• Furman University vs. North Greenville University

#55391  by Davemeister
 Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:56 pm
affirm wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:23 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:40 am
NGU will not beat us without our cooperation.
It seems you are implying that none of our football teams have ever "cooperated" with any opponent in any of our losses.
Nope - I didn't imply anything. Every losing team contributes to its own demise.
 #55410  by apaladin
 Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:22 pm
Time to start checking the weather forecast. Seems like its been forever since we had to do that. With no baseball it has been a while. Right now forecast is for sunny and a high of 92, no rain. So be prepared for rain and possible delay of ko.
:lol: :lol:
Flagman liked this
 #55460  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:44 am
A few interesting things from the NGU Game Notes.

Redshirt Amaah Achina is listed first at SPUR.
I expect Achina, Miller, and Richards will rotate heavily.

There are two true freshmen on the two-deep.
Eli Brasher is the backup Tackle for Tomlin.
Ben Ferguson is listed as the backup at WR(H) to Wayne Anderson.

Starting offensive formation - WR (H), WR (X), WR, RB, TE

At WR, Shiflett and Dean will rotate - that's a lot of size and athletic ability.
WR (X), Harris starts, and Bailor Hughes is the backup. I like Bailor a lot, and we share the same birthday.

NG looks nasty with Coleman, Stephens, and Johnson.
 #55461  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:51 am
Jackal - help me out if I'm reading this wrong.

Harris at X is a split end and will typically be on the line.
Anderson at H is a slot receiver and can go into motion, etc.
Shiflett and Dean are Wide Receivers.

This will allow Miller at TE to do many things and not be tied to the line of scrimmage.

This offense could look similar to the Florida Urban Meyer offense.
 #55462  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:58 am
AstroDin wrote:

This will allow Miller at TE to do many things and not be tied to the line of scrimmage.

Though a poor substitute for Jackal, FUBeAR will add his 1.9 cents to respond to your query.

* Only 4 allowed in the backfield - behind the LoS. Can (theoretically) put 11 on the LoS; practically, only 10.
* 0 or 1 Player, not on the LoS, may be in motion at snap behind and not moving toward the LoS until the snap
* Unless this rule has changed, once a player on the LoS puts his hand on the ground, he cannot shift or go in motion.
* Eligible number rules not withstanding, no Player is “tied to the line of scrimmage.” Any Player may shift on/off the line as long as there are no more than 4 not on the LoS at the snap.

* Though letter designations may vary from Offense to Offense, an “X” is usually a “Split End” and is usually on the LoS, but can readily shift off the LoS as long as another Player shifts on the LoS, so as to have no more than 4 Players off the LoS at the snap. In “Heavy” or “Jumbo” formations, an “X” may be the 2nd Tight End.
* “Y” is usually the letter designation for the other (usually) ‘on-the-line’ “End.” Typically, this is the Tight End, if a Tight End is used.
* “H” is the letter designation of an ‘off-the-line’ Player. This letter was 1st used to describe Tight End / Fullback ‘types’ who usually operated inside the box and were usually ‘moving (shifting or in motion) blockers.’ They were often called “H-Backs.” As Offenses have evolved to more “Spread” formations, the “H” letter designation has been retained, but they are now more commonly (but not always) ‘off-the-line’ “Wide Receivers.”
* It is not typical to see you some of the eligible receivers have a single letter designation and the others not - or to have 1 just designated as “WR.” FUBeAR suspects that “WR” is probably designated as a “Z” and is typically off-the-line and split out.
* Most likely, though not shown in the 2 Deep, the “RB” will have a single-letter designation also. It was “A” for the Tailback and “B” for the Fullback way back in FUBeAR’s day. No idea what Coach Roper’s single letter designation is for the “RB” in his O, but most likely there is one.

All this said, none of these Players are very important to the success of the Team. It’s ALL ABOUT the O-Line, y’know.

Let’s hope the Offense does not look like Urban Meyer’s JaxJags Offense. Though it, and his behavior as an NFL HC, were quite Offensive.
 #55463  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:03 am
AstroDin wrote:

I'm not super sure how Roper is going to design things, but this is generalities.

The "X" is going to be anchored to the line opposite the TE. The X is typically going to be the "big play" guy with the speed to get off the press and get downfield. They have the disadvantage of being anchored to the line with the corresponding ability of a DB to get right up on them.

It's no surprise to see Josh Harris there, but maybe a little surprising to see Bailor Hughes behind him (who, if I recall, was a high school sprinter).

The "Z" receiver is likely going to be off the line and working in tandem with the TE to the opposite side. He's also a guy that can move around the formation and are likely some of the better route runners. Hypothesizing, but this appears to be the role for Shiflett and Dean.

The "H" in this offense, I think, is going to be a slot guy, most likely to the X side. I think you'll see the H work a lot of shorter routes in the space cleared up by the X pushing up field. Wayne Anderson appears to be the guy here. I don't know much about Capitano or Ferguson. Ferguson, at least on high school film, looked like a prototype slot guy.

I assume in Roper's offense the TE is dubbed the "Y" receiver. That will probably be Miller and, as we all know, he'll line up anywhere at any time. I think you'll see route combinations where Miller/Shiflett/Dean are going to be creating a lot of traffic out there.

Miller is the hybrid, of course. Furman could easily run a two TE set with Miller at the "H" and Gissinger at the "Y." That'll be tough on a defense considering Miller can both lineup outside and inside. Defenses are going to have to know where Miller is on every play.
FUBeAR liked this
 #55466  by FUBeAR
 Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:09 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:04 am
Posted at same time. What he said.
Ditto
 #55467  by The Jackal
 Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:21 am
A couple of thoughts on the depth chart ahead of Game 1:

1. Achina at SPUR: Achina appears to win the starter's role at one of the deeper positions on the team. I liked what I saw out of him in high school, he did well in limited time last year, and looks like a big hombre. My guess is he'll be a household name on the defense pretty quickly.

2. Interested to see our offensive line rotation. I know we had some injuries there in the preseason, so I'm expecting the coaches will try to get snaps for some of the second line guys frequently.

3. How will the pass rush do? Coaches seemed bullish on the pass rush. Clark and Maier at BAN are a bit unknown given how long Hope locked down that role, but both seem to have high ceilings.

4. How will Furman deploy Wilkins? Wilkins is listed at No. 2 at SS, but he's played a lot of football, has play LB and S, and I'm sure is going to see a lot of the field.

5. How will Furman try to fix third down defenses? I expect to see us frequently use "sub" packages on defense. On clear passing downs, will we see Chizik as the nickel? In less-clear passing downs, might we see Wilkins drop down as a third safety?

6. I'm also interested to see our defensive line rotation. How often do we mix up our fronts? Who is first off the bench behind Cam Coleman at NG? Can we generate pass rush from up the middle?

I bet we'll rotate a lot of guys Thursday night. Not because NGU isn't a worthy opponent, but if you've got depth for an early September game, you might as well use it.
 #55468  by AstroDin
 Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:41 am
Thank you both for jumping in… I should have included you FuBear, in my original question - I was just trying to not make too much noise for you both. But I'm glad to read both of your comments.

Obviously, Thursday night we're going to see some new things from the Furman offense… exciting times ahead.