• Get on the phone with Stetson

#3963  by gman
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm
I imagine there are a number of possibilities. I don’t know if the cancellation, for instance, imposed a penalty on Colgate. Furman played up there, but got no return home game.

Hampton’s game against Tennessee State was also cancelled. Hampton plays D2 Lane College on Oct. 6. Could Furman buy out that contract and play Hampton?
Gotta say I'm hoping there was no penalty on Colgate for cancelling when it's a Hurricane and safety / unknowns were involved. They donated their hotel rooms etc. I realize that all may be a separate issue and may not matter but I appreciate their gestures
To think there could be a penalty for a canceled game is crazy. There are no penalties. Besides, most teams take out insurance for this purpose. That’s is why Marshall still gets $1.3 million minus what would been traveling costs for not playing S. Carolina.
 #3964  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:23 am
gman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:46 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:27 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:06 pm
I imagine there are a number of possibilities. I don’t know if the cancellation, for instance, imposed a penalty on Colgate. Furman played up there, but got no return home game.

Hampton’s game against Tennessee State was also cancelled. Hampton plays D2 Lane College on Oct. 6. Could Furman buy out that contract and play Hampton?
Gotta say I'm hoping there was no penalty on Colgate for cancelling when it's a Hurricane and safety / unknowns were involved. They donated their hotel rooms etc. I realize that all may be a separate issue and may not matter but I appreciate their gestures
To think there could be a penalty for a canceled game is crazy. There are no penalties. Besides, most teams take out insurance for this purpose. That’s is why Marshall still gets $1.3 million minus what would been traveling costs for not playing S. Carolina.
I do not think it is crazy to suggest Furman may get some sort of compensation for a canceled home game. These are contracts. Maybe we had insurance.
 #3965  by FUBeAR
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 am
Stetson? Really? We can do better than that with all the cancellations this weekend. I mean, let's just aim for D2.
Great! I think Away games at UNC or Southern Miss have been suggested; meaning only 4 Home games and a high risk of a loss, or better described, a low probability of getting a much-needed D1 win for potential Playoff possibilities. Or a Home Game with Stetson, giving us 5 Home games & a strong probability of a much-needed D1 win for potential Playoff possibilities.

You must have many other better alternatives to suggest. Let’s see ‘em!
I guess the Colts could be a possibility. They play on Thursday 10/4 & are then off until 10/14. They could squeeze in a quick trip down to Greenville on 10/6 if they flew straight from their Thursday night game @ the Patriots, but I’m not sure if the NFL/NFLPA CBA would allow a 17th Regular Season game.

Any others to suggest?
Jasper liked this
 #3969  by Jasper
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:29 am
The last thing this team needs is to schedule another likely beat down from a big program. The staff needs this time to get back to the drawing board with the players we can put on the field in all positions and get them as many practice snaps as possible with a workable plan from a reduced playbook. The SoCon looks wide open to me this year considering the Mercer victory over Samford in Alabama. We played 2 very good teams and were thrashed. We are not as good as them right now. That is simply a fact. What we need to do is to play a good game against a competitive program in order to get over the effects of those bad losses, restore confidence and get better as the season progresses. IMO, trying to schedule a FBS team or a pushover Div. 2 team will not do any good.
 #3970  by gman
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:40 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:27 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:39 am
Paladin91 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:19 am
Stetson? Really? We can do better than that with all the cancellations this weekend. I mean, let's just aim for D2.
Great! I think Away games at UNC or Southern Miss have been suggested; meaning only 4 Home games and a high risk of a loss, or better described, a low probability of getting a much-needed D1 win for potential Playoff possibilities. Or a Home Game with Stetson, giving us 5 Home games & a strong probability of a much-needed D1 win for potential Playoff possibilities.

You must have many other better alternatives to suggest. Let’s see ‘em!
I guess the Colts could be a possibility. They play on Thursday 10/4 & are then off until 10/14. They could squeeze in a quick trip down to Greenville on 10/6 if they flew straight from their Thursday night game @ the Patriots, but I’m not sure if the NFL/NFLPA CBA would allow a 17th Regular Season game.

Any others to suggest?
Eastside HS plays Berea that Friday night. Maybe we can buy out that game and schedule the Eagles for Saturday.
 #3974  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 pm
Have we ever had a game cancelled besides the 9/11 game? I know we have had a couple of postponements but what about cancellations?
 #3976  by Paladin91
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:38 pm
Make a 10/6 game happen with Southern Miss. Winnable away game, and would help if we're in playoff contention. Stetson is a lose lose situation - might as well not make up the game if this is the end result.
 #3977  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:39 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Make a 10/6 game happen with Southern Miss. Winnable away game, and would help if we're in playoff contention. Stetson is a lose lose situation - might as well not make up the game if this is the end result.
Why on earth is it a "lose lose?"

We get a home game. Stetson makes some money. Furman likely notches a needed D1 win that counts towards playoff eligibility. Both teams avoid playing 10 games.

If anything, it is win win.
MNORM, dornb, Davemeister liked this
 #3978  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:40 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:46 pm
Have we ever had a game cancelled besides the 9/11 game? I know we have had a couple of postponements but what about cancellations?
Looking at some of the other games, I imagine it was a perfect storm (pardon the pun). If it was a local team or a conference game, I imagine they would have found a way to get it by moving the game time or the location.
 #3981  by DungeonRealm
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:52 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
That's all good in theory, but on what universe is Southern Miss going to play 2 fcs games in 1 season? They have already played Jackson St.
FUBeAR liked this
 #3986  by Flagman
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:44 pm
gman wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 pm
Come on guys. Show some patience. It’s only been a few days since the game was canceled.
Really? You expect patience from this bunch?
 #3987  by MNORM
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 pm
A few days ago I replied to Colgate’s Tweet that the game was cancelled...
Any chance Colgate could get Bucknell and Lafayette to swap dates? Colgate would then have the same bye week as Furman, Oct. 6th.
@Bucknell_Bison
@GoLeopards

Yesterday Colgate’s coach liked my tweet. I usually don’t read much into tweets/likes/replies...but it would be great if this scenario was being worked on.
 #3991  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:40 pm
MNORM wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 pm
A few days ago I replied to Colgate’s Tweet that the game was cancelled...
Any chance Colgate could get Bucknell and Lafayette to swap dates? Colgate would then have the same bye week as Furman, Oct. 6th.
@Bucknell_Bison
@GoLeopards

Yesterday Colgate’s coach liked my tweet. I usually don’t read much into tweets/likes/replies...but it would be great if this scenario was being worked on.
I would kill to play Stetson or Colgate.

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.