JohnKX512 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:19 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:12 pm
FUBeAR is gonna ask Coach Occam to put his blade to this conundrum & slice us up a definitive resolution….

Yep …Coach O says the bellhops’ Placekickers, like everything else about the infernal ‘Rattery near the Battery,’ just plain SUCK!

Don’t overthink it.
Yeah, but he's batting 1.000.
Jackal…now what did Coach Occam tell us?…

They made a short FG w/the Bellhops leading a D2 Team 35-6…very late in the game.
4th 08:26 CIT - 37 yd field goal 7 plays, 34 yards, TOP 3:29 6 38

…and…

2020-21: place kicker in all 12 games…went 5-of-14 on field goals…so, now 6-of-15 = 40%.

If you are CIT’s HC & you have a 36% chance of making a FG for 3 points or a 50% chance of converting on 4th down, giving you a 71% chance for 7 points, WWJD?

FUBeAR will help…here’s the math…

.40 x 3 = 1.2
(.50 x .71) x 7 = 2.49
2.49 > 1.2

Now, get ‘em choppin’ & give Coach O 20 up downs!
Who are you, who are so wise in the way of science?
https://gobluehose.com/sports/football ... kelley/776
 #44589  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:16 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
FUBeAR is gonna ask Coach Occam to put his blade to this conundrum & slice us up a definitive resolution….

Yep …Coach O says the bellhops’ Placekickers, like everything else about the infernal ‘Rattery near the Battery,’ just plain SUCK!

Don’t overthink it.

They made a short FG w/the Bellhops leading a D2 Team 35-6…very late in the game.

…and…

2020-21: place kicker in all 12 games…went 5-of-14 on field goals…so, now 6-of-15 = 40%.

If you are CIT’s HC & you have a 40% chance of making a FG for 3 points or a 50% chance of converting on 4th down, giving you a 71% chance for 7 points, WWJD?

.40 x 3 = 1.2
(.50 x .71) x 7 = 2.49
2.49 > 1.2

Exactly. That same type math work would most likely tell FU Not to punt from the 34 or whatever we did v Wofford. Heck assume you have two plays and run a draw on third and if you get even a yd or three definitely go for it.

That said it was early and all you know is what has occurred until that point so far. But even if you suspect low scoring … punting from the 34 was weird

Agree w Jackal I wonder where the quick kick / vs QB may run a play’ option has gone. That has value. Keeps the D up so no punt return or makes it 11 v 10 if they drop a punt return man. Very powerful weapon.

The one area we haven’t improved on is KOR PR. Woff got one on us.. I don’t think we have made midfield w a return yet? Earnest Q - Have we returned a KOR to the 50?
 #44593  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Don’t overthink it.

…and…

If you are CIT’s HC & you have a 40% chance of making a FG for 3 points or a 50% chance of converting on 4th down, giving you a 71% chance for 7 points, WWJD?

.40 x 3 = 1.2
(.50 x .71) x 7 = 2.49
2.49 > 1.2

Exactly. That same type math work would most likely tell FU Not to punt from the 34 or whatever we did v Wofford. Heck assume you have two plays and run a draw on third and if you get even a yd or three definitely go for it.

That said it was early and all you know is what has occurred until that point so far. But even if you suspect low scoring … punting from the 34 was weird

Agree w Jackal I wonder where the quick kick / vs QB may run a play’ option has gone. That has value. Keeps the D up so no punt return or makes it 11 v 10 if they drop a punt return man. Very powerful weapon.

The one area we haven’t improved on is KOR PR. Woff got one on us.. I don’t think we have made midfield w a return yet? Earnest Q - Have we returned a KOR to the 50?
No idea why you would quote my post, use the leading word “Exactly,” and then proceed to relate a litany of disjointed thoughts that I perceive to be about Furman’s Coaches’ flawed, in your opinion, decision-making.

Your post has EXACTLY NO relationship, in any way, to anything that was contained within my post that you quoted.

If you can & would, please refrain from doing this in the future. It’s just odd & I’d prefer not to have the thoughts, ideas, and opinions in my posts co-mingled with your completely unrelated posts. THANKS!
 #44594  by FU3
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:46 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Don’t overthink it.

…and…

.40 x 3 = 1.2
(.50 x .71) x 7 = 2.49
2.49 > 1.2

This post is why I stick around gopaladins. :)
FUBeAR liked this
 #44596  by gofurman
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:42 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 pm
gofurman wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Don’t overthink it.

