• 2022 Football Schedule

#49699  by The Jackal
 Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:58 pm
I never get too wrapped up in the schedule. 8 games are in the conference. 1 is an FBS money game. That's pretty much every season.

We were going to owe Charleston Southern a return trip. They are a respectable FCS opponent (and beatable). It's not Furman's fault their facilities aren't great. Play them in a cow pasture for all I care.

Seeing a D2 school is a surprise. Furman's scheduling philosophy typically avoids D2 programs. Sometimes things don't fall out perfectly and you need to find an opponent.

Playing non-D1 schools makes things more challenging. We'll need to win 7 games out of 10, and one of those is an unlikely win against Clemson. We are certainly capable of beating CSU and going 6-2 in SoCon play.
FUpaladin08 liked this
 #49700  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:30 am
Flagman wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:56 pm
My complaint is that we have no consecutive home games. The travel schedule is horrible. Plus, we have to go to Charleston twice. Why did we ever agree to play in a 4,000 seat stadium? And who decided a Thursday night game would be good for our fans? I know quite a few who will be unable to attend because Friday is a work day. Is ESPN picking up this game for a national telecast? That would be the only reason for us to play on a Thursday night.
Flagman, Don’t understand the Thursday night either. Only thing I can think of is they will save money on all the extra stuff, band, kids play area etc because people will be pushed just to make the game so no need for them. They are being very generous when they say 4,000. PC’s 4,000 seat stadium looks like Yankee stadium compared to CSU’s.
https://sportsbyapt.com/wp-content/uplo ... -5-Web.jpg
Hers where you will be sitting. Do you see 4,000 seats? I don’t. Remember it was voted the worst D1 stadium in the country. Our 2 ooc non FBS games could not be any worse. A D2 and on the road in the worst of the worst stadiums.
https://foursquare.com/v/buccaneer-fiel ... 649725a15a
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #49701  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:46 am
Flagman wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:48 pm
The last Thursday night game was against Jax State. Can’t remember the year. Long, long ago.
Davemeister liked this
 #49702  by fu77fan
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:06 am
I am not excited about playing Notth Greenville or Charleston Southern. I would prefer a more exciting out of conference schedule.
Oh well.
apaladin liked this
 #49706  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:08 am
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
My complaint is that we have no consecutive home games. The travel schedule is horrible. Plus, we have to go to Charleston twice. Why did we ever agree to play in a 4,000 seat stadium? And who decided a Thursday night game would be good for our fans? I know quite a few who will be unable to attend because Friday is a work day. Is ESPN picking up this game for a national telecast? That would be the only reason for us to play on a Thursday night.
Flagman, Don’t understand the Thursday night either. Only thing I can think of is they will save money on all the extra stuff, band, kids play area etc because people will be pushed just to make the game so no need for them. They are being very generous when they say 4,000. PC’s 4,000 seat stadium looks like Yankee stadium compared to CSU’s.
Hers where you will be sitting. Do you see 4,000 seats? I don’t. Remember it was voted the worst D1 stadium in the country. Our 2 ooc non FBS games could not be any worse. A D2 and on the road in the worst of the worst stadiums.
Chuck South’s Visitor’s seating is pretty much the same as what the bellhops have had for the past 5 years…with no definitive, funded plans to change/improve.

“Temporary” aluminum bleachers for college football stadiums is as ubiquitous as mustard-based BBQ is in the low country.
 #49710  by Mr. Taggart
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:48 am
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:
Chuck South’s Visitor’s seating is pretty much the same as what the bellhops have had for the past 5 years…with no definitive, funded plans to change/improve.

“Temporary” aluminum bleachers for college football stadiums is as ubiquitous as mustard-based BBQ is in the low country.
Minor quibble, but I have to show what Green52 taught... It is vinegar down there. Mustard is more in the Midlands, due to the German immigrants :)
bj93 liked this
 #49711  by FUBeAR
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:19 am
Mr. Taggart wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:48 am
FUBeAR wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Flagman wrote:

Minor quibble, but I have to show what Green52 taught... It is vinegar down there. Mustard is more in the Midlands, due to the German immigrants :)
Not to dispute the infallible 52, but FUBeAR (despite his prior post which knowingly distorted facts for the purpose of achieving literary visualization) believes the SC Low Country, is, essentially, agnostic, vis a vis BBQ type. Sitting, as it does, geographically, at the nexus of the Eastern NC vinegar-based, the SC Midlands mustard-based, and the Georgian tomato-based varieties, it doesn’t really have its own BBQ identity. Amazing cuisine in those parts with their Low Country Boil (Frogmore Stew), She-Crab Soup, and Shrimp & Grits, but their ‘Cue is actually just a scattershot of surrounding varietals.
 #49713  by furmandad
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:58 am
Flagman wrote:
There is a High School Band concert scheduled in Paladin Stadium for Saturday afternoon Sept 3 ...... :lol:
 #49714  by Roundball
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:12 am
furmandad wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:58 am
Flagman wrote:
There is a High School Band concert scheduled in Paladin Stadium for Saturday afternoon Sept 3 ...... :lol:
I hope you are not serious. If so, that is as bad as scheduling a high school gymnastics competition at Timmons a few years ago, driving our team out of practice before the game at Wofford.
 #49717  by furmandad
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:48 am
Sorry, just kidding -- you"ll also recall in the CBI tournament several years ago, we, as the higher seed, had to go to Campbell (if my memory serves me correctly) because the AD/staff at the time scheduled a local band concert in Timmons.
 #49718  by Affirm
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:55 am
Flagman wrote:
I am glad we have no consecutive home games. I have to travel TO Furman for home games. I am GLAD to not have to make the same trip consecutive weekends.
The travel schedule is not horrible. Get to go to beautiful Lexington, VA. Get to go to Johnson City, TN. To Charleston twice - that's fine with me. (Even get to go to Macon, GA. What can I say?)
The "quite a few who will be unable to attend because Friday is a work day" must live quite a long way from Furman and/or must be casual fans if they are not willing to make arrangements to be off or to go to work late, etc., with 7 months advance notice. And we are saved from having to sit in the heat and burning sun for hours on 2 consecutive Saturdays in early September.
Some silliness by other posters about barbecue. I can get good barbecue at enough places to suit me, including the low country (even though there are no barbecue places, anywhere, even in GA, that I would drive more than about 40 miles for). Glad we don't really arrange our football schedules based on barbecue.
And ... I have seldom known Flagman to be negative.
 #49724  by Roundball
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:10 pm
One positive thing about playing NGU is that they will at least bring some fans, including a band and more than likely the entire student body. I predict they will bring more fans than most of our SoCon brethren, especially Wofford.
Affirm, FU69 liked this
 #49728  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:35 pm
Roundball wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:10 pm
One positive thing about playing NGU is that they will at least bring some fans, including a band and more than likely the entire student body. I predict they will bring more fans than most of our SoCon brethren, especially Wofford.
…….ummmm, prolly not. They brought 12 to the basketball game. Not sure but don’t think they have a marching band anymore. Could only find old videos and counted 25 members. Could be wrong.
 #49729  by apaladin
 Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:49 pm
Except for the night exhibition game we have no real home games in September. That is odd. Look for D2’s to be the new norm. Need a home game in ‘23 and ‘24, maybe 2 in ‘24 as it is a 12 game season,