• Game cancelled

#3866  by The Jackal
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:55 am
My guess is this is less about whether it will physically be raining at Paladin Stadium and more that the majority of the Carolinas are preparing for a weather event, many of whom are evacuating, and Universities opted to take the focus and literally hundreds of thousands of people off the roads going to football games.

If you just look at Colgate and consider how many hotel rooms they would take for their team, staff, family, and fans and then realize that folks are evacuating the coast and driving inland, just that alone makes it make sense.
gman liked this
 #3869  by MNORM
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:03 am
Colgate could pull this off with a rather simple scheduling swap...
If Bucknell switched Colgate with Lafayette on Oct 6th and Oct 20th respectively, Colgate vs Furman could happen during our bye week on Oct 6th. Unfortunately, having two other Patriot League teams needing to agree to the switch could prevent it from happening.
 #3872  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 am
Besides our game, only PC-Stetson & Tenn St -Hampton appear to be the only “cancellation”, out of the 16 FCS games affected by Florence. If neither us nor Colgate make playoff, could the 2 agree to a TGweekend game, or the following week. Of course, I realize both teams have playoff hopes and may for weeks to come, so maybe this will be psychologically impossible, in addition to logistically and financially very difficult.
Last edited by Affirm on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #3873  by MNORM
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:58 am
affirm wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:49 am
Besides our game, only PC-Stetson & Tenn St -Hampton appear to be the only “cancellation”, out of the 16 games affected by Florence. If neither us nor Colgate make playoff, could the 2 agree to a TGweekend game, or the following week. Of course, I realize both teams have playoff hopes and may for weeks to come, so maybe this will be psychologically impossible, in addition to logistically and financially very difficult.
IMHO, the Patriot League is full of cupcakes. I expect Colgate to get the auto-bid.
 #3875  by fufanatic
 Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:57 am
“At the end of the day, you have to look at the big picture and that’s the safety of everyone involved,” Hunt said in a news release. “And by that I mean the teams and families but also the allotment of resources used for the game that could be better used somewhere else.”

Those resources include hotel rooms and meals that Colgate had planned.

“It’s obviously a disappointment that we are not playing but at the end of the day, there are decisions bigger than football that need to be made for the safety of a lot of people,” Hunt said.

^
Can respect that.
 #3980  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:40 pm
PurplePower73 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:45 pm
raleigh fan wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:27 pm
To that point UNC, Duke, and UVA all are available that weekend.
Furman could probably get a win against UNC.
Under normal conditions I would say yes, that would be a possibility but until we show some semblance of an offense we can't be confident of anything.
gofurman and 1 others liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.