• Quarterback-What to do?

#3710  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:06 pm
tya1 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:00 pm
In baseball they talk about how your defense starts up the middle with your catcher, pitcher, shortstop, second baseman and centerfielder.

In football it works the same for both offense and defense. Our offense is missing all-conference level players at center and guard, a top, experienced QB, and half of our inside running tandem from last year. On defense we are missing our top tackler at a key position - LB.

It is going to take time. On offense, especially, there was too much glossing over the losses from some fans. We need some patience and we need some guys to step up.
I think that will go along way. Hendrix talked in the preseason about needing leadership on offense. I think I counted that Furman started 1 senior (Dirks), and two juniors (Godwin and Gordon) against Elon. It's still a really young team and they need some guys to step up and take the reigns.
 #3711  by Flagman
 Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 pm
We haven’t had any real on-field leaders for sometime. I think about players like Blankenship and Bouton. There are others I’m sure. I’m talking about natural leaders and I’m not sure you can coach that.
QCGlue liked this
 #3718  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:42 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:06 pm
Another question that sort of bugged me. Last season Quarles was in the booth with Cronic on the field. This season Quarles is on the field. I wonder what, if any, difference that may make.
Thought about that too, my friend. Here are my thoughts. There is absolutely no way possible an OC can see the field better on the sidelines than in the box. If the OC's most important task is diagnosing defenses (fronts/coverages) and calling plays/making adjustments, then his rear-end needs to be up in that box.

BUT...if the OC is also the QB Coach and he's got 2 young pups that he needs to guide with face-to-face instruction between each series, and, even between each play...then he needs to be on the sidelines where he can look them in the eyes, put his arm around their shoulders, and speak directly in their ear(s).

There IS NO SUBSTITUTE for the latter. Only the QB Coach can do that job...well, a 3 year starting QB, who became a GA, who the youngsters trust, could work, but we don't have that.

The info needed for the former (diagnosing Defenses, etc.) can be provided by someone else over the headset. It's not ideal, but it can work. I would assume we have someone (or two) doing that this year with Coach Quarles OC'ing from the sidelines.

So...I think Coach Quarles, as the OC, being on the sideline, IS the right Coaching alignment for this season.
AstroDin, Jasper, fufanatic liked this
 #3758  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:42 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:09 pm
Since the coaches haven't settled on one guy, why not give Hamp some playing time Saturday? As pitiful as we are on Offense, it couldn't possibly hurt and might even help.
I agree with this. Why not? Lincoln and Grainger seem very limited in their passing and running the option. Sisson may or may not be any better but tell you the truth I myself am panicking, lol. Albeit against 2 good teams neither have shown anything to make me believe they are the future of Furman football and can lead this team the next 4 years. Of course things could change and we all hope they do. We have a total of 111 yds passing in the 2 games. Probably an all-time low for 2 games. We need to do something in a hurry.
 #3760  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:46 pm
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:42 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:09 pm
Since the coaches haven't settled on one guy, why not give Hamp some playing time Saturday? As pitiful as we are on Offense, it couldn't possibly hurt and might even help.
I agree with this. Why not? Lincoln and Grainger seem very limited in their passing and running the option. Sisson may or may not be any better but tell you the truth I myself am panicking, lol. Albeit against 2 good teams neither have shown anything to make me believe they are the future of Furman football and can lead this team the next 4 years. Of course things could change and we all hope they do. We have a total of 111 yds passing in the 2 games. Probably an all-time low for 2 games. We need to do something in a hurry.

I don't have a crystal ball, but this is a time when I presume that the coaching staff has a better read on who is ready and who isn't.

If the offense is going poorly, putting in a less-ready offensive player usually doesn't help matters.
 #3796  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:01 am
I realize the two-deep is somewhat fluid.... BUT the QB is no longer listed as the old "(or)" this week - Grainger is listed as the starter w Lincoln as the backup
 #3802  by sluggo
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:35 am
gofurman wrote:
I realize the two-deep is somewhat fluid.... BUT the QB is no longer listed as the old "(or)" this week - Grainger is listed as the starter w Lincoln as the backup
Makes sense.
I'm not saying who is best but it looked like Grainger did better over the last two games.
Having one QB take most of the snaps in practice is needed to sharpen up this offense.
 #3806  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:12 pm
sluggo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:35 am
gofurman wrote:
Makes sense.
I'm not saying who is best but it looked like Grainger did better over the last two games.
Having one QB take most of the snaps in practice is needed to sharpen up this offense.
That's my thought. After an entire preseason and two games, it's time to pick a horse to ride.
 #3808  by AstroDin
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Might be worth refreshing our memory about Darren Grainger… below is the hudl video of his senior highlights… fast forward to 2:13 mark — that's a 50 plus yard strike that drops perfectly out the sky to a receiver in stride.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4722301/59 ... 18d4839fa9

By the way, there's probably at least four more long deep balls he throws on the money, as well as he shows off his zip on a bunch of balls, he also has the ability to throw pretty well on the run.
 #3811  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:13 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:06 pm
Might be worth refreshing our memory about Darren Grainger… below is the hudl video of his senior highlights… fast forward to 2:13 mark — that's a 50 plus yard strike that drops perfectly out the sky to a receiver in stride.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4722301/59 ... 18d4839fa9

By the way, there's probably at least four more long deep balls he throws on the money, as well as he shows off his zip on a bunch of balls, he also has the ability to throw pretty well on the run.
There is no question he's got an arm.

I think he'll continue to grow and develop. Have to be more careful with the ball. He's got a long delivery and you know defenders are coming around the edge waiting for him to drop that arm so they can swat the ball.
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by apaladin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 1:19 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:44 pm

Default Avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by FurmAlum

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:40 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.