• Next Year

#46833  by apaladin
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:33 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:45 am
Looking at the core of the team returning and with a focus on the offense what are realistic expectations for the next two to three years? From my point of view, the offensive upside is leaning forward. Jace will be a sophomore, and hopefully, Furman can get out of the hole on quarterbacks. I think it's critical to the future success of the program to be able to redshirt Carson Jones. This will put two class years between Jace and Carson. During Furman's most successful periods Furman was starting QBs as juniors, not freshmen.

Based on our returning roster, and a belief in our coach's recruiting for the next several years I see 6-5 as the bottom, and I see 2023-2024 as the pinnacle years of this phase for Furman.

Furman's offensive line is going to have a say in this, with only one senior leaving the program, Furman's offensive line is on the cusp of being the strength of the team.
Was kinda hoping Carson Jones might start next year, especially if he enrolls early and goes thru spring and fall practices. Not sure about the OL. Still struggle to get a yard or 2 when needed. Of course when everyone n the world knows we are running up the middle EVERY time its easy to put everyone between the tackles.
 #46869  by purplehorse
 Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:27 pm
Only blown out by one FCS team-Mercer 24-3. UTC beat us by 10 there, 13-3. So we actually could have been 9-2. My concern goes back to us getting killed by Austin-Peay in 2019 playoffs and how we would stack up against other playoff teams outside of the conference. I think this year, not very good. Amazing at our level what a difference a QB transfer like Ingle Martin makes. I remember in the last few years noting that most of the top 8 teams in FCS playoffs had transfer quarterbacks.
 #46873  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:01 am
In the vein of how the offense developed, I went and watched a few highlights. This is more pontificating than anything, but I found it interesting.

Against A&T in Week 1, our passing game had a banner day. Sisson was in pure drop back mode with a lot of RPO built into the offense.

One thing that's really noticeable is just how much presnap motion we have with the running backs, who are frequently lined up in the slot. A lot of our run game was sort of an option look with reads and the back coming into the backfield.

Interestingly, late in the game as we tried to lock down the game, our offense looks a bit more like the style we finished the season with - pistol set with a real downhill attack.

Later in the season we played ETSU

An OK, not great, offensive day. The team didn't score much against a solid defense, but moved the ball fairly well at times. Of course, we have a QB change by this point.

I see a lot less fewer instances where our RB is motioning into the backfield (almost none). There are also a few designed QB runs for Wilson.

Passing game wise, you see Wilson a lot more on the move. He still drops back now and again, but a lot of the passing game has him rolling out. You see a few plays where Wilson looks like a freshman, which are mistakes he made fewer of later in the season has he got more comfortable. Some of those mistakes were crippling in a close game, unfortunately.

As we get to Saturday against Samford and really the last few weeks of the season, we see a lot more of a down hill attack, a lot less option action in the backfield, a lot more roll outs/boots in the passing game
 #46874  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:26 am
Another thought on the running game.

Devin Wynn was the bell cow to start the season, and rightly so. He's one of the best running backs in program history and a verified workhorse.

I do think his limitations later in the season may have uncovered a bit of the future of the Furman offense. Necessity being the mother of invention and all.

Dom Roberto played a bunch during the season, but mostly in a traditional fullback role. When Wynn was playing, Roberto (and everyone else) had infrequent carries.

Through the first 8 games of the season, Roberto had 6 or more carries only twice (A&T and Citadel). Wynn did not play against the Citadel (or at least registered no carries), and Roberto had 12 carries for 132 yards and a TD.

With Wynn really limited the last half of the year, I think our offensive staff tried had to try to figure out where the carries were going to go. Against UTC they primarily went to Devin Abrams and Kendall Thomas. It wasn't until the WCU game they really started to feature #8. Boy did that work.

Some will argue that we played worse defenses. Some of that is true. It's also true that we never really featured Roberto until the last few games of the season. For instance, we don't know what Furman may have done offensively had they made that switch earlier. Roberto had 2 carries against ETSU. What would have happened if he registered 20?

