• Observations on WCU game

#4645  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:31 am
Watched the replay last night.

2) Other Blocking - We are asking some skinny dudes to make some tough (and key) blocks on the inside - Wingbacks & TE’s on LB’s & occasionally DLmen. They’ll get better at it, but this is where most of the ‘breakdowns’ occurred on plays that went for little or no gain. Don’t think I’d change the scheme...just maybe be a bit more cognizant of who is in the game & what we’re asking them to do on each play, if possible. And get those boys a few cheeseburgers!!!

Great win! Fun to watch live & on the replay.
It appears we are playing Ryan Miller a bunch at TE. He's listed at 208, which makes him sort of a hybrid TE/WR. I can imagine the blocking responsibilities he had last season seem pretty simple in comparison to the kind of guys he is being asked to block now.
 #4646  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

2) Other Blocking - We are asking some skinny dudes to make some tough (and key) blocks on the inside - Wingbacks & TE’s on LB’s & occasionally DLmen. They’ll get better at it, but this is where most of the ‘breakdowns’ occurred on plays that went for little or no gain. Don’t think I’d change the scheme...just maybe be a bit more cognizant of who is in the game & what we’re asking them to do on each play, if possible. And get those boys a few cheeseburgers!!!

It appears we are playing Ryan Miller a bunch at TE. He's listed at 208, which makes him sort of a hybrid TE/WR. I can imagine the blocking responsibilities he had last season seem pretty simple in comparison to the kind of guys he is being asked to block now.
Yeah...and we had a 190 lb former QB in there trying to mix it up with some DLmen & LB’s also. As most know, I’m not a big “size matters” guy, but we seemed to be putting ourselves into a few more mano a mano mismatches (not angle or ‘crack’/counter-advantaged situations) at the Point of Attack than is ideal.
 #4647  by cavedweller2
 Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:47 pm
Move Bo McKinney to tight end. He was an all region, all county basketball player in a high School. He could be quite effective in the red zone. Bring it down like a rebound.
Paul C liked this
 #4654  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:05 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Yeah...and we had a 190 lb former QB in there trying to mix it up with some DLmen & LB’s also. As most know, I’m not a big “size matters” guy, but we seemed to be putting ourselves into a few more mano a mano mismatches (not angle or ‘crack’/counter-advantaged situations) at the Point of Attack than is ideal.

I often tell people that a smaller, technically sound football player will beat a bigger player 9 times out of 10. The problem occurs when that bigger player is also technically sound. Then you are screwed.
 #4660  by Flagman
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am
I was pleased to see that we could be a quick strike team if we needed to be. I was worried about that game right up until we went into the victory formation.
 #4661  by The Jackal
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 am
Flagman wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:55 am
I was pleased to see that we could be a quick strike team if we needed to be. I was worried about that game right up until we went into the victory formation.
It was certainly concerning after the debacle at ETSU.

Looking back on that game, Furman did a better job of making the plays they needed to against WCU to seal the game. We didn't play stellar football, but when the offense needed to make a play or the defense needed a turnover, we were there.

We have to be able to shut down a game in the second half, though. We kept giving WCU life with penalties, turnovers, and mental mistakes.
 #4663  by Flagman
 Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 am
It was a real shame we couldn't do that against ETSU. Wofford will present a completely different set of problems. The mistakes and penalties really hurt us, and that is so uncharacteristic of Furman teams. I'm certain the coaching staff had some words to say about that.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.