• SoCon Week 0/1

#74579  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:10 am
Seeing as how Jacksonville State won today I suspect ETSU does take a loss in that one that is coming up
 #74580  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:22 am
Also, Mercer had a Vegas line of 23.5 .. some kinks to work out but I was surprised at how well UNA kept the two WRs in check. It worked for the most part when you only score 17 points. UNA didn't have a problem holding Mercer's O in check from what I saw.. (about one half). They just couldn't move the ball against Mercer - kudos to the Mercer D !

That said, I can only pray that Mercer runs that much against us. I still trust our front 7 more than the DBs.. Hell, Wofford threw all over us for a quarter. A lot more variance when a ball is in the air. Today Mercer ran 70 plays of which 53 were rushes! Seems a little on the high side when you have Harper and James who are scary.

Anyway, glad Mercer won - go SoCon
 #74581  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:31 am
Stumpy wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:15 pm
If UMass beats NM State, that does something for FCS....
Why? Don’t get it as they are both FBS and have been for a while.
 #74582  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:42 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:35 pm
With or without the delay that was a pretty boring game and did nothing for FCS football.
It's positive for a SoCon to get an out of conference win.

While this was not a "must win" game for Mercer, it was a "really need to win" game. So, winning ugly works fine for them in a results-oriented business.
Double-digit W (17-7) over a talented Team.
Technically every team is talented, just some more than others. This UNA team is currentky on an 11 game D1 losing streak so maybe not so much.
 #74583  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:58 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:42 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 10:08 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:50 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:35 pm
With or without the delay that was a pretty boring game and did nothing for FCS football.
It's positive for a SoCon to get an out of conference win.

While this was not a "must win" game for Mercer, it was a "really need to win" game. So, winning ugly works fine for them in a results-oriented business.
Double-digit W (17-7) over a talented Team.
Technically every team is talented, just some more than others. This UNA team is currentky on an 11 game D1 losing streak so maybe not so much.
THIS UNA Team, with 40 Transfers on the roster; with 11 Transfers starting on Defense; and with 8 Transfers Starting on Offense, is 0-1, and is talented, in the usual context of the word "talented" when one is discussing an athletic team.
apaladin liked this
 #74584  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 5:09 am
Stumpy wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:35 pm
Big falloff from last year.Questionable calls, poor execution, bad decisions, complete lack of discipline.

Calm your ass down, FUBear. I'm talking about the socon officials.

Then again, Muck Fercer. 😉
LOL - was worried at first…thought you were typing out FUBeAR’s eulogy.
 #74588  by gman84
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:13 am
Mercer is 1-0. Was it impressive? I don’t know at this time. If UNA goes on to win 8 games, then yes it was impressive. Mercer is exactly where they want to be.
 #74589  by soconjohn
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:39 am
UNA's offense was brutal to watch...I don't think they are very good on offense...Defense, however, they were pretty stout.
 #74596  by The Jackal
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:41 pm
gman84 wrote:
Mercer is 1-0. Was it impressive? I don’t know at this time. If UNA goes on to win 8 games, then yes it was impressive. Mercer is exactly where they want to be.

We'll know a bit more, I suppose, next week as UNA hosts Chattanooga.
 #74598  by FUBeAR
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:29 pm
soconjohn wrote:
UNA's offense was brutal to watch...I don't think they are very good on offense...Defense, however, they were pretty stout.
Good eye - Team speed of UNA’s D is as good as any in the SoCon. DB’s were big, aggressive, and outstanding tacklers. Not as talented up front - DL and LB’s…but not horrible, by any means.

A good bit of UNA’s O being brutal was attributable to Mercer returning 10 starters on D and being good. UNA’s OL was 5 transfers, IFBRC, 3 FBS & 2 JUCO. Big boys, not bad, but Mercer’s D Front crushed them. UNA just doesn’t seem to know what they want to do/be on O. FUBeAR would build around FAU QB Xfer / #2’s dual threat skills and thank #6 for his service. If they do that, they can definitely win some games.
gman84 liked this
 #74599  by Affirm
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:39 pm
apaladin wrote:
Stumpy wrote:
Same thought I had.
Disgusting that we are talking at all about 2 of the worst teams in all FBS, neither of which would beat about 100 of the teams in FCS.
Nevertheless, in 3 months from now we will hear about, read about, and/or watch on television one or both of these teams in some totally ridiculous bowl games.
 #74607  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:58 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 2:29 pm
soconjohn wrote:
Good eye - Team speed of UNA’s D is as good as any in the SoCon. DB’s were big, aggressive, and outstanding tacklers. Not as talented up front - DL and LB’s…but not horrible, by any means.

A good bit of UNA’s O being brutal was attributable to Mercer returning 10 starters on D and being good. UNA’s OL was 5 transfers, IFBRC, 3 FBS & 2 JUCO. Big boys, not bad, but Mercer’s D Front crushed them. UNA just doesn’t seem to know what they want to do/be on O. FUBeAR would build around FAU QB Xfer / #2’s dual threat skills and thank #6 for his service. If they do that, they can definitely win some games.
FUBeAR, Agree, I was surprised they didn 't put number 2 back in for some more snaps. I see that he was only 2/7 throwing.. Ouch - maybe that's normal for him in practice and they just don't trust him but his athleticism seems to overcome that like on the TD run where he put the Mercer DB guy into the ground with a nasty stiuff arm... If he consistently only throws 30% completion then yeah you can't play him but I agree wtih you.. I would give him a shot. Dude seems like the most athletic guy on the field in many cases.
 #74608  by gofurman
 Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gman84 wrote:

Yep, will be one of the better measures of both SoCon and UNA - usually there is a FBS etc in there and need more time to gauge... Will know a little bit about Mercer and Chatt very quickly. I like it
 #74611  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:52 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:00 pm
The Jackal wrote:
gman84 wrote:

Yep, will be one of the better measures of both SoCon and UNA - usually there is a FBS etc in there and need more time to gauge... Will know a little bit about Mercer and Chatt very quickly. I like it
Every team has dud games and contests they are happy to just win. Furman had such a game against Charleston Southern last year, so it's hard to draw too many conclusions, especially in week 1.

My gut reaction was that Mercer's defense is pretty stout and has some standout players on that side of the ball. I watched that unit a good bit last year, and they were a scrappy and well-coached group that played hard every week.

On the other side of the ball, the Bear's offense looked out of synch. They couldn't get much going running the ball and struggled to involve their playmaking wide receivers.

I suspect Mercer will take it on the chin in Oxford, come home and beat Morehead State, and then we'll really know what they've got when they come to Greenville in a few weeks.
 #74624  by Stumpy
 Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:44 pm
apaladin wrote:
Stumpy wrote:
My bad. Thought they were still FCS.
apaladin liked this