…and…

.40 x 3 = 1.2
(.50 x .71) x 7 = 2.49
2.49 > 1.2

No idea why you would quote my post, use the leading word “Exactly,” and then proceed to relate a litany of disjointed thoughts that I perceive to be about Furman’s Coaches’ flawed, in your opinion, decision-making.

Your post has EXACTLY NO relationship, in any way, to anything that was contained within my post that you quoted.

If you can & would, please refrain from doing this in the future. It’s just odd & I’d prefer not to have the thoughts, ideas, and opinions in my posts co-mingled with your completely unrelated posts. THANKS!
That’s fine. If I can remember. I’m getting old.

I will explain where my thinking was though. One, the “exactly “ was to your way of using basic math to see what to do - in this case you are saying the Citadel should go for TDs.

I was keeping a few threads of thought in mind concurrently. You had previously said “let’s not kick from the 34” (I think that was you at the tail end of a post.. I’ll go find it if I have time) and so I was saying - I grant that I probably didn’t articulate it well from my phone/brevity - the math would almost surely dictate that we Not kick from the 34 as we did.

I was just saying let’s use math like yours

FYI if you are criticizing me for saying the post is about coaches flawed decisions we’ll the huge irony is that the post is a copy - in large measure - of your own post from earlier… I’ll find it

It was post 44373 from you where it concluded with an asterisk in the thread "Post Wofford Game Thoughts on the first page as such:

Awesome game! So very proud of the Paladins!!!

Great jobs by Players & Coaches.

* One thing though. Can we all agree NEVER to punt on the opponents’ 34?

---
so, in summary, there was coorelation - unfortunately I did not make it clear. That's on me.

But the key of not punting from the 34 was word for word the very same as you said in 44373 (Post Wofford thoughts thread).. which, means you too were criticizing our coaches. AND THAT'S OK ! - they make mistakes.. and at that salary for the HC and they knew when they took the job they were accepting public criticism.
Last edited by gofurman on Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 #44597  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:45 pm
Context matters
gofurman liked this
 #44603  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:24 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:11 pm
Wow - that’s a pretty chipper dude for a Football Coach in the midst of another losing season, who has lost 61% of his games since he started playing with his own Players, and who has never led his Teams, over that tenure, to a higher than a 4th place SoCon finish with more than a few 6th & 7th place finishes mixed in. Maybe he and Woffy’s HC have put together a package deal to be OC & DC at UConn or UMass after this season.

Anyway, FUBeAR did enjoy the segment where he provided inside details about his wardrobe, and that of his predecessor. They can never be too fashion forward in Chucktown, I guess.

And, OMG, FUBeAR has never heard such whining about a kickoff time and traffic in a half century of following college Football. They have another weekly show with a couple of media guys and those 2 spent 20 minutes providing detailed analysis of the traffic patterns & construction zones on I-26, as did this riveting episode of bellhop Football. At least this show didn’t spend 15 minutes breaking down multiple conspiracy theories as to why FU wants to kickoff at the ungodly hour of 6 PM on Sat. The media duo landed on it being a blatant assault on the sleep health of their Cadet-Athletes as the nefarious motive behind such heinous skullduggery. Coach didn’t come out as supporting that theory or one of the many others they cooked up, but he did promise payback for Furman’s kickoff time crime against humanity. Whatever happened to, “Just put the ball down. We’ll show up & whip your a$$e&!”

Finally, if they mentioned that CIT had beaten FU the past 2 years once, they mentioned it a thousand times. They probably could have just put “Y’know, we’ve beaten Furman the past 2 years,” on a loop & spent the whole hour throwing back umbrella drinks at Big John’s Bar on East Bay Street. It’s owned by 3 Citadel graduates….sorry, FUBeAR heard that also said so many times in the 1hour video it’s like a freakin’ 70’s TV commercial jingle careening around his brain.

In summary…#BeatTheBellhops
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Affirm, hypercycloid liked this
 #44605  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:09 am
It was a weird conversation.

Thompson complained a lot about kickoff times. It appears that later kickoffs put the team back early in the morning and creates problems because the Citadel practices on Sunday and then takes Monday off.

He made the point to say they would return the favor to Furman by playing a night game in Charleston.

Of course, Thompson may have already forgotten that in his first year as Citadel's head coach (2016), Furman played at the Citadel and the opening kick off was . . . you guessed it: 6 p.m.
 #44609  by FUBeAR
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:01 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:09 am
It was a weird conversation.

Thompson complained a lot about kickoff times. It appears that later kickoffs put the team back early in the morning and creates problems because the Citadel practices on Sunday and then takes Monday off.

He made the point to say they would return the favor to Furman by playing a night game in Charleston.

