• Playoffs Today

#22898  by tya1
 Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:54 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:32 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:23 pm
APSU having their a** handed to them now. Getting a lesson in smashmouth football.
I mean, three games in a row and two cross country flights to play one of the nation's best teams in Montana will have an effect.

APSU had a heckuva season. We aren't going to fill our rosters with transfer players, though. We have to do it the old fashioned way.

Incidentally, the big NG that APSU couldn't block is a transfer from Washington. He's listed at 6'6 300.
I didn't see any of the game but it was interesting to see the final stats. APSU had about the same 200 yards of passing as they did against the Paladins but were held to 0 yards rushing for the game. Amazing number for any game, much less a playoff game.
 #22984  by gofurman
 Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:09 pm
tya1 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:
APSU having their a** handed to them now. Getting a lesson in smashmouth football.
I mean, three games in a row and two cross country flights to play one of the nation's best teams in Montana will have an effect.

APSU had a heckuva season. We aren't going to fill our rosters with transfer players, though. We have to do it the old fashioned way.

Incidentally, the big NG that APSU couldn't block is a transfer from Washington. He's listed at 6'6 300.
I didn't see any of the game but it was interesting to see the final stats. APSU had about the same 200 yards of passing as they did against the Paladins but were held to 0 yards rushing for the game. Amazing number for any game, much less a playoff game.
You got that right. I will say that holding APy to ZERO yards (maybe 10?) whatever .. in rushing truly AMAZED me. I didn't think anyone could do that.

Summary - I think AP was underrated as they knocked off a seeded team on the road so that made me feel somewhat better ... but then seeing them held to NO YARDS RUSHING was a little deflating. Plane flight or no, we were never gonna hold that AP team to zero yards rushing .. EVER. Not on our best day. Oh where is Staggs when you need him...
 #22992  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:38 am
DungeonRealm wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:50 pm
Funny to see a bunch of empty seats in the endzones and top corners at NDSU, they can't even sellout anymore, looking like their fan base is slowly getting bored in FCS. Hopefully they find the money soon to upgrade the Fargo dome and go FBS.

Will be healthy overall for FCS to get rid of NDSU
True but they had just played the same team and beat them 31-7. Attendance is down everywhere. Even Clempson hasnt had a sellot in 2 years. Did you see all the empty seats at the Army/Navy game?
 #23001  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:15 am
tya1 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Here are highlights:

The most notable difference between Montana State and Furman is the defensive line. That's not shocking. It has long been my opinion that the greatest disparity between any football programs usually comes along that defensive front. That is the most difficult area for any FCS team to recruit.

So, two things stand out. One is to see if you can locate MSU's Amandre Williams (#96) on every snap. He's listed at 6'2 235 and he plays all over the place - outside, inside, on his feet, hand in the ground. He's their best defensive player and an offense has to account for where he is every snap and he's rarely in the same spot.

Second thing, a number of MSU's top defensive players are transfers from Washington. They are excellent players, but, again, I don't know if Furman is going to (or could) go that route with regularity.
 #23002  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:28 am
Follow up thought:

I'm overgeneralizing here, because I don't pull apart every play. However, one thing I think you see with a team like Montana State is some outside-the-box thinking with their better defenders.

Furman, defensively, tends to be predictable. Certain guys in certain packages. Our "Bandit" and "Spur" always playing opposite one another. Teams can scheme against that because they know where the pieces are likely going to be on the board.

What if we were to be unpredictable? Why not move Adrian Hope around? Dru Seabrook? Is it better to have Hope always rushing from the outside, or would it be useful to have him blitzing from the defensive backfield? Seabrook is 242 lbs - how would an offense counter him lining up at ILB and running downhill?