I know I've made the comparison, and I heard CCH make it on Dan Scott's show, but Roberto does bring up memories of Jerome Felton. It's not just that he's a big back. Kealand Dirks was a big back but was more of a straight ahead runner. Watching Roberto's size, speed, quickness, low pad level and balance was very reminiscent of #45.

I remember talking with a football player in 2004. He was a running back, and we were talking about the team, and he told me to just wait until we got to see this new freshman fullback they had on roster.

That season Felton started off slow. 3 carries for 9 yards against Samford. No carries against Gardner Webb. By the start of the next season (2005), he was carrying the ball 15-20 times a game and became one of the most feared backs in conference history.

Not saying that's going to happen here. But I'm also not saying it's not going to happen.
AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #46876  by Furmanoid
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:20 am
The Jackal wrote:

Devin Wynn was the bell cow to start the season, and rightly so. He's one of the best running backs in program history and a verified workhorse.

I do think his limitations later in the season may have uncovered a bit of the future of the Furman offense. Necessity being the mother of invention and all.

Dom Roberto played a bunch during the season, but mostly in a traditional fullback role. When Wynn was playing, Roberto (and everyone else) had infrequent carries.

Through the first 8 games of the season, Roberto had 6 or more carries only twice (A&T and Citadel). Wynn did not play against the Citadel (or at least registered no carries), and Roberto had 12 carries for 132 yards and a TD.

With Wynn really limited the last half of the year, I think our offensive staff tried had to try to figure out where the carries were going to go. Against UTC they primarily went to Devin Abrams and Kendall Thomas. It wasn't until the WCU game they really started to feature #8. Boy did that work.

Some will argue that we played worse defenses. Some of that is true. It's also true that we never really featured Roberto until the last few games of the season. For instance, we don't know what Furman may have done offensively had they made that switch earlier. Roberto had 2 carries against ETSU. What would have happened if he registered 20?

I know I've made the comparison, and I heard CCH make it on Dan Scott's show, but Roberto does bring up memories of Jerome Felton. It's not just that he's a big back. Kealand Dirks was a big back but was more of a straight ahead runner. Watching Roberto's size, speed, quickness, low pad level and balance was very reminiscent of #45.

I remember talking with a football player in 2004. He was a running back, and we were talking about the team, and he told me to just wait until we got to see this new freshman fullback they had on roster.

That season Felton started off slow. 3 carries for 9 yards against Samford. No carries against Gardner Webb. By the start of the next season (2005), he was carrying the ball 15-20 times a game and became one of the most feared backs in conference history.

Not saying that's going to happen here. But I'm also not saying it's not going to happen.
When you have a guy who’s very hard for one guy to tackle, it seems like a good idea to use him a bunch whether it’s rec league or FBS. So I was at first a little dismayed at why we weren’t using ours. Giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt, I decided that they knew our run blocking could only open any lanes at all against certain teams, so we only used him against those teams. Against everybody else he just ran into the back of his own OG and that was that. But you are now saying that they should have been using him all along which means F’oid’s first impression was right, and the coaches were wrong! Good point, Jackal.

Down the road maybe you and I should take over the coaching duties. FUBeAR can do the OL and execution. We’ll have apaladin drop in for motivational speaking from time to time. Better put affirm on as a consultant so Mrs. affirm ( the President) doesn’t cut funding.

Of course Astrodin would handle recruiting.
FUBeAR, AstroDin liked this
 #46880  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:06 am
Can we get a draft of apaladin’s 1st motivational speech to the Team?
Furmanfan22, apaladin liked this
 #46882  by FUBeAR
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:18 am
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:08 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:06 am
Can we get a draft of apaladin’s 1st motivational speech to the Team?

