• SAMFORD GAMEDAY

#18077  by FurmAlum
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:29 pm
We left no doubt! Total domination. What a performance!!!

Loved that 4th down conversion in 4th Q. In your face Sammy!!!
Davemeister liked this
 #18078  by gofurman
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:33 pm
I will continue to worry every week like I did v Mercer and Samford. my fault I did not v ETSU.. LOL
 #18079  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:36 pm
VMI beats Citadel 34-21
WCU loses to GW on a last second FG. Gave up a 15 yd run with 5 seconds left to set up the FG. They are awful.
UTC taking control at Mercer
WC 35 ETSU 17
 #18080  by gofurman
apaladin wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:24 pm
Best game we've had in years. Congrats to the team and coaches. FYI Grainger was 6-9 and 4 TD's. We need to throw the ball more, LOL.
I thought of you on that AP. I know PaulC had a good laugh at me on that one (fair enough) but that's what Jackal and I were saying (though this was OL domination!). It's the COMPLETIONS within the passes, though we owned them and coulda won without throwing.. just by less
 #18081  by youwouldno
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:37 pm
The thing about Samford is that their defense is just awful - Tenn Tech had 671 yards against them - but their offense has weapons and can be dangerous. After a rough first Samford possession, the Paladins defense did a great job . . . I think the play of the defense and the team's overall composure and execution were the most impressive aspects. And for the offense, getting back on track after a rough game against ETSU.
Jasper liked this
 #18083  by cavedweller2
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
VMI beats Citadel 34-21
WCU loses to GW on a last second FG. Gave up a 15 yd run with 5 seconds left to set up the FG. They are awful.
UTC taking control at Mercer
WC 35 ETSU 17
Watched (tortured myself) VMI/bellhops while listening to Paladins. Both are bad. And slow. Though VMI did beat ETSU.

Gardner Webb loves to beat the SoCon. They will be primed for our Bball trip up there.

UTC/Mercer. "You take Sally, I'll take Sue."

WC. Lost to SCState and Samford. We beat them by 20 last year.
 #18105  by FUBeAR
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:41 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:52 am
Noble Knights 45
Alabama Trailer Park Denizen 22
My deepest apologies to Coach Hendrix, every member of the Coaching Staff, and each & every Player on the Furman roster. I am deeply embarrassed to have underestimated you so greatly. It will NOT happen again!
Bootie, Paladin82 liked this
 #18111  by apaladin
 Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:15 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:37 pm
The thing about Samford is that their defense is just awful - Tenn Tech had 671 yards against them - but their offense has weapons and can be dangerous. After a rough first Samford possession, the Paladins defense did a great job . . . I think the play of the defense and the team's overall composure and execution were the most impressive aspects. And for the offense, getting back on track after a rough game against ETSU.
Well, one positive is they did hold WC to 14.
 #18118  by Flagman
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:09 am
Props to Samford for providing free iced water to the fans on a particularly HOY day.
Paladin82, FUBeAR, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #18122  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 am
This is some sort of throw by Grainger and route by Gordon. Samford has two men on Gordon and Grainger fits it right between them at the pylon from 30+ yards out.

I particularly like one of the Samford DBs turning as if to say "what just happened?"
AstroDin liked this
 #18125  by The Jackal
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:10 am
A couple of post game musings:

1. Furman held Samford right around their average rushing output. They typically run the ball around 30-35 times for 135-140 yards. They ran 33 times for 142 (with a long of 49).

2. The Paladin D held Samford well under their normal passing output. The defense surrendered 200 yards in the air, which was Samford's lowest mark of the season. Their longest pass was 18 yards, which was by far their least explosive passing day (they'll usually hit at least one 60-70 yard pass). From what I could see, our defense basically turned Samford into a dink and dunk passing game with high percentage/low yard tunnel screens.

This is as good a defensive backfield as we've had in years. Blackshear and Chizik are going to be fun to watch the next few years - they play physical and with some swagger. Having Kearse, Weems, Trapp, Blackshear, and Chizik against a team wanting to air it out was a luxury.

3. Only Youngstown State (327) held Samford to fewer yards than Furman (342).

4. I don't need to belabor the point with the offense. Samford ran into a buzzsaw.

5. We held Samford to 35.7% on third downs. Their lowest mark of the season since the YSU game.

6. No turnovers, 9-14 on 3rd down, 4-4 in the redzone. That'll do.

7. A 4:13 drive that went 10 plays and 75 yards for a touchdown before half time was a backbreaker. That's how you close out a half.

8. Great time for a bye week. We've survived the toughest part of the schedule, should be favored every game here out, and it sets up a big one with Wofford at the end of the season.
AstroDin, FUKA61 liked this
 #18127  by FUKA61
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 am
DG had a great day but there was one play that I hope someone can show a clip. It was third down and long and DG dropped back to pass under a heavy rush--a Samford player was swinging his arm at DG and he dipped his shoulder and missed being tackled and then instantly threw a bullet for a first down.
 #18128  by AstroDin
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:33 am
FUKA61 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 am
DG had a great day but there was one play that I hope someone can show a clip. It was third down and long and DG dropped back to pass under a heavy rush--a Samford player was swinging his arm at DG and he dipped his shoulder and missed being tackled and then instantly threw a bullet for a first down.
not sure this is the clip but this was a similar play for a TD.
 #18130  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:44 am
What a win. 99% perfect. Only issues I saw (and all three Peeps I PMagreed) was a little secondary tackling and more that Grainger ran a keeper so late with game in hand. Two things can happen there on keeper - Grainger can get hurt (it shouldn’t take him coming up gimpy to make coaches realize time to pull him but it did take that) and Sisson should get more meaningful reps in that kinda blowout - gonna need him ready maybe