• Status of Furman Football on 3/20/21

#39089  by Furmanoid
 Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:00 am
Thorny wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:49 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thorny wrote:
Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:29 am
I'll agree that Clemson is harder to get into at this point. I will not agree that Clemson is the harder school of the two.
Way back I put harder school in quotes because that is pretty impossible to determine. Most people think hard to get in = hard but that isn’t true. I know a girl at Dartmouth who just goofs off and enjoys life.

And a hard school doesn’t necessarily give one a better education. They can be hard because the prof’s suck. I had a Chemistry prof at FU who didn’t speak English. That was hard alright, but I didn’t learn much.

Majors matter too. There is nothing at FU as hard as Clemson’s Chem E or EE, but for lots of other stuff FU is probably harder.

The point is that Clemson is certainly on the same academic level as FU, but I’m pretty sure their admissions office cuts athletes some slack, and those athletes graduate.

At FU athletes may even be at a disadvantage compared to rich nonathletes because they are forced to take SAT’s. A player from here was told he had to make a certain score on the SAT (above the ncaa clearinghouse min) while I interviewed private school kids who didn’t even have to take the thing. Go figure.

Maybe there is no problem with recruiting. But dang, if recruiting is good and coaches are good and nobody’s hurt or sick, and refs are giving us silly favorable treatment, what’s the problem?
I'm going to blame the coaches but I have faith that they are competent enough to fix things as well. I don't have the same feelings about our fan base and know that we could beat Clemson and some on here would still be claiming the sky is falling.

/The fact that CCH et al. could do so much with so little their first year and now, despite winning games, at times the offense looks absolutely impotent is beyond me.
The sky isn’t falling. It’s just stuck where it has been for 10-15 years. The coaches may be able to fix it, but they have to have the humility to scrap their original offensive vision and come up with something our guys can execute. It will actually be kind of fun to see what they do. One thing I’d consider is sitting several OL guys and using the spring to get the younger, more promising ones ready for Fall. If senior OL guys are underperforming, I might leave grad school literature by their doors.
apaladin, MNORM liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by gofurman

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:26 am

User avatar TV

by apaladin

Sat Sep 21, 2024 2:08 am

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.