• Post game summary and questions

#44943  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:21 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:56 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:08 pm
No one on here is "happy" with the offensive production. Literally everyone on here is seeing the same thing. We watch the games. We get it.

At the same time, we can't get a player at the trade deadline. There's no free agency. We aren't firing a coach midseason. There's no transfer window during the season. We have the coaches and players that we have.

The difference is the "perpetually dissatisfied" would rather sulk and whine than look at the fact that Furman is 4-2 and tied for first in the SoCon. You'd rather look at the average yardage than look at the win total.

You will not, of course, ever mention that the defense is probably the best in the league. You will not highlight that the offense scores more points than the defense surrenders. You will forget the 90 yard run and 58 yard pass in the first quarter and focus only on the inability to move the ball in the 3rd quarter.

It isn't that most of us are "optimists" or satisfied with mediocrity or know the coaches, but that most of us want to enjoy Furman football without a group of you bellyaching about something every 15 minutes.

I've praised the defense on many occasions. I think Vaughn is doing a fantastic job and am impressed across the board with personnel, scheme, etc. Actually that's the main thing that bothers me about the offense - imagine where the Paladins could be if that was also a strength. And offense should be the easier side of the ball. In year 5 of a coaching regime, you just can't have an offense underachieve like this and pretend there's no issue. It's not "pessimism" to make note of reality.

When it comes to the past, sure, 'a win is a win' for the most part (not entirely because margin impacts both computer and poll rankings, which are used in the at-large and seeding processes). But the discussion is often around the future - what to expect in the next game, or for the rest of the season. Take ETSU for instance - last week they were sitting at 6-0 with a high ranking, yet neither of us was overly impressed, and I predicted they would lose multiple games over the remainder of the season. The past and future are different things.

I don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but I think it's important to put things in context.

College football today is a different animal. Hendrix inherited a team that basically didn't retain a QB recruit for three seasons. I am fairly certain that prior to Jace Wilson, Hamp Sisson is the only QB recruit in Hendrix's tenure that has managed to stick with the program.

That's no an excuse. It's still a reality. Ten years ago if you'd told me a Furman QB would transfer out of Furman to an FBS school and play immediately, I'd have laughed at you. That's just the world we live in now.

Would our offense be different with Darren Grainger or Jemar Lincoln under center and Jace Wilson redshirting? Maybe. It's unfortunate that we've had a lot of instability at the most important position on the field. At the same time, all we can do is move forward.

We can't make Jace Wilson an experienced veteran overnight. He becomes an experienced veteran by learning on the job.
DeepPurple, fupaladin01 liked this
 #44945  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:22 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:45 pm
I just got around to watching the game. I thought we looked pretty good. I guess JW’s stat sheet didn’t look great but I thought he looked pretty good overall. I didn’t understand the switch in the 4th quarter. Was JW hurt? Overall impression is that our offense can be pretty good with the right play calling. Just run and throw easy passes. A few short months ago it was a complete dumpster fire. I’ll take a qualified pretty good. The defense is real. It almost seems like they relish the challenge of having to win the game. So we’ll see.

I think Hendrix said they made the switch just to see if they could get some action in the passing game.
 #44947  by Furmanoid
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:30 pm
Did HS throw any passes? Seems like all we did was hand off (which worked out fine). Gosh, I hope we haven’t decided to unfix the offense.
 #44949  by bj93
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:58 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Did HS throw any passes? Seems like all we did was hand off (which worked out fine). Gosh, I hope we haven’t decided to unfix the offense.
2nd series he was in he threw 3 straight incomplete. Ended up 0-3 passing, 1 "carry" for -4 yards (fumbled snap on his first series).
 #44950  by furmandad
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:03 pm
bj93 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
2nd series he was in he threw 3 straight incomplete. Ended up 0-3 passing, 1 "carry" for -4 yards (fumbled snap on his first series).
HS threw a pretty nice ball for about 35-40 yards to Z. Peterson. Hit him in the hands. He didn't come down with it. Watch the game; JW can play a lot better. And I believe he will.
AstroDin liked this
 #44951  by Sir William
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:04 pm
I have to step back and take back part of a comment I made earlier…

GF, I want backtrack on my “troll” comment. Saw your post on the Citadel message board (ie, Thompson’s whining about the one penalty call) and I stand corrected. You are definitely one of us. My apologies.

