• Mercer Gameday!

#6404  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:52 pm
To say Mo has swung is an understatement. O looks totally different. Mercer is fired up now. We are on our heels all in 50 seconds.
 #6405  by Paladin91
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:55 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:51 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:49 pm
Ouch! Season over. Good second half run though this season.
I'll wait for the selection committee.
I hope we do, but I think odds are stacked against us, especially with one less game.
 #6406  by youwouldno
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:57 pm
The SoCon is weaker than it used to be, that's an objective fact. Pick any possible measure and the conclusion is obvious.

The only reason Furman has the slightest chance is because of the lag between the actual fall and everyone else realizing the extent of it.
 #6407  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:59 pm
youwouldno wrote:
The SoCon is weaker than it used to be, that's an objective fact. Pick any possible measure and the conclusion is obvious.

The only reason Furman has the slightest chance is because of the lag between the actual fall and everyone else realizing the extent of it.
Go look around the country and find five really dominant teams on the level of Furman/App/GSU from 15 years ago.

NDSU is the only one. I have a lot of reasons why that is, but this is not just a SoCon thing. It's an everywhere in the country thing.
 #6409  by youwouldno
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:03 pm
The Jackal wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

Go look around the country and find five really dominant teams on the level of Furman/App/GSU from 15 years ago.

NDSU is the only one. I have a lot of reasons why that is, but this is not just a SoCon thing. It's an everywhere in the country thing.
Conference strength is not just about elite teams. Way more than just elite teams make the playoffs.

Top to bottom, the SoCon is weaker, compared to the rest of FCS, than it used to be. End of story. Ultimately, that means less playoff spots will go to SoCon teams, because fewer SoCon teams deserve it.
 #6410  by Paladin91
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
youwouldno wrote:

One reason is the emergence of some new football schools that have pulled quality athletes that Furman once had first dibs on - GA State and Kennesaw State are just a couple that have pulled away quality players that might have typically gone to Furman and other SOCON schools.
 #6411  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:06 pm
I'm not going to debate the narrative arc of SoCon football. It distracts from my enjoyment of the game.

Devin Wynn is having a Louis Ivory sort of game to this point.
 #6413  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:16 pm
Great drive!! Took all day on the blocked XP. Time for the defense to step up.
 #6415  by gman
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:21 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:19 pm
Furman vs Villanova on FS2.
Yes. Going back and forth between rooms to watch both games. BB looking good so far.
 #6416  by JohnW
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:30 pm
Still a chance at a SoCon title. Plenty to play for and an at-large bid not out of the question.
 #6417  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Florida A&M loses. That's a big result for bubble teams as NC A&T wins the MEAC and will skip the FCS playoffs.
 #6419  by apaladin
 Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:34 pm
Oh no!! They changed QB's. Remember last time a team did this?