• Backup QB

#43779  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:32 pm
Just watched the CCH post game presser. He made it pretty clear that Shiflett is not in the mix. It’s between Wilson and Sisson. See how the next 3 games go and if they go bad as expected they could still redshirt Wilson.
 #43780  by Thorny
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:39 pm
I think my patience is kind of low because we got worse as the year went on this Spring.
apaladin, FU69 liked this
 #43781  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:44 pm
Thorny wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:39 pm
I think my patience is kind of low because we got worse as the year went on this Spring.
Yep one other thing CCH said was the defense was on the field for only 9 and a half minutes in the first half and gave up 21 points. :shock:
 #43784  by curiousfan
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:12 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:18 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:36 pm
Guess we will never know the reason HS was chosen over DG but based on performance on the field it was a mistake. Oh well , that is way behind us now. A sadder thing would be to make the same mistake again.
HS was not chosen over DG. DG had issues that caused him to have to leave Furman.
This is DEFINITELY 100% inaccurate... I spoke with the DG (directly) and members of his family...."Issues" did not cause him to leave FU....but what I will say is, prior to the team departing for Winter Break, HS was named team captain while they were in the middle of a QB competition......Do with that information what you may!!!! DG may or may not have had some issues BUT, the handling of that competition (may have been the trigger).
 #43785  by curiousfan
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:21 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:18 pm
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:36 pm
Guess we will never know the reason HS was chosen over DG but based on performance on the field it was a mistake. Oh well , that is way behind us now. A sadder thing would be to make the same mistake again.
HS was not chosen over DG. DG had issues that caused him to have to leave Furman.
This is DEFINITELY 100% NOT accurate... I spoke with the DG (directly) and members of his family...."Issues" did not cause him to leave FU....but what I will say is, prior to the team departing for Winter Break, HS was named team captain while they were in the middle of a QB competition......Do with that information what you may!!!! DG may or may not have had some issues BUT, the handling of that competition (may have been the trigger).
 #43787  by MNORM
 Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:43 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:18 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:40 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:35 pm
Many keep bringing up Grainger. Let’s not forget that he played lights out for a couple of games, then all of a sudden stunk up the place. I wish he could have hung around at Furman, but there is a reason he moved on. I wish him well at Georgia State.
What I'm trying to highlight is that GSU is using him differently than Furman did. They aren't asking him to run the full offense. They are taking what he does well, and running the offense around that. They aren't asking him to do a lot of the things he's not as good at.

Fit the offense to the player, not the opposite.

If Furman opts to go with Wilson, find what he does well and run the offense that highlights that.
Agree and we could do the same with HS if we wanted to. In the first game he had passes he could complete. The short pass to Miller for the 87 yd TD for example. Have we seen that play again? The post to Harris for a TD. Have we seen that play again? HS is not equipped to throw deep to the opposite side of the field like yesterday. Those are difficult to complete with any QB. Just waisting downs. Memo to Quarles, the sideline is a defender that can’t be blocked. How many times did we have 2nd and 9 yesterday because we can’t run the ball up the middle? We won’t see a change at starting QB until we have at least 3 SoCon losses which should be soon.
Multiple times a game. It's an RPO. Either HS isn't making the correct read or he is, and is handing the ball off.
 #43807  by FUpaladin08
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:13 am
Say what you Will about the QB play (and it’s all warranted), but my concern is with the running game. That is the identity of this team and they have not been able to effectively run in four games. Wynn has yet to top 100 yards in a game and as a team the rushing yards have never exceeded the passing yards. It doesn’t matter who is at QB if the offense can’t run the ball. Nothing will get better until the O-Line can exert its will on opposing defenses.
bj93, Davemeister, MNORM liked this
 #43808  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:25 am
Excellent point. The title of Devin Wynn’s biography should be “Nowhere To Run”.
 #43809  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:14 am
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:13 am
Say what you Will about the QB play (and it’s all warranted), but my concern is with the running game. That is the identity of this team and they have not been able to effectively run in four games. Wynn has yet to top 100 yards in a game and as a team the rushing yards have never exceeded the passing yards. It doesn’t matter who is at QB if the offense can’t run the ball. Nothing will get better until the O-Line can exert its will on opposing defenses.
True. No doubt. The OL SHOULD be better - and that was a hope w CCH getting more involved there. I think we are slightly better on OL than in the spring when we were getting sacked and hit for so many running losses. But we are not good enough yet by any measure.

However, a few good passes could really open the running game. As others have noted ..the book on Furman ( and it works) is stuff the box and make us hit enough passes. We just haven’t gotten that done consistently vs SoCon competition yet. Vs TTU, sure. NCAT is a decent win but regardless we HAVE to have one of the two - 1). completions to back a D off -or- an 2. OL that exerts its will. I don’t think we quite have enough bullies on OL to do the latter. If we could make the former happen the running game would improve. The OL would look better etc.

Play calling needs to improve. And I hate to say this but I think we at least need to mix Jace into the QB equation for several series a game already. Spring and APeay playoff we got smoked and now Mercer. It ain’t random. Doing the same thing and expecting a different result …
 #43817  by AstroDin
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:47 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:38 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:19 pm
not sure this help the meltdown… here is video of incoming QB commit Carson Jones.
He's having a helluva year;
That’s good but I’m a little suspicious of the whole Maryville thing.
I'll call BS on your whole Maryville comment. Maryville has already beaten the three big teams that were supposed to be the top competition in the state. They don't run a gimmick offense. Jones plays smart, tough, has an accurate arm, and he can run. We're lucky to have him.
 #43820  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:53 am
Can’t be skeptical anymore, huh? Just saying that we have a guy who was heralded as a genius because he won so many games at where? Maryville. Coaching that worked there clearly does not work in the SoCon. That is settled science. So I see no reason to believe that quarterback play that wins there is A LOCK to work in the SoCon. Maybe, maybe not. But he’s just gonna sit behind Wilson anyway, right?
 #43822  by youwouldno
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:59 am
I don't see any reason to think the identity of the QB is really that important, in the absence of a competent overall offense. I doubt the Paladins would be contenders even with Josh Allen at QB.
 #43823  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:16 am
I'm not an expert, but this is just my take.

If we are going to run a lot of the pistol/twoback/option/read stuff, having a QB that adds a rushing dynamic would help.

If we opt not to do that, maybe going back under center and using the traditional I formation/single back makes sense.
bj93 liked this
 #43824  by FU3
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:32 am
Well since we are spit balling. How about we turn over the OC / play calling responsibilities to BB and move GQ upstairs to the role he had in season one with Cronic. We have a bye week and then play the 2 worst teams in the conference.. can change a good deal in that time frame.
 #43828  by furmandad
 Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:58 pm
Re: running game, not a lot of room to run, but let's stop believing we have anyone in our backfield that can play at the next level. ap/gf - check your PM. :D
gofurman liked this