And to the point of statistics…Most here have no problem with others pointing out the good and the bad. Just don’t forget to celebrate the wins in the midst of the statistical critique. Peace.
gman84, AstroDin liked this
 #44953  by Furmanfan22
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm
I see a lot of back and forth about the offense. All fair assessments, but let’s take a moment to recognize the INCREDIBLE efforts on defense. There is always room for improvement, but the defense is the constant light for this Furman team. Coach Vaughn has done some incredible work building depth and most importantly an identity on that side of the ball.

They played 94 snaps this past Saturday against an angry Citadel team and only gave up 14!! :D
DeepPurple, gman84, bj93 and 4 others liked this
 #44956  by Furmanoid
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:58 pm
bj93 wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
OK, I was skipping lots of Citadel possessions, and I must have accidentally skipped that FU possession.
 #44959  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:26 pm
Furmanfan22 wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:10 pm
I see a lot of back and forth about the offense. All fair assessments, but let’s take a moment to recognize the INCREDIBLE efforts on defense. There is always room for improvement, but the defense is the constant light for this Furman team. Coach Vaughn has done some incredible work building depth and most importantly an identity on that side of the ball.

They played 94 snaps this past Saturday against an angry Citadel team and only gave up 14!! :D

I don't think we talked enough about the defense.

Citadel had one slippery run by one of the league's best rushers on the first drive of the afternoon (after a Furman turnover). Other than that, the Citadel had to fight for every inch of grass out there. Nothing was given to them.
DeepPurple liked this
 #44963  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:10 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:36 pm
Another good piece in the Charleston P&C. “SoCon director of officials defends call in The Citadel’s loss at Furman.” https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/c ... b1aa6.html
Synopsis for those of us who do not (and won’t) subscribe to the P&C?
 #44966  by youwouldno
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:21 pm
I don't necessarily disagree with your premise, but I think it's important to put things in context.

College football today is a different animal. Hendrix inherited a team that basically didn't retain a QB recruit for three seasons. I am fairly certain that prior to Jace Wilson, Hamp Sisson is the only QB recruit in Hendrix's tenure that has managed to stick with the program.

I'm 100% on board with cutting coaches slack for things they can't control. But the coaches control the roster. Building that roster does not just mean recruiting HS students and filing LOIs once a year. It means accounting for possible attrition. It means making hard choices between competing priorities. Player retention is talked about constantly in college athletics.

It is the coaches' job - a huge part of the job - to bring in the right players, and keep them, or replace them. An occasional transfer isn't bad luck - it's part of the game. The lack of depth at QB has been discussed for years now in this forum, yet the problem just seems to get worse and worse. Meanwhile, the team has a top 25 defense, some major offensive weapons, even a solid kicker, and still is very unlikely to make the playoffs, and of course with no chance of making noise in the playoffs even if there is a bid.

Coaching is hard, I have no doubt. And I've never questioned whether CCH or anyone on his staff is a 'good coach'. But the simple truth is that they've mishandled the QB situation pretty much since taking over, between targeting the wrong recruits, not allocating enough scholarships to the position, not retaining players, etc. It's a shame because just one or two different decisions could have finally changed the program's trajectory. But alas.

The past is the past of course - what concerns me is what this problem says about the future. Even assuming JW is the answer, he takes some hits running the ball, and QBs get hurt with some frequency in general. This strategy of having 2, occasionally 3 scholarship QBs has got to stop. No one else does it (willingly) and it has failed horribly.
 #44968  by AstroDin
 Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:19 pm
To your point youwouldknow we're getting there.
I agree. I'll be curious to see if Carson Jones will be an early enrollee?

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.