Of course, you can get creative on defense when you have a guy that can control multiple blockers inside.
 #23006  by Davemeister
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:47 am
We should adopt Montana State's game plan next time we face APSU.
 #23014  by fufanatic
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:29 am
The Jackal wrote:
tya1 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Second thing, a number of MSU's top defensive players are transfers from Washington. They are excellent players, but, again, I don't know if Furman is going to (or could) go that route with regularity.
I guess the question that has to be asked is ... can a team win consistently at a high level in FCS in this era without having some beasts that come from FBS, especially on the dline? And if that's not something that's going to fit Furman's style, then how do we overcome that? I personally feel like we should be checking the transfer portal daily for guys from high academic schools that didn't get a lot of playing time ... Duke, Notre Dame, Vandy, Stanford, Wake Forest, Rice, etc. There has to be a few guys that could help us immediately.
 #23018  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:15 pm
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
tya1 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

I guess the question that has to be asked is ... can a team win consistently at a high level in FCS in this era without having some beasts that come from FBS, especially on the dline? And if that's not something that's going to fit Furman's style, then how do we overcome that? I personally feel like we should be checking the transfer portal daily for guys from high academic schools that didn't get a lot of playing time ... Duke, Notre Dame, Vandy, Stanford, Wake Forest, Rice, etc. There has to be a few guys that could help us immediately.
Yes, they can.

There are plenty of good defensive linemen in the SoCon. In fact, just last year, there were three absolute studs up front (Isaiah Mack, Ahmad Gooden, Miles Brown). All three of those guys are currently on NFL rosters. If Wofford and Samford can recruit guys like that, so can Furman.
 #23022  by fufanatic
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:13 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:15 pm
fufanatic wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
tya1 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

Yes, they can.

There are plenty of good defensive linemen in the SoCon. In fact, just last year, there were three absolute studs up front (Isaiah Mack, Ahmad Gooden, Miles Brown). All three of those guys are currently on NFL rosters. If Wofford and Samford can recruit guys like that, so can Furman.
I agree, but we've also said in this very same thread that Furman can't get in guys that Wofford and Samford get in. So either that's a factor or it's not.
 #23030  by soconjohn
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:12 pm
To me the disparity and the power of the FCS is in states where the lone Division I schools are FCS....It’s more of a demographics disparity....When you’re not competing against the SEC or ACC or even Sun Belt for recruits it’s not a fair fight...There are far less football conferences west of the Mississippi
MNORM liked this
 #23031  by gman
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:35 pm
soconjohn wrote:
To me the disparity and the power of the FCS is in states where the lone Division I schools are FCS....It’s more of a demographics disparity....When you’re not competing against the SEC or ACC or even Sun Belt for recruits it’s not a fair fight...There are far less football conferences west of the Mississippi
Aren’t there less potential recruits to choose from in those states? If so, wouldn’t that even things out?
 #23039  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:38 pm
gman wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:35 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Aren’t there less potential recruits to choose from in those states? If so, wouldn’t that even things out?
There are, I think, 11 D1 football programs in California with approximately 35 million people. There are 9 D1 programs in South Carolina with around 4 million people.

It complicates things, but Furman has a strong product to sell.
 #23043  by FUPlayer74
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:32 pm
gofurman wrote:
tya1 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

You got that right. I will say that holding APy to ZERO yards (maybe 10?) whatever .. in rushing truly AMAZED me. I didn't think anyone could do that.

Summary - I think AP was underrated as they knocked off a seeded team on the road so that made me feel somewhat better ... but then seeing them held to NO YARDS RUSHING was a little deflating. Plane flight or no, we were never gonna hold that AP team to zero yards rushing .. EVER. Not on our best day. Oh where is Staggs when you need him...
GF, probably a good time this off season to get over the fact that Staggs is gone. I'm not sure he was all that. I mean I miss Ingle Martin, but I've moved on.
MNORM liked this
 #23044  by FUBeAR
 Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:56 pm
FUPlayer74 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:32 pm
gofurman wrote:
tya1 wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FurmAlum wrote:

GF, probably a good time this off season to get over the fact that Staggs is gone. I'm not sure he was all that. I mean I miss Ingle Martin, but I've moved on.
I feel ya, 74. While many here are lamenting the potential loss of Atkins, I’m just now recovering from Paul Stombaugh finishing up his eligibility for the ‘Dins.
 #23050  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:23 am
Staggs is a good coach, but by a lot of metrics our defense was better this year than it was last year.

Recent Topics

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:54 pm

User avatar Former Trump Cabinet Member Gone Without A Trace?

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 11:53 pm

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.