• UIW vs NDSU

#63116  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:47 pm
NDSU attendance was very good durng the season. Playoff football just doesn’t draw especialky on a Friday night. Would have loved to have had a shot at the Bizon since they don’t/can’t throw it at all. 1-12 for 5/yds last night. Hard to believe a team can win these days with no passing game. UIW is not a very smart football team.
 #63117  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:52 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:34 am
purplehorse123 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:48 pm
The game ended a little like the FU-UIW game. Both teams went for the long ball when they might have won just by moving down the field.

Just what I was thinking.

Scott uttered a Hail Mary and his prayer went unanswered. Well, maybe it was answered and the answer was "NO"!
Felt like the end of our game against them - moving the ball well on the final drive and really just had to avoid a turnover in that situation. Deep throw downfield to a covered receiver.
 #63118  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:20 pm
gman84 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:46 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:04 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:55 pm
Pulling for UIW

NDSU always winning has been so bad for the brand of FCS football

Not even Bison fans are showing up to the Dome anymore like they did in the past
With a blizzard going on in that area, I was shocked at the number of fans that attended the game. That was impressive. We cannot get that many to show up on clear and sunny day,.
True about our attendance, but NDSU has ZERO competition for fans.

NO other college football anywhere near, and the Metro area, fairly compact I guess, has 250,000 people. And I doubt the area shuts down for a blizzard as much as we would for a trace of snow.
 #63122  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:33 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:47 pm
NDSU attendance was very good durng the season. Playoff football just doesn’t draw especialky on a Friday night. Would have loved to have had a shot at the Bizon since they don’t/can’t throw it at all. 1-12 for 5/yds last night. Hard to believe a team can win these days with no passing game. UIW is not a very smart football team.
Its easy to see the decline in interest at NDSU in FCS playoff football

The first 9 times they hosted the semifinal they drew 18,000+

the last 2 times they have hosted it went to 16,000 and now 12,000, seems like alot of their fan base is over it by now
 #63164  by gman84
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:32 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:19 am
Flagman wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:17 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:14 am
Roundball wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:04 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:55 pm
Pulling for UIW

NDSU always winning has been so bad for the brand of FCS football

Not even Bison fans are showing up to the Dome anymore like they did in the past
With a blizzard going on in that area, I was shocked at the number of fans that attended the game. That was impressive. We cannot get that many to show up on clear and sunny day,.

I know what you're saying for sure, I was not comparing them to our fan base, just the fact that these games even with blizzard conditions for semifinals use to sellout in Fargo for NDSU. Not anymore for them, yesterday only 12,500 showed up, the dome seats 18,500.
It was still enough to disrupt UIW.

Yep, but alot less enthusiasm around the NDSU program for FCS playoff football these days, surely they will make the FBS jump soon
I still remember Dwight Covington saying back in 06 or so, watch out for NDSU. They were transitioning from D2 to FCS and ineligible for the playoffs. They also dominated D2 for several years.
 #63188  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:04 pm
Please remind me why NDSU can’t or won’t move up? Serious question. Thanks
 #63193  by Flagman
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:30 pm
Why should they? Big fish in a little pond.
Stumpy liked this
 #63195  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:36 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:30 pm
Why should they? Big fish in a little pond.
Because there is an entire division above FCS and they should aspire to do bigger things at this point
 #63196  by Paul C
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:37 pm
gofurman wrote:
It costs a lot of money to move up….
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63197  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:50 pm
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:
True
 #63199  by Affirm
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:51 pm
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:
Money is one of the reasons we cannot or will not move up. Another reason for us is that we feel that we can be more competitive at the FCS level and have more hope for some success at the FCS level. I doubt that the money reason would apply nearly as much for NDSU, but I also think they would have nowhere near as much success (winning championships at the national level) on a consistent basis in FBS as they do in FCS.
 #63208  by gofurman
 Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:49 pm
Paul C wrote:
gofurman wrote:
If that’s the deterrent then why does everyone else move up?? APP, GSU, Marshall, Coastal. Now JMU.

Also Flag said be a big fish in small pond but so were these schools I listed. What is different with NDSU vs all of App and GSU and Marshall and Coastal and JMU
 #63216  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:04 am
GF there are now teams moving up with 8,000 seat stadiums, very small fan bases etc., KSU for example. it really has become a joke and will force the Power 5’s to form their own thing. At least the teans you mentioned had/have decent fan bases. I think one of the main reasons NDSU doesn’t move up is there is really no FBS conference close to them. Travel would be a tremendous expense, not just football but all their sports. The only FBS conference remotely close is the BIG 10 and they are not going to get in there.
 #63220  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:49 am
apaladin wrote:
GF there are now teams moving up with 8,000 seat stadiums, very small fan bases etc., KSU for example. it really has become a joke and will force the Power 5’s to form their own thing. At least the teans you mentioned had/have decent fan bases. I think one of the main reasons NDSU doesn’t move up is there is really no FBS conference close to them. Travel would be a tremendous expense, not just football but all their sports. The only FBS conference remotely close is the BIG 10 and they are not going to get in there.
So will Furman be in a third tier Division once its all said and done? Almost like being division III if it was counted properly since those teams won't compete with each other for national championships.
1) Power 5
2) FBS
3) FCS
 #63222  by Affirm
 Sun Dec 18, 2022 7:36 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:49 am
apaladin wrote:
So will Furman be in a third tier Division once its all said and done? Almost like being division III if it was counted properly since those teams won't compete with each other for national championships.
1) Power 5
2) FBS
3) FCS
In your scenario, why would it be bad for Furman? We are not going to move up.)
Would Power 5 teams no longer play any or many FCS?
Would all of our “big games” like USC and Clemson and the like go away and be replaced by less lucrative, less “big” games against a few of your level 2 FBS?
That is the only bad that I see. (We’d still get to compete at the highest level we possibly could in FCS.)

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:46 am

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FUBeAR

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:44 am

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 20, 2024 7:52 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 2:37 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.