#55692  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:30 pm
Enjoying watching the highlights again.

Check out this formation, which I can't recall seeing us to a lot of in the past. Third and short - Furman has 1 back, two TEs, and two WRs on the field.

I like what Roper is doing here.

Gissinger is lined up inline to the left. Miller is in the backfield, but right off the RT. Shiflett is tight. I can't tell who the other WR is (Harris, I think).

The play appears to be designed to flood the left side and dump the ball to Miller as he cuts across the defense. Miller appears to get tangled up with a rushing linebacker. At that point, it's a fire drill.

Really nice play by Huff to keep it alive. Also impressive work by Shiflett to slam on brakes and scramble to get open. There were some really quick decisions made on that play.

Admittedly, this isn't going to work against Clemson. It's an opportunity to clean up some problems, but I like some of the creativity on 3rd down.

AstroDin liked this
 #55693  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:43 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:30 pm
Enjoying watching the highlights again.

Check out this formation, which I can't recall seeing us to a lot of in the past. Third and short - Furman has 1 back, two TEs, and two WRs on the field.

I like what Roper is doing here.

Gissinger is lined up inline to the left. Miller is in the backfield, but right off the RT. Shiflett is tight. I can't tell who the other WR is (Harris, I think).

The play appears to be designed to flood the left side and dump the ball to Miller as he cuts across the defense. Miller appears to get tangled up with a rushing linebacker. At that point, it's a fire drill.

Really nice play by Huff to keep it alive. Also impressive work by Shiflett to slam on brakes and scramble to get open. There were some really quick decisions made on that play.

Admittedly, this isn't going to work against Clemson. It's an opportunity to clean up some problems, but I like some of the creativity on 3rd down.

All correct AND not only did Huff make an athletic play to avoid the sack, he kept his eyes up, directed Shiflett where/how he wanted him to continue his ad-libbed route, and then ‘threw him open’ deep with a dime while on the run. That’s Russell Wilson / Patrick Mahomes kinda QB stuff.

FUBeAR gives Mr. Huff an A++++ on this play - Athleticism, Awareness, Authority, Arm, Accuracy
AstroDin, FU69 liked this
 #55698  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:03 pm
ACC not great. Clemson is not the ACC. No one else in ACC has titles etc etc. The Clemson DL is all NFL players. All of em. Great game to see what we have. Sadly Clemson is NOT the gamecocks. They aren’t. HUUUUUGE difference. Even last year with clemson a little off they still whooped USC by 20 or 30 I think. Just too athletic.

Our best years like 89 they still beat on us. Very Frustrating. Personally I wish we’d play Charlotte or Georgia State etc more. Get those possible wins.

Anyway. Stay HEALTHY Get a check and look for positives. Did we hold their O in check at times. Individual players do well? Who had a good day and who specifically gave Clemson 4 and 5* guys a scare ?

Clearly Clemson has a great (great !) DL and tonight blocked two damn punts also. Two. Will be a test of our special teams if they decide to show that in our game. They aren’t always great on offense though they turned that on in second half v GTech. However some of that was GT losing their all-conference LB to targeting. I think it was targeting. Still, Clemson got rolling in half 2 and will be a 8/9 win P5 team. Their small weakness is OL / QB / no alpha dog WR. No Nuke Hopkins or Sammy Watkins right now. They are just good/average ACC receivers right now so that helps. And DJ is not the scariest QB. Honestly what hurts us is they may get up and bring in the second guy (top rated QB) who I think may be better than DJ already. They may try to get him several series vs us and he may be better. Like tonight CU had the game won and yet let the backup run the ‘3 minute drill’ for a score. Getting him real practice not just handoffs.

I bet the line is 50 ..
Last edited by gofurman on Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bj93 liked this
 #55699  by Roundball
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:23 pm
It is early, but beware. Most weather models are showing heavy rain for Saturday. It is something to monitor as the game gets closer.
 #55703  by Louis Tully
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:50 pm
It will be Perfect weather for football.
 #55705  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:17 pm
Louis Tully wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:50 pm
It will be Perfect weather for football.
The only imperfect weather for Football is lightning. And that didn’t used to be a problem. They told us the rubber on our cleats would ground us…or insulate us…not sure which…but we kept playing. No one ever got struck…more than once.

Guess the rubber on cleats nowadays is not as lightning-resistant as it used to be. Prolly had to take some awesome chemical out of it due to climate change or some such silly whatnot.
underjack liked this
 #55706  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:44 pm
Roundball wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:23 pm
It is early, but beware. Most weather models are showing heavy rain for Saturday. It is something to monitor as the game gets closer.
Might slow down their athletes and keep the crowd a bit more muted. Who knows.
 #55708  by Affirm
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:16 pm
Clemson is doing surprisingly bad against Georgia Tech. This will make Furman look really bad if Clemson beats Furman like they are capable of doing. I have no idea why they’re not already at least 24 ahead of GT instead of only 4 ahead. Clemson may feel like they “have something to prove” this year, but they must be waiting until Saturday to start proving it.
 #55710  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:34 pm
affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:16 pm
Clemson is doing surprisingly bad against Georgia Tech. This will make Furman look really bad if Clemson beats Furman like they are capable of doing. I have no idea why they’re not already at least 24 ahead of GT instead of only 4 ahead. Clemson may feel like they “have something to prove” this year, but they must be waiting until Saturday to start proving it.
1) GT’s DC is former Paladin Great Andrew “ByGod” Thacker
2) GT’s Players are on scholarship also
3) Paladin LEGEND Robbie Caldwell is no longer Clemson’s OL Coach
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
fupaladin01, Affirm liked this
 #55711  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:26 pm
Furman’s O-Line is better than GT’s O-Line. That will matter.

Not getting Punts blocked would be a good policy to install before Saturday. Having Punts blocked is very not helpful.
apaladin liked this
 #55712  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:32 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:26 pm
Furman’s O-Line is better than GT’s O-Line. That will matter.

Not getting Punts blocked would be a good policy to install before Saturday. Having Punts blocked is very not helpful.
I think I saw it where of the 22 players signed in Geoff Collins first recruiting class, zero are expected to start for GT this season.
 #55715  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 1:11 am
Weather update high of only 75??? Occasional showers, no heavy rain, 60% chance. Subject to change >10 times between now and Saturday.
 #55718  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:48 am
I saw Ryan Leavy's name pop up among those in the running for this week's conference special teamer of the week award.

I thought that odd that Furman's punter would get recognition in a game where we basically scored every possession. I mean, how much could he have done?

Turns out, looking at the numbers, though, Leavy had 3 punts for a 47.3 yard average and two inside the 20.

Just for comparison, Furman's all time punting average career leader is Grayson Atkins at 43.1 yards per kick.

Not sure if we are supposed to expect Leavy to average closed to 50 yards a punt this season, but if he does, that's a major weapon for our defense.
MNORM, dornb liked this