So…not this? (language warning - don’t click below if you’re easily offended or have never been inside a Football locker room or huddle)

gman84 liked this
 #46884  by FurmAlum
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:06 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:20 am
The Jackal wrote:

When you have a guy who’s very hard for one guy to tackle, it seems like a good idea to use him a bunch whether it’s rec league or FBS. So I was at first a little dismayed at why we weren’t using ours. Giving the coaches the benefit of the doubt, I decided that they knew our run blocking could only open any lanes at all against certain teams, so we only used him against those teams. Against everybody else he just ran into the back of his own OG and that was that. But you are now saying that they should have been using him all along which means F’oid’s first impression was right, and the coaches were wrong! Good point, Jackal.

Down the road maybe you and I should take over the coaching duties. FUBeAR can do the OL and execution. We’ll have apaladin drop in for motivational speaking from time to time. Better put affirm on as a consultant so Mrs. affirm ( the President) doesn’t cut funding.

Of course Astrodin would handle recruiting.
Jesse174 could handle Press Releases.
 #46885  by apaladin
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:26 pm
Went back and watched a few plays posted by Samford.

It's hard to sometimes see in real time, but Furman was frequently playing with a defense where 8 of 11 players were freshmen or sophomores.
I guess that is why Sammy scored every time they had the ball in the second half so not necessarily a good thing.
 #46890  by The Jackal
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:49 pm
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

It's hard to sometimes see in real time, but Furman was frequently playing with a defense where 8 of 11 players were freshmen or sophomores.
I guess that is why Sammy scored every time they had the ball in the second half so not necessarily a good thing.

Not really. Furman did a pretty strong job against Samford's vaunted attack all afternoon.

Remember, that's arguably the best offense in the country. Furman held Samford under their scoring average, passing average, and rushing average. The Bulldog run game was virtually nonexistent outside of Welch scrambling under pressure.

Montrell Washington, one of the nation's best players, was almost a nonfactor. He didn't really make an impact on the game until it was too late in the 4th quarter.

Coach Hendrix put our defense in a few touch spots by trying to be aggressive - going for the onside kick and trying for a fourth down at midfield. I don't dislike either of those calls, but it did give Samford a short field twice and let them back into the game. Convert either of those two plays and we'd probably have been looking at a blowout.
 #46893  by tim
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Not really. Furman did a pretty strong job against Samford's vaunted attack all afternoon.

Remember, that's arguably the best offense in the country. Furman held Samford under their scoring average, passing average, and rushing average. The Bulldog run game was virtually nonexistent outside of Welch scrambling under pressure.

Montrell Washington, one of the nation's best players, was almost a nonfactor. He didn't really make an impact on the game until it was too late in the 4th quarter.

Coach Hendrix put our defense in a few touch spots by trying to be aggressive - going for the onside kick and trying for a fourth down at midfield. I don't dislike either of those calls, but it did give Samford a short field twice and let them back into the game. Convert either of those two plays and we'd probably have been looking at a blowout.
Due to the D playing well, I was hoping he would kick both those balls deep. Don't like to see them play on the basis of what they COULD do to you. But hey, I yelled at Braves pitchers all year to quit nibbling and make them hit it, they didn't listen..... and won a World Series :D
 #46894  by AstroDin
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 6:40 pm
I'll take the lead on recruiting… ;-)

It's official Dylan Chiedo has committed to Furman
Played for Bartram Trail (same HS as PJ)
3 Star MLB
Offers;
Coastal Carolina
Dartmouth
Maryland
Iowa State
East Carolina
Florida Atlantic

apaladin liked this
 #46898  by gofurman
 Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:23 pm
tim wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:31 pm
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Due to the D playing well, I was hoping he would kick both those balls deep. Don't like to see them play on the basis of what they COULD do to you. But hey, I yelled at Braves pitchers all year to quit nibbling and make them hit it, they didn't listen..... and won a World Series :D
Yep. Once you know what you know at halftime ( not hindsight cheating… I mean the coaches saw we were doing GREAT on D all 1st half) …. I agree with Tim - why play so aggressive with onsides and midfield try etc?.

We were doing fine and the onsides etc shifted momentum a little. I get keeping the ball away from opposing offenses but I don’t think we needed to with our running game working etc