• Last Ask The AD Until August

#53768  by AllTimeFU
 Fri May 27, 2022 9:37 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:10 pm
Here you go. Over an hour long!
Great interview. I've been processing some of the responses. I'm pleased to hear an awareness and investment in media. He is right that winning snowballs attention, but good to be executing on some plans ahead of the big wins. The football specific training facility doubling as an entertainment space sounds intriguing. Are there any drawings / plans for that or is this just early concepts? While he liked the question about an answer he had to provide that coach didn't like, he didn't provide an example. That's probably more telling in the level of their alignment.

Emphasis on getting the right wins for the greatest playoff opportunity is important.

Anybody have any thoughts on the other programs the SoCon would entertain?
What changes are being made to address the concession issues? That's nearly as important as the W's.
 #53769  by fupaladin01
 Fri May 27, 2022 9:53 am
Been listening in sections the last day or two. I continue to be impressed with JD. He seems to be listening to the fans as well as working strategically with administration to find how athletic success can further the goals of the institution. He has good ideas for getting butts in the seats and understands the importance of connecting to the community. The future is bright.

To AllTime's question, I always thought SoCon had interest in NCA&T- but you would think they would have made that happen when the mass exodus of the MEAC. I always thought William & Mary would be a good fit- though I don't want another VA roadtrip. South Carolina State makes sense geographically but academically they're a bit of an outlier. Honestly, Kennesaw St makes a lot of sense but their recent move to the ASUN (and desire to go FBS eventually) seems to rule out that possibility. I can also see ELON returning at some point if we lose a team.

My only desire for concessions is that they bring back plastic souvenir cups!
 #53771  by apaladin
 Fri May 27, 2022 11:30 am
No reason for the SoCon to expand as long as no one exits. Right now they have the perfect number. 9 football teams for 4 home games, 4 away games. 10 basketball teans for 9 homes games and 9 away.
I think the football end zone building will be built before the Timmons reno happens. FFPA’s seem to always have a way of stepping up. Hope I am wrong but the Timmons reno is still in the pipe dream category, Just too much money.
 #53773  by Flagman
 Fri May 27, 2022 1:26 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:53 am

My only desire for concessions is that they bring back plastic souvenir cups!
Would also love to see the return of the souvenir cups. Aside from that, I’d like to have a lid for my paper cup, so it’s easier to carry back to my seat without worrying about spilling it. We get lids in Timmons, why not Paladin Stadium? And don’t give me any of that “green” junk.
apaladin, underjack liked this
 #53832  by Affirm
 Mon May 30, 2022 4:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
No reason for the SoCon to expand as long as no one exits. Right now they have the perfect number. 9 football teams for 4 home games, 4 away games. 10 basketball teans for 9 homes games and 9 away.
I think the football end zone building will be built before the Timmons reno happens. FFPA’s seem to always have a way of stepping up. Hope I am wrong but the Timmons reno is still in the pipe dream category, Just too much money.
Why not a larger conference to help with our difficulties each year (seemingly) in getting better home schedules?
Consider W&M, Elon, NCA&TSU, even CSU, as possibilities; and consider adding also some non-football members like Radford and CofC and PC and High Point and Richmond (Richmond would not leave A10 basketball).
Roundball liked this
 #53833  by Flagman
 Mon May 30, 2022 6:48 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Why not a larger conference to help with our difficulties each year (seemingly) in getting better home schedules?
Consider W&M, Elon, NCA&TSU, even CSU, as possibilities; and consider adding also some non-football members like Radford and CofC and PC and High Point and Richmond (Richmond would not leave A10 basketball).
I hope your mention of CSU is someone other than Charleston Southern. I’m embarrassed that we’ll be playing a game in a stadium more suitable for a middle school. And please, no more non-football schools.
apaladin, MNORM liked this
 #53835  by Affirm
 Mon May 30, 2022 8:19 pm
Flagman wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 6:48 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I hope your mention of CSU is someone other than Charleston Southern. I’m embarrassed that we’ll be playing a game in a stadium more suitable for a middle school. And please, no more non-football schools.
No, it was Charleston Southern.
So are you OK at least with the suggestions of W&M, Elon, and NCA&TSU?
Are you OK with my premise that we’d be better off to have more conference members to make our ability to schedule better?
Or just continue with status quo?
 #53836  by apaladin
 Mon May 30, 2022 8:59 pm
Creating a larger conference just creates problems. The SoCon has the perfect number for football and basketball. If you add a football team then you have an unbalanced schedule every year, 5 home 4 away then vice-versa. Unless you go to 10 football conference games then you just about eliminate ooc games. If you add more conference basketball teams you again eliminate more ooc games which we all love.
 #53842  by Affirm
 Tue May 31, 2022 9:32 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 8:59 pm
Creating a larger conference just creates problems. The SoCon has the perfect number for football and basketball. If you add a football team then you have an unbalanced schedule every year, 5 home 4 away then vice-versa. Unless you go to 10 football conference games then you just about eliminate ooc games. If you add more conference basketball teams you again eliminate more ooc games which we all love.
Legitimate arguments.
My concern is what happens when one (or several) of the schools like UTC, ETSU, VMI, Samford, Mercer jumps ship because they find another conference more beneficial for whatever reasons.
So we just wait and cross that bridge then.
 #53844  by AllTimeFU
 Tue May 31, 2022 9:41 am
JD did mention in the interview that the presidents all agreed to increase the exit fees for the conference. Not to say that couldn't be overcome, but the cost is going up to exit.
 #53845  by Affirm
 Tue May 31, 2022 10:53 am
Good for the presidents. Seems the SoCon CEO and staff all need to be more proactive on numerous matters.
Seems unlikely that Furman has much chance nor desire to move to CAA or A-10 or Pioneer Football League or OVC or some newly created conference. I hope to see how things develop over the next 15-20 years. Meanwhile, let’s dominate SoCon to the extent possible.
Last edited by Affirm on Tue May 31, 2022 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #53848  by AllTimeFU
 Tue May 31, 2022 1:12 pm
Amen to that. Let's dominate where we are. That's the number one priority. The rest will take care of itself.
 #53857  by Affirm
 Tue May 31, 2022 4:37 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:12 pm
Amen to that. Let's dominate where we are. That's the number one priority. The rest will take care of itself.
I'm leaving us leeway by saying "to the extent possible"
 #53858  by apaladin
 Tue May 31, 2022 6:52 pm
Pretty much all the SoCon teams are in the same boat. No geographical/conference move that makes sense. All are in the red now so adding a lot more travel expense not only for the major sports but the olympic sports is not what any SoCon school wants. Unless someone jumps ship the SoCon should stay as is.