• Around the SoCon

#46562  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:38 am
That's what's strange to me about Mercer's position.

If they lose to ETSU and VMI wins, I'm not sure I can make a good argument for Mercer being in over VMI. VMI would have played a tougher schedule, have more D1 wins, and would have thumped Mercer head to head.
 #46563  by cavedweller2
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:41 am
Good Point.
FUBeAR liked this
 #46564  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:45 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:47 pm
As strange as it may seem they all have a shot because in the stats poll, which the committee seems to go by 4 of the bottom 6 teams don’t participate, Opens up some slots. FU prolly could have made it with just one or 2 more wins. Hope ETSU wins so they could get a seed. IMHO no SoCon team wins more than one game, if that.

I'm inclined to agree with Coach Thompson in saying the ETSU squad is probably one of the better teams we've seen in the SoCon since the Russ Huesman UTC teams of 6 or 7 years ago. They've got a good defense and big playmakers on offense. That'll play in the post season.

Personally, if I were a playoff team, I'd want nothing to do with VMI. They gave JMU a four quarter fight in the spring playoffs. If the Keydets make the field, I could see them being a big problem for teams as well.

Unfortunately, we'll probably see a familiar situation where a seeded SoCon team gets the pleasure of hosting a SoCon team or Kennesaw State for the first game.
 #46565  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:29 am
The Jackal wrote:

If they lose to ETSU and VMI wins, I'm not sure I can make a good argument for Mercer being in over VMI. VMI would have played a tougher schedule, have more D1 wins, and would have thumped Mercer head to head.
In those events…How ‘bout this for your argument, Counselor…

VMI lost to likely a 3-8 Team by double digits and to another currently 5-5 Team, while losing 2 of their last 3 games.

Meanwhile, Mercer has only lost to the #1 or #2 FBS Team, an FCS Top 8 seed, and another Team in serious consideration for a Playoff bid. They will have won 3 of their last 4 games, beating the only Team that has beaten that Top 8 seed during that stretch. The Bears are also ranked ahead or well ahead of VMI in both the STATS & Coaches polls. Finally, based on record & H2H meetings, Mercer is the #2 Team in the SoCon and VMI is #4. Does your Conference Schedule mean so little that you would grant the 4th place finisher a bid over the 2nd place finisher? If so, you are just a vile human being. Good day, Sir!

Thought they taught y’all to argue at Mercer Law…dang…if you couldn’t think of all that, you might wanna contact Bill about a refund.
 #46568  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:04 am
IMHO the nod goes to Mercer if they lose Saturday over VMI. IMHO the committee doesn’t spend a lot of time worrying about who beat who, comparing scores etc. Judging by past performances I think the committee spends about 30 mins on the bracket and they are done.
 #46569  by The Jackal
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:06 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:29 am
The Jackal wrote:

In those events…How ‘bout this for your argument, Counselor…

VMI lost to likely a 3-8 Team by double digits and to another currently 5-5 Team, while losing 2 of their last 3 games.

Meanwhile, Mercer has only lost to the #1 or #2 FBS Team, an FCS Top 8 seed, and another Team in serious consideration for a Playoff bid. They will have won 3 of their last 4 games, beating the only Team that has beaten that Top 8 seed during that stretch. The Bears are also ranked ahead or well ahead of VMI in both the STATS & Coaches polls. Finally, based on record & H2H meetings, Mercer is the #2 Team in the SoCon and VMI is #4. Does your Conference Schedule mean so little that you would grant the 4th place finisher a bid over the 2nd place finisher? If so, you are just a vile human being. Good day, Sir!

Thought they taught y’all to argue at Mercer Law…dang…if you couldn’t think of all that, you might wanna contact Bill about a refund.

My argument would be thus.

VMI has played an 11 game schedule. Mercer has not.
VMI has played all D1 teams. Mercer has not.
VMI's best win (UTC) is Mercer's best win (UTC)
VMI has beaten a likely playoff team (Davidson). Mercer has not.
VMI played Mercer on the road and beat them by 38. Mercer managed to avoid a shutout late in the 4th quarter.
VMI has a notable out of conference win (Davidson). Mercer does not.

Mercer's best argument is they'll finish second. That's a product of VMI losing a rivalry game on the road in Charleston. As we all know, the Citadel is dangerous in such games at Johnson Haygood. Does that alone move the needle for me? It does not.

So, sure, there are arguments both ways. I think VMI has the better case (assuming they win Saturday).

Mercer's had a great season. Unfortunately, I think they did this to themselves with weak out of conference scheduling.
 #46574  by apaladin
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:39 pm
That’s all well and good but the committee will not go into all that. Playoff team or not I would not consider a non-scholly win at home a quality win.
 #46575  by FUBeAR
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
That’s all well and good but the committee will not go into all that. Playoff team or not I would not consider a non-scholly win at home a quality win.
Yeah…he lost the jury when he said “Davidson”…and then he said it again!

Jackal musta been consulting counsel with those Kenosha prosecutors. :D
apaladin, cavedweller2 liked this
 #46582  by cavedweller2
 Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:33 pm
The question is moot. Mercer wins Saturday and the issue becomes a non issue.
FUBeAR, gman84 liked this
 #46612  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:15 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:30 pm
apaladin wrote:
Yeah…he lost the jury when he said “Davidson”…and then he said it again!

Jackal musta been consulting counsel with those Kenosha prosecutors. :D

If you aren't the autobid, then all you have is an argument to the jury. I'd rather present VMI's case than Mercer's.

May lose, but if you "ain't lost any, you ain't tried many."
FUBeAR liked this
 #46700  by gofurman
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:24 pm
SoCon killing itself
ETSU. IN. Congrats

Mercer loses - bubble ? Hope they get in!!

———————-

VMI loses - 3 in a row Out

Chatt loses 6-5. Out
 #46706  by The Jackal
 Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:32 pm
Well, looking at the results around the country, the late collapses against WCU or ETSU probably kept us out of the post season. Close either one of those games and I think we'd be in at 7-4.
 #46732  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:45 am
Looks like some of the prognosticators have only one SoCon team in - ETSU. The Bucs should be seeded.

UTC, Mercer, and VMI all went into the final weekend with good arguments. VMI and UTC didn't get it done against beatable teams. That was disappointing.

Mercer still has an argument, but many seem to have them as one of the first teams left out. Their scheduling hurt them.
 #46748  by The Jackal
 Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:11 pm
Official Bracket: https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/football/fcs/2021

ETSU is the only SoCon team in and gets the 7 seed.

They'll get a winnable game against the Kennesaw State/Davidson winner. KSU has a strong record, but struggled to beat some weak Big South teams. By comparison, the Owls beat NC A&T 14-0.

Survive that, and they'll potentially get a crack at NDSU.
Affirm liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.