Of course, Thompson may have already forgotten that in his first year as Citadel's head coach (2016), Furman played at the Citadel and the opening kick off was . . . you guessed it: 6 p.m.
Um…

Bellhop Football Schedule 2021

SEP 18 (SAT) 6 P.M. VS NORTH GREENVILLE

What in-the-name-of-Shannon-Faulkner is wrong with those candy-a$$e$?
FU69 liked this
 #44612  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:20 am
Watching the Bellhops coaches show > my take is Thompson for a few reasons comes off I guess brash is the word I'm trying to find. I have to also wonder how he comes off in a recruit's home - maybe his style and demeanor are what's needed to sell Citadel football??? Glad we have CCH!!!

Interesting rabbit hole Thompson went down related to recent Furman QBs from Jace to PJ. He called them similar (he described them as wiry, and they can scramble and throw).

Saturday will tell us a lot—number-wise Jace's performance as a rookie is tops when compared through PJ's first start. I do think Jace brings a few attributes that allow the Furman offense to be more difficult to handle.

Jace's shiftiness, and his ability to throw strikes on rollouts.
Calm demeanor and leadership beyond his years.
Advanced football IQ (we've always IMO had smart QBs) Jace in a way is like Tiger Woods. He's been coached by his father for many years. Jace said he has prepared since stepping foot on campus to start.

Last thing that has to concern Thompson and his defense. Jace played within the Furman offense against Wofford, but he showed the ability to make game-defining plays. He has the arm, the touch, and the legs to create explosive plays.
 #44613  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:31 am
AstroDin wrote:
Watching the Bellhops coaches show > my take is Thompson for a few reasons comes off I guess brash is the word I'm trying to find. I have to also wonder how he comes off in a recruit's home - maybe his style and demeanor are what's needed to sell Citadel football??? Glad we have CCH!!!
He's from New York.
 #44614  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:47 am
AstroDin wrote:

Interesting rabbit hole Thompson went down related to recent Furman QBs from Jace to PJ. He called them similar (he described them as wiry, and they can scramble and throw).

Saturday will tell us a lot—number-wise Jace's performance as a rookie is tops when compared through PJ's first start. I do think Jace brings a few attributes that allow the Furman offense to be more difficult to handle.

Jace's shiftiness, and his ability to throw strikes on rollouts.
Calm demeanor and leadership beyond his years.
Advanced football IQ (we've always IMO had smart QBs) Jace in a way is like Tiger Woods. He's been coached by his father for many years. Jace said he has prepared since stepping foot on campus to start.

Last thing that has to concern Thompson and his defense. Jace played within the Furman offense against Wofford, but he showed the ability to make game-defining plays. He has the arm, the touch, and the legs to create explosive plays.

There is a 100% likelihood that Citadel is going to throw the kitchen sink at Wilson. They will try to confuse him. They will try to make him throw the ball into tight windows. They are going to play a lot of zone and keep eyes on him. I expect they will spy him. They'll blitz from odd places. It's all coming.

Coach Thompson, for whatever reason, has found a lot of success scheming up confusion against Furman's young quarterbacks. He did it to Blazejowski. He did it to Grainger. He did it to Sisson. He'll try to do it to Wilson.

For Furman's part, they are going to have to stay out of predictable passing situations. Take risks when the odds favor you, but maintain possession.

The one difference in Coach Thompson's Blazejowski experience is who else is in the backfield with the QB. In 2016, when El Cid harried Blazejowski all night, the Paladins second leading rusher (behind PJ) was Richard Hays with 19 yards. The Bulldogs are going to have a very different problem against this Furman team with Wynn/Anderson/Abrams/Roberto.

As you heard coach say on his show, they are working hard to stop the run. Everything the Citadel is going to want to do defensively is going to begin and end with not letting Devin Wynn do what he did last week. Furman, of course, needs to force the issue.

The Citadel is an underdog. They are on the road. It's a night game. The corps will be there. They'll be chippy. They'll be in our faces. This is a HUGE game for them. We have to expect it. We have to counter it. We need to play angry like we did against Wofford.

Wilson strikes me as a kid that's not easily rattled. That's great. However, we are going to need our backs and offensive line to put this one on their shoulders.
 #44620  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:40 pm
Liked what ETSU was doing here.

The Citadel wants to stop the run, and ETSU invites them to do it. I formation with two TEs and a WR.

This is a fullback run for a touchdown. Watch the Bucs LT and LG just decimate the Citadel defensive right. They put a pile of 3 or 4 Bulldog defenders on their backs about 5 yards downfield. Hard to play defense on your butt.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.