• STATS Poll

#56148  by gman84
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:55 am
purplehorse wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:36 am
I think having a good QB is so critical. I don’t know why we can’t run the table based on what I saw at Clemson. True pass D needs to improve but I think our offense has the potential to be really good.
I haven't felt this good about our qb situation since '17, Hendrix first year. This is the first time we did not have to throw a qb out there that had no starting experience or wasn't a freshman.
Davemeister, dornb liked this
 #56150  by FUBeAR
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:28 am
gman84 wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
I think having a good QB is so critical. I don’t know why we can’t run the table based on what I saw at Clemson. True pass D needs to improve but I think our offense has the potential to be really good.
I haven't felt this good about our qb situation since '17, Hendrix first year. This is the first time we did not have to throw a qb out there that had no starting experience or wasn't a freshman.
Just a bit of alternate thought on Mr. Huff…

He’s really not THAT experienced.

Prior to the NGU game, he had started 12 college football games as a QB.

The 1st 6 of those ‘Starts’ were as the back-up QB filling in for the (apparently) injured & re-injured Starter, until, it appears, he supplanted the Starter in the final game or 2 of a 2-10 season.

The next 6 Starts were in an odd Spring season playing in a non-scholarship league.

The point of calling this out is certainly not to denigrate Mr. Huff. Quite to the contrary, the point is…he’s still a near-rookie…roughly somewhere between R-FR & SOPH experience-wise with the equivalent of a partial year as a part-time Starter…in FUBeAR’s estimation…and that means 1) he’s in his ‘timezone’ of ability to make the greatest strides of improvement week-to-week AND that should mean 2) still a good bit of upside; a very high ceiling…beyond the high-quality of play we have observed so far.

“Very good” may just become “GREAT!” and we may have the pleasure and privilege of watching it happen.
Affirm liked this
 #56152  by gman84
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:56 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:28 am
gman84 wrote:
purplehorse wrote:
Just a bit of alternate thought on Mr. Huff…

He’s really not THAT experienced.

Prior to the NGU game, he had started 12 college football games as a QB.

The 1st 6 of those ‘Starts’ were as the back-up QB filling in for the (apparently) injured & re-injured Starter, until, it appears, he supplanted the Starter in the final game or 2 of a 2-10 season.

The next 6 Starts were in an odd Spring season playing in a non-scholarship league.

The point of calling this out is certainly not to denigrate Mr. Huff. Quite to the contrary, the point is…he’s still a near-rookie…roughly somewhere between R-FR & SOPH experience-wise with the equivalent of a partial year as a part-time Starter…in FUBeAR’s estimation…and that means 1) he’s in his ‘timezone’ of ability to make the greatest strides of improvement week-to-week AND that should mean 2) still a good bit of upside; a very high ceiling…beyond the high-quality of play we have observed so far.

“Very good” may just become “GREAT!” and we may have the pleasure and privilege of watching it happen.
Totally agree. Your analysis, in comparison, proves how crazy our qb situation has been the last several seasons.
 #56155  by Davemeister
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:29 am
After watching our first two games it's tempting to predict a Run of the Table.

But my better judgement doesn't think it will happen. Even the very best college teams have "off days". We will drop a couple: one to either UT-C or Mercer and one to somebody we should beat, but won't.
 #56157  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:56 am
Davemeister wrote:

But my better judgement doesn't think it will happen. Even the very best college teams have "off days". We will drop a couple: one to either UT-C or Mercer and one to somebody we should beat, but won't.
I don't see any team on the schedule we can't beat.

I also think that we've been consistent QB play away from elevating our game for a while now. We had consistent QB play in 2017 with a less talented and deep team and made the second round of the playoffs.

I'm excited to see where we can go with this group.
Purple rain liked this
 #56160  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:56 am
Davemeister wrote:

I don't see any team on the schedule we can't beat.

I also think that we've been consistent QB play away from elevating our game for a while now. We had consistent QB play in 2017 with a less talented and deep team and made the second round of the playoffs.

I'm excited to see where we can go with this group.
sure. do know that if you are a 90% favorite in EVERY game. EVERY GAME - you should lose at least one.. .9 x .9 x .9 x .9 for 11 games yields a 31% percent chance of winning every game all season. And we are Not nearly a .9 favorite in every game. Not close. Probably .60 vs ETSU? 55% vs Chatt maybe? .40 vs Mercer? Just guessing at these

I am excited but numbers is numbers. Of course with each win that 'chance' of winning em all goes up ! Like Clemson has 90% chance to win almost every game most years (hello ACC Ha) but often falters. It is really hard to run a season. like really hard.

I always find that math interesting. Consider if you are an 87% to win EVERY game. huge favorite in each game. The odds of running an 11 game season without loseing are less about 22% or less than 1 in 4.. Even after winning your first 6 you only have a 50% chance of winning the last 5 as an 87% fav.

Not a negative post. Don't read it that way, just my crazy math brain lol - I hope Furman beats ETSU for our start!!!

GoFurman!!! beat ETSU
Affirm, Davemeister liked this