• Practice Report

#54978  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:31 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:26 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:21 pm
I guess everyone would be shocked if Jace is not the starting QB come Sept. 1st, correct. Number 11 (Huff)looked really good throwing the ball, nice touch in the above video.
You sure that’s Huff? That looks like a FR body type to FUBeAR

Was thinking Huff is wearing 6 and has the big knee brace on….at :23. No?
I was not sure and meant to put a question mark after his name!
 #54980  by apaladin
 Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:04 pm
CCH after Tuesday practivce: I want a hat like the one CCH is wearing anyone know where I can get one?
 #54987  by The Jackal
 Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:44 pm
There is a lot to like about Ferguson. He was impressive in his high school films.

He looks like a natural flanker/slot receiver. Good field vision, route running, body control, and hands.

Notably, he's a pretty solidly built as a flanker. At 190 lbs, that's a good bit bigger than most freshmen we have had at that position. I believe Ryan Deluca, Thomas Gordon, and Dejaun Bell were all about 20 lbs lighter when they arrived at Furman.
 #55000  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:00 am
I can't believe I'm the first one on here to notice this…
A couple of freshmen are missing from the roster.

I noticed a comment. About losing a few players on the offensive line, but it went right over my head.
Watching the Matt Sochovka interview, he mentioned that offensive lineman Luke Pettit injured his meniscus and may miss this season.

Then it hit me, and I went back to the OL review post to double-check. Maddox Epperson and Caleb Lyons are no longer on the roster. I have no idea what happened. Both of these players committed to Furman while Quarles and Duke were leading the offense. Eli Braiser is on the roster and appears to be earning PT. He was also the most recruited and was a two-time all-state player.

I don't see this as an issue this season. The starting o-line is set.
Tomlin OT
Toomey OT
Jumper C
Johanning OG
Hughes OG or Gerrick Vollmer OG
Vollmer appears to be the utility guy that can play C/OG/OT

The depth is now a little smaller.
Ryan Lamb OG/C is a critical piece for depth.
EJ Wilson OG/OT.
Blake Hundley and Garland Greenway are both OTs.
Luke Westerman is a PWO center and had some nice Divison II offers.
The final piece again is Eli Brasher. A 6-4 280 OT had offers from Richmond, Elon, Jax St.

Now it makes sense that Furman offers several linemen for the 2022 class. Picking up a commitment from Brody Balliew 6-5 275 is a big deal. It also makes me wonder if Coach Cutch prefers these longer linemen. I'd expect at least three linemen signed in the 2022 class.
 #55005  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:36 am
AstroDin wrote:
It also makes me wonder if Coach Cutch prefers these longer linemen.
“Longer linemen” are fine IF they can play

FUBeAR has seen a lot of longer linemen playing that cannot play - ESPECIALLY at the FCS level

Seen 1 SoCon Team, in the past, really focus on bringing in and playing longer linemen. As their ability to maintain consistent drives, maintain consistent offensive production, and convert in critical 3rd down short yardage situations deteriorated, so did their Team’s record.

Sure…bad record…BUT…LONGER LINEMAN…every freakin’ play!!!

Hopefully Furman’s OL recruiting will continue to focus on bringing in high quality ATHLETES who can PLAY…and IF they happen to be longer…that’s not, necessarily, a bad thing…as long as they can PLAY!
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
AstroDin, Chuckles liked this
 #55006  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:38 am
I try not to speculate about why a player leaves the program. It could be any of dozens of things from grades to playing time to realizing they aren't cut out for the college game.

I think we are fine depth-chart wise. The starting 5 should be solid and then you'll have quality backups with the ability to play multiple positions. Even along the current line players are cross training at multiple positions, which will help backups get work and help curb losses in the future.

One thing I've noticed during Hendrix's tenure is that he really hasn't struggled to recruit OL. So I have no real concerns that we will struggle continuing to fill that pipeline.

The good news is that none of the new recruits HAVE to play right now. Bring in a few every year - let them sit a season or two, get stronger, get better, and be ready for their opportunity.
AstroDin liked this
 #55007  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:41 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:36 am
AstroDin wrote:
It also makes me wonder if Coach Cutch prefers these longer linemen.
“Longer linemen” are fine IF they can play

FUBeAR has seen a lot of longer linemen playing that cannot play - ESPECIALLY at the FCS level

Seen 1 SoCon Team, in the past, really focus on bringing in and playing longer linemen. As their ability to maintain consistent drives, maintain consistent offensive production, and convert in critical 3rd down short yardage situations deteriorated, so did their Team’s record.

Sure…bad record…BUT…LONGER LINEMAN…every freakin’ play!!!

Hopefully Furman’s OL recruiting will continue to focus on bringing in high quality ATHLETES who can PLAY…and IF they happen to be longer…that’s not, necessarily, a bad thing…as long as they can PLAY!
Ideally, your football team would have 6'6 320 lbs cyborgs that could run, hit, block, and had perfect footwork.

You'd rather have a good football player over a big football player.

You'd rather have a good big football player.

My guess is Hendrix believes in his ability to "coach them up." Find guys with the right mold and mentality, and utilize the process.
AstroDin liked this
 #55008  by AstroDin
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:00 am
I agree with both of you guys…
Toomey
Johanning
Lamb
are athletes that also have big bodies.

I'm probably reading too much into it comparing the body types of;
Tomlin 6-5 301 OT
Brasher 6-4 280 OT
and Brody Balliew 6-5 275 OT
 #55012  by gman84
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:46 am
Players aren't longer. The measuring tapes are less accurate. Result of supply chain issues, less measuring tape workers, etc. ;)
FUBeAR, AstroDin liked this
 #55014  by apaladin
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:26 am
gman84 wrote:
Players aren't longer. The measuring tapes are less accurate. Result of supply chain issues, less measuring tape workers, etc. ;)
Yep just like the speed guns in baseball pitching. Everyone is throwing 95 plus these days including every college and minor league pitcher. I ain’t buying it!
 #55016  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:01 pm
Just temporary / transitory inflation. No need to worry .
gman84 liked this
 #55018  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:12 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:26 am
gman84 wrote:
Yep just like the speed guns in baseball pitching. Everyone is throwing 95 plus these days including every college and minor league pitcher. I ain’t buying it!
You aren't following baseball very closely, then.

Like a lot of sports, the game is light years ahead of where it was 20-30 years ago.