believe it matters who you play inside that D1 category.

In FBS football, there is incentives for the top programs to play one another. That really isn't the case in the FCS. Most programs would be better off playing the weakest non-conference FCS teams they can find as it adds a tally to the "D1 win" category.

The issue with scheduling, as I see it, is that every team wants (1) ease of travel (2) beatable FCS opponent. There are only so many such programs, and every other playoff-hungry FCS team is trying to schedule the same opponents.

Even without trying, you'll eventually get back around where you have to schedule a D2 or an NAIA. The alternative, I guess, is to go the route where the same two or three teams pop up on the schedule nearly every season (Elon, Gardner Webb, etc.)