• FCS Final

#23954  by gofurman
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:40 am
sluggo wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 am
How do people fix problems that the simply don't want to hear?

Answer : They don't.
Unfortunately, this does happen at Furman.. I have seen it in one area of recruiting and was told it was best not to post what occurred. We do stick our heads in the sand from time to time which amazes me. Not looking or addressing a problem is the best way to make sure we continue to have the issue...
 #23960  by Davemeister
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 am
What happened at QB was that our coaches decided we had two players better suited to play that position than the one who transferred.
 #23961  by fufanatic
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:38 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:05 pm
MNORM wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:51 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am
Even with the Richardson money, Wofford is not nearly as well funded as Furman. It is not close.
Well, I guess a lot of our funding must go to sports other than FB and basketball - sports in which Wofford is much more competitive against us than they should be if our funding in those is even equal to Wofford’s, not to mention is ours is far better funding.
Pick your poison. We consistently beat Wofford in the Commissioner's and Germann Cups. Wofford spends all their resources on two sports...and it shows. What do you prefer we do? Aside from joining the Pioneer......
Do well in both those Cups AND beat Wofford more than we do now in FB and in basketball. But IF necessary to pick, then I’m OK losing to Wofford in FB and basketball as long as we always do better than Wofford in both those Cups.
If all the sports received equal coverage and attention nationally and if I loved all the sports equally, then yes. I would rather win both cups that win games in just two sports. But that's not the way the world or my mind works. I am most passionate about football and men's hoops, so I would prefer to win more than we lose in those two sports against a big rival.
FUBeAR liked this
 #23963  by sluggo
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 am
Davemeister wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:06 am
What happened at QB was that our coaches decided we had two players better suited to play that position than the one who transferred.
Here's what other people thought about it :
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:48 pm
Passing game - Grainger has some nice passing games early in the season, but we really regressed. I'm not sure if Grainger or Sisson are the answer. Maybe Shiflet deserves another look, or heck, maybe even Hardin. Something needs to give here. Check the transfer portal - Martin and Forcier both turned out to be excellent QB's - should consider this option.
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:26 pm
Paladin91, Agree with everything you say. In these days you have to be able to throw the football. We are deficient in all areas of the passing game. Throwing, catching, protection. We do none of thesewell.....

Of course having a veteran QB helps a lot. I have no idea who will be the leader of the team next year but we need for someone to step up.
apaladin wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:54 pm
OK so we continue the 2 QB rotation. If not who gets the start. Didn't really see anything to separate them today. Both were 3-5 passing with Grainger throwing the one TD but Sisson tripled him in yards. Grainger did have the one turnover. I don't think CCH likes the 2 man rotation so it may come down to who has the best week in practice.
purplehorse wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:09 pm
Don’t know but we need the Georgia State Darren Grainger or the UTC Hamp Sisson to show up in the playoffs. If that happens I believe the “good” Furman team will show up and can win a few games.

WE HAVE TO HAVE A BALANCED OFFENSE.
AlValonge wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:48 pm
The old saying is that if you have 2 QB's then you don't have 1 QB. I don't totally agree that this necessarily applies in our case; however, we need one of our QB's to lock down the position and continue to improve into next year. We have 2 good players, but we can't have the inconsistency that we have had this year if we expect to make some noise next year. A lot of Woffy's recent success was because that QB was there for about 8.5 years.... GO FU!!
fufanatic wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:16 pm
Think you have to go Sisson, right? Maybe try to work in Grainger at times to try to start getting his confidence back? He obviously has a ton of potential. But today we finally saw why the coaches said that it was a close battle in camp. Sisson was brilliant. Solid passing and phenomenal with his legs. Very happy we have two guys that could be great long term.
etc.....

I could post a lot more quotes but I left the mean ones out.
 #23968  by Affirm
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:02 pm
fufanatic wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:38 am
affirm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:05 pm
MNORM wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:36 pm
affirm wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:51 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:38 am
Even with the Richardson money, Wofford is not nearly as well funded as Furman. It is not close.
Well, I guess a lot of our funding must go to sports other than FB and basketball - sports in which Wofford is much more competitive against us than they should be if our funding in those is even equal to Wofford’s, not to mention is ours is far better funding.
Pick your poison. We consistently beat Wofford in the Commissioner's and Germann Cups. Wofford spends all their resources on two sports...and it shows. What do you prefer we do? Aside from joining the Pioneer......
Do well in both those Cups AND beat Wofford more than we do now in FB and in basketball. But IF necessary to pick, then I’m OK losing to Wofford in FB and basketball as long as we always do better than Wofford in both those Cups.
If all the sports received equal coverage and attention nationally and if I loved all the sports equally, then yes. I would rather win both cups that win games in just two sports. But that's not the way the world or my mind works. I am most passionate about football and men's hoops, so I would prefer to win more than we lose in those two sports against a big rival.
That appears to be the way Wofford sees it. I don’t agree with their or your or the world’s philosophy.
 #23971  by apaladin
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:55 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:11 pm
NDSU has made FCS football a joke btw, nbodoy cares about a division where a team wins 8 of 9 titles, just a bad look for FCS all around when one team completely dominates for a decade
Well, maybe not. The championship game got the highest ratings ever with 2.7 million viewers.
 #23972  by sluggo
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:08 pm
gofurman wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:40 am
sluggo wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:35 am
How do people fix problems that the simply don't want to hear?

