• Whats it gonna be....

#74064  by Thorny
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:20 pm
I agree with Jackal.

Nothing about that looks appealing from the stand point of fans or student athletes.

MAYBE that many institutions banding together could be able to leverage sweeter media deals but...

I don't see any institution of the SoCon feeling left out and probably every institution in the SoCon had the opportunity to get in on this but didn't.
 #74065  by Thorny
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:26 pm
I know we all like to sh*t on the SoCon but the fact that we don't even have to pay attention to all of the fcs realignment, and are mostly unaware of it, I think speaks volumes.
FUBeAR, hypercycloid, dornb and 2 others liked this
 #74066  by paladinfan12
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:10 pm
Roundball wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:56 pm
Meanwhile, the SoCon sits back and does nothing.

One might argue the SoCon is in the best situation of all of the conferences. Tight geographically. The schools all seem pretty committed to the cause.

Having that many teams makes more sense if you have a championship game. FCS teams do not.
100% agree. Without a championship game how do you figure out who gets the autobid? CAA is probably assuming that the winner of each division will get an at-large since they usually get 5 bids a year - but I hope that backfires on them and they're stuck with division winners not getting in.
 #74068  by Flagman
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:01 pm
Roundball wrote:
When did Delaware become a southern state?
 #74069  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:09 pm
Flagman wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:01 pm
Roundball wrote:
When did Delaware become a southern state?
Speaking as a 6-year resident of the Diamond State - All of Delaware south of the C&D Canal is a Southern State.
 #74096  by 'Din Djarin
 Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:08 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:05 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:29 am
It's a tiny and ultimately minor improvement.

In my experience, this is the most you can ever expect from the Southern Conference.

I sort of like the idea of branding the conference as the Southern Conference.

In a new era where conferences no longer remotely resemble the historic or geographical connection to the past, having the conference position itself as exactly that is a bit refreshing.

Besides, I'm not sure any of us can predict what college football is going to look like in 10 years. The Southern Conference is one of the few brands where you actually understand what you are getting.
You know, Jackal, I was thinking about this same thing today with all the FBS conference insanity going on. Despite my very legitimate qualms with the Southern Conference (mostly based on its officiating in major sports), the truth is that the conference makes geographic sense and the schools all have a working relationship with one another. At a time where we're being (poorly) gaslit into thinking that Oregon and Rutgers belong in the same conference, it is nice to know your team is exactly where they belong, both on level of play and in conference. Stability is at a premium these days in college football.
Davemeister, dornb, FUBeAR liked this
 #74134  by Sad Din
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:55 am
Will somebody pls with some upmh call the commish to let him know that the beautiful and inspiring new logo looks misplaced on the SoCon web page banner?

should be up in line with the schools and centered on the black background or make it bigger to cover both the blue and black corner. Currenly looks out of place

Maybe its SDs anal attention to detail, but u all tell me pls if SD is wrong

https://soconsports.com/
FU Hoopla, FUeveryday liked this
 #74139  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 12:40 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:55 am
Will somebody pls with some upmh call the commish to let him know that the beautiful and inspiring new logo looks misplaced on the SoCon web page banner?

should be up in line with the schools and centered on the black background or make it bigger to cover both the blue and black corner. Currenly looks out of place

Maybe its SDs anal attention to detail, but u all tell me pls if SD is wrong

https://soconsports.com/

It looks cheap AF....................
 #74141  by Sir William
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:17 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:32 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 3:10 pm
Roundball wrote:

One might argue the SoCon is in the best situation of all of the conferences. Tight geographically. The schools all seem pretty committed to the cause.

Having that many teams makes more sense if you have a championship game. FCS teams do not.
100% agree. Without a championship game how do you figure out who gets the autobid? CAA is probably assuming that the winner of each division will get an at-large since they usually get 5 bids a year - but I hope that backfires on them and they're stuck with division winners not getting in.
Agree.

...and with NC A&T off the board, I hope the SoCon stays put and doesn't expand at this point (unless Richmond, William & Mary and/or the Aggies have an epiphany and want to rejoin/join us, and that's not likely). We've got a great line-up as is. Would love to see Davidson back in (with their beautiful new on-campus stadium they are building), IF and ONLY IF they were to 1) go full scholarship with football and 2) bring their basketball program back with them.
FUBeAR liked this
 #74151  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:55 pm
On the other hand, the CAA is so big that some of its better teams can avoid playing one another during the course of the season.

The CAA lands a lot of bids to the post season, in some part, because their top teams won't play one another. So, if the goal is more playoff teams and exposure in football, I suppose they are doing it right.

There's a positive and a negative to the SoCon approach - yes, we have a true champion after every team has to play every other team. At the same time, our programs can canibalize themselves prior to selection.
 #74186  by 'Din Djarin
 Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:40 pm
My favorite thing about the Southern Conference is that every team plays each other in the regular season and that the champion is the simply the team with the best record. I love making the regular season count for more.

As much as I enjoy the FBS conference championship games for entertainment, I've always felt like making a 12-0 team in one division play the 8-4 team that won the other division a little tedious. Fortunately, since conferences are moving away from divisions, it seems like they'll probably just match up the teams with the two best records in the championship game.

Still, the Southern Conference has the system figured out. Wow. Didn't think I'd ever be saying that with any degree of authenticity, but here we are.
apaladin liked this
 #74191  by The Jackal
 Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:28 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:
My favorite thing about the Southern Conference is that every team plays each other in the regular season and that the champion is the simply the team with the best record. I love making the regular season count for more.

As much as I enjoy the FBS conference championship games for entertainment, I've always felt like making a 12-0 team in one division play the 8-4 team that won the other division a little tedious. Fortunately, since conferences are moving away from divisions, it seems like they'll probably just match up the teams with the two best records in the championship game.

Still, the Southern Conference has the system figured out. Wow. Didn't think I'd ever be saying that with any degree of authenticity, but here we are.
The only thing that concerns me is that this same line of thinking was advocated by the Big 12, and it almost destroyed the conference.
 #74192  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:06 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:55 pm
On the other hand, the CAA is so big that some of its better teams can avoid playing one another during the course of the season.

The CAA lands a lot of bids to the post season, in some part, because their top teams won't play one another. So, if the goal is more playoff teams and exposure in football, I suppose they are doing it right.

There's a positive and a negative to the SoCon approach - yes, we have a true champion after every team has to play every other team. At the same time, our programs can canibalize themselves prior to selection.
The CAA has gotten bigger but certainly not better.
 #74194  by Affirm
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:45 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:28 pm
'Din Djarin wrote:

The only thing that concerns me is that this same line of thinking was advocated by the Big 12, and it almost destroyed the conference.
What schools would you, or others, suggest that SoCon should have attempted to add or should in the future?
Name them one at a time, in order of preference.
My first 3 would be:
1.NCA&TSU
2.Elon
3.Campbell
I like the 3 Virginia CAA schools, but they would seem to be tied together as a package of 3, and the Otho is 3 would not come unless the 3 NC schools would have agreed to come.
 #74196  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 15, 2023 9:44 am
If Elon and Campbell are the only options I’d just stay where we are. Playing everyone in the conference in football and home and home in basketball is a big plus IMHO.