• SoCon Football Realignment

#45379  by Roundball
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:34 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:24 am
Thorny wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:34 pm
I want W&M, Richmond, Elon, and CoC in the conference because I want Furman to play them and view them as our peers. K..simple as that.

These schools do not have to be in the Conference for Furman to play them. Why should we view any school that doesn't play FB as our peer?
Because football is the secondary sport to basketball. Basketball is money making sport in the SoCon.
Last edited by Roundball on Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #45380  by The Jackal
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:55 am
affirm wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:51 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:29 pm
FUpaladin08 wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:24 pm
I’m all for CofC to bolster the bball side of things. The goal of the SoCon should be to get an at large tourney bid and CofC helps. The same should be true of Fball. The SoCon has struggled to have more than one relevant team in then playoffs since App and GSU left. If adding any of these schools help I’m all for it.
No idea what “relevant team” in the playoffs means. If they make the Playoffs, they are a “relevant” Team.

SoCon has avg’d 1.33 At Large Playoff bids in the 24 Team Playoff Field since GaSou & Appy departed, including 4 in 2016…and getting completely hosed out of 3 in 2018.

Most peeps are acknowledging that the SoCon will have 2 this year with possibilities of 3…even 4 (FUBeAR says NFW to 4…5 worthy Teams, but only 2 or, maybe, 3 will get the call).

The only time the SoCon has failed to get at least 1 At-large bid in a 24 Team field was 2014…the year after the GaSou/Appy exit. Samford & WCU may have deserved bids that year, but perception, due to the departures & perceived weakness of new SoCon Teams, hurt their ’cases.’ With those not-so-new-now Teams winning/challenging for SoCon Championships and doing some good things OOC, that perception has subsided. Overall, top-to-bottom strength, is now reluctantly recognized, but we will need some strong SoCon Playoff (overcoming the stacked decks) performances to get to an expectation of being a 3 or 4 bid league.

Richmond & W&M…and NC A&T would help. Everyone recognizes E*Loan for the ‘posers’ they are.
Curious to know reasons for continuous disparagement of Elon. Is it mainly because they have so many students from NY NJ MA, and relatively few from NC?
Is it because they departed the SoCon so fast?
Is it because their academic and athletic renown seemingly increased so much over such a small time frame?
Is it their seemingly fortuitous location in the midst of the NC “big 4” and between the Triangle and the Triad?
None of the above?
What are the “reasons”?

I do not have an issue with Elon besides the fact that they are just sort of "meh."

Elon doesn't really excite folks, I think, because they aren't really excitable. As best I can tell, they don't have a natural football rival and really haven't stayed in one place long enough to develop one.
 #45385  by tim
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:33 pm
When they were in the conference, I remember a thug football team with many game ejections and outright suspensions. Their pet name on the boards was fElon. They had one qb, a big sandy haired guy (Scott) whose off the field exploits were something else. He played baseball also and ended his career in the tourney with a big fight. All that has changed probably since the coach is long gone, they could make a good partner. I know they once hired a Davidson asst coach for basketball that didn't work out. Furman played in a recent preseason basketball tourney with them and they didn't look so good. Fairly recently, we had a good FCS playoff game with them and a regular season game also.
 #45391  by Affirm
 Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:55 pm
tim wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:33 pm
When they were in the conference, I remember a thug football team with many game ejections and outright suspensions. Their pet name on the boards was fElon. They had one qb, a big sandy haired guy (Scott) whose off the field exploits were something else. He played baseball also and ended his career in the tourney with a big fight. All that has changed probably since the coach is long gone, they could make a good partner. I know they once hired a Davidson asst coach for basketball that didn't work out. Furman played in a recent preseason basketball tourney with them and they didn't look so good. Fairly recently, we had a good FCS playoff game with them and a regular season game also.
I attended that regular season game at Elon.
September 8, 2018.
Furman 7 - Elon 45
In regard to their reputation, it has apparently not been bad enough to keep them from getting OOC games in the last several years with Duke, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech.

Recent Topics

User avatar Missing Players

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:32 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.