Answer : They don't.
Unfortunately, this does happen at Furman.. I have seen it in one area of recruiting and was told it was best not to post what occurred. We do stick our heads in the sand from time to time which amazes me. Not looking or addressing a problem is the best way to make sure we continue to have the issue...
I'm just saying that a QB hates getting into a school and then finding out they are now a WR.
Of all the positions to be switched from, switching from QB is the biggest bummer.
Jasper liked this
 #23975  by Yadkin
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:07 pm
Geez, Louise all this droning on about QBs being switched to WRs, like it's a plural situation at FU? Are you talking about the WR transfer from MTSU who came here and played WR for a couple of games before being sidelined due to injury? Was he supposed to move back to QB (after having not played it in 2018) and, in the span of a three-week preseason, beat out two QBs who'd put in a year in the system here? And what's the deal with JeMar Lincoln? Solid guy and athlete, but apparently he was so in demand at QB he transferred from Furman and out of the sport of football altogether. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of overlooked or misued talent. Too many folks run down a current quarterback(s) in break-neck fashion to get to the next guy in line.
fufanatic, DeepPurple liked this
 #23981  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:11 pm
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:55 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:11 pm
NDSU has made FCS football a joke btw, nbodoy cares about a division where a team wins 8 of 9 titles, just a bad look for FCS all around when one team completely dominates for a decade
Well, maybe not. The championship game got the highest ratings ever with 2.7 million viewers.
That's because it was on ABC instead of ESPN
Jasper liked this
 #24008  by Jasper
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:45 am
Yadkin wrote:
Geez, Louise all this droning on about QBs being switched to WRs, like it's a plural situation at FU? Are you talking about the WR transfer from MTSU who came here and played WR for a couple of games before being sidelined due to injury? Was he supposed to move back to QB (after having not played it in 2018) and, in the span of a three-week preseason, beat out two QBs who'd put in a year in the system here? And what's the deal with JeMar Lincoln? Solid guy and athlete, but apparently he was so in demand at QB he transferred from Furman and out of the sport of football altogether. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of overlooked or misued talent. Too many folks run down a current quarterback(s) in break-neck fashion to get to the next guy in line.
BTW, I notice that Luke Shiflett, the MTSU transfer you refer to, is again listed on the roster at QB. He was clearly very rusty and in need of college level coaching when he came in last year but he is a very good athlete and the staff tried to use him as a wideout before he was hurt. Now it looks like they are working with him once again at QB. We will know better when 'spring" practices start in a few weeks.
Affirm liked this
 #24009  by AstroDin
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:54 am
Jasper wrote:
Yadkin wrote:

BTW, I notice that Luke Shiflett, the MTSU transfer you refer to, is again listed on the roster at QB. He was clearly very rusty and in need of college level coaching when he came in last year but he is a very good athlete and the staff tried to use him as a wideout before he was hurt. Now it looks like they are working with him once again at QB. We will know better when 'spring" practices start in a few weeks.
Getting Noah Henderson in camp and participating in spring could have played a role here. Shiflett is a heckuva talent. Another thing he's got going for him is his size 6-2 205. I hope we do see a QB battle in the spring and maybe someone separates themself.

Back to Henderson, I wonder if he was a fit in what Healy is trying to do at Charlotte? it doesn't really matter why Noah left. Getting players like Henderson are a big step towards competing against the Bison and the Dukes.
FUKA61, Jasper, MNORM liked this
 #24015  by fufanatic
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:34 am
Jasper wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
I'm really curious to hear how the QB battle plays out in the spring. We have what appears to be 3 solid choices, with 2 being capable of playing multiple positions (although Sisson could make the case for FB after the UTC push). I hope that Granger and/or Shiflett's athletic ability won't be wasted standing on the sideline as the backup QB. We need to get our best players on the field in whatever capacity that may be. I trust our coaches to figure out how that might look.
 #24022  by sluggo
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:54 am
Yadkin wrote:
Yeah, winning a game doesn't count for much.
3 TDs rushing, 140 yrds passing against a team we lost to this year.
Real stats don't count; theories about players count.
</sarcasm>

https://www.espn.com/college-football/b ... =401030269

LOL!
 #24023  by Yadkin
 Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:03 pm
And JL was so good, where is he now? Playing what sport?

What do Hendrix and Quarles know about winning football and evaluating talent? Couple of rookies.

Keep up your one-man comedy show and laugh factory.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.