• ETSU - Oct. 23

#45009  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:06 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 pm
Here's what I would like to see on Sat.

1. Jace start at QB. We an bring Hamp in halfway thru 3rd Q if things aren't going well.
2. #0 back in the lineup!
3. At least one flea-flicker. Maybe a lateral or pass to Shiflett, and he throws it again, back to the QB, or a WR.
4. Mckoy start at Spur.
5. Generally run the ball down their throat. Then an occasional play action pass.
6. Get after the ETSU QB. He has fumble-itus and makes bad throws under pressure.

I see a Paladin victory. Just gotta execute.
Watched some of their highlights. Couple of things I noticed.

They had some issues with QBs on the run. Samford's Liam Welch ran for 73 yards (7+ ypc). Wofford's QB ran for over 10 ypc. Citadel's Jaylan Adams had 100+ yards and 7+ ypc. It could be an area Furman could look to exploit.

I imagine our defense will be well prepared. We've faced two run heavy teams in a row. The Bucs offense is similar to what we saw with Wofford, and similar to what our defense practices against with our own offense.
 #45011  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:37 pm
FurmAlum wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:16 pm
Here's what I would like to see on Sat.

1. Jace start at QB. We an bring Hamp in halfway thru 3rd Q if things aren't going well.
2. #0 back in the lineup!
3. At least one flea-flicker. Maybe a lateral or pass to Shiflett, and he throws it again, back to the QB, or a WR.
4. Mckoy start at Spur.
5. Generally run the ball down their throat. Then an occasional play action pass.
6. Get after the ETSU QB. He has fumble-itus and makes bad throws under pressure.

I see a Paladin victory. Just gotta execute.
Would add one other thing. Some design runs/options for JW. Doesn’t have to be a lot just a few.
MNORM liked this
 #45013  by DungeonRealm
 Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:03 am
I believe last time FU beat a Top 15 team was at Paladin Stadium Oct. 2018 vs. #4 Woffy, so 3 years ago
 #45023  by Flagman
 Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:21 pm
Athlon picks ETSU by only 3.
 #45024  by youwouldno
 Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:36 pm
ETSU is a one-point favorite in Massey and two points in Sagarin. Almost as close as you can get to a true toss-up.
 #45037  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:21 am
Watched a bit more.

Key for Furman defensively is to get Quay Holmes on the ground. He's a similar physical build to Devin Wynn, and, like Wynn, tends to run angry. A lot of his yards come after contact and he's not going to stop moving until the whistle blows. Gotta tackle.

We've also gotta get hands on Huzzie. The only WR in SoCon play that averages more catches per game than Huzzie is Jakob Herres at VMI.

In SoCon play, Huzzie and Holmes are responsible for roughly half of ETSU's offense.

Offensively, I want to see us maintain some possession. Our defense will keep us in the game, but we cannot afford to have those stretches where we go three or four consecutive drives without a first down and just keep punting it back to them.
 #45038  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:22 am
“Furman battles ETSU for the top spot in the Southern Conference” is a bit of a stretch.

If Mercer beats Woffy and FU beats ETSU, Mercer will be alone at the top of the SoCon with a 4-1 Conf record. Furman, VMI, and Chatt (if they beat Samford) will be be tied with FU for 2nd @ 3-1. If Mercer loses & FU wins, then FU will be tied for 1st with VMI & possibly Chatt. So, FU ‘needs help’ (post-game as Woffy @ Mercer kicks @ 6) from Woffy this week to truly make this already concluded game to have been a “battle for the top spot.”

If ETSU wins, yeah, the Bucs will remain in 1st @ 4-1, possibly tied with Mercer, closely trailed by VMI @ 3-1, who, possibly, could be tied with Chatt.

FUBeAR FactFinders rates this Tweet: PARTIALLY TRUE, POSSIBLY MISLEADING

…and FUBeAR LOVES it!!!

ALSO - FUBeAR wondered (accurately) if FU’s Instagram Account was telling us something before the Wofford game. Same sort of wondering about this pre-ETSU hype vid.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #45039  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Watched a bit more.

Key for Furman defensively is to get Quay Holmes on the ground. He's a similar physical build to Devin Wynn, and, like Wynn, tends to run angry. A lot of his yards come after contact and he's not going to stop moving until the whistle blows. Gotta tackle.

We've also gotta get hands on Huzzie. The only WR in SoCon play that averages more catches per game than Huzzie is Jakob Herres at VMI.

In SoCon play, Huzzie and Holmes are responsible for roughly half of ETSU's offense.

Offensively, I want to see us maintain some possession. Our defense will keep us in the game, but we cannot afford to have those stretches where we go three or four consecutive drives without a first down and just keep punting it back to them.
Agree…and FUBeAR thinks it may be at least equally as important to get ETSU’s QB and/or his HC to think he (the QB) has to WIN the game for the Bucs. Once either or both of them get that idea in their heads…Checkmate.
din23 liked this
 #45040  by din23
 Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:18 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
“Furman battles ETSU for the top spot in the Southern Conference” is a bit of a stretch.

If Mercer beats Woffy and FU beats ETSU, Mercer will be alone at the top of the SoCon with a 4-1 Conf record. Furman, VMI, and Chatt (if they beat Samford) will be be tied with FU for 2nd @ 3-1. If Mercer loses & FU wins, then FU will be tied for 1st with VMI & possibly Chatt. So, FU ‘needs help’ (post-game as Woffy @ Mercer kicks @ 6) from Woffy this week to truly make this already concluded game to have been a “battle for the top spot.”

If ETSU wins, yeah, the Bucs will remain in 1st @ 4-1, possibly tied with Mercer, closely trailed by VMI @ 3-1, who, possibly, could be tied with Chatt.

…and FUBeAR LOVES it!!!

ALSO - FUBeAR wondered (accurately) if FU’s Instagram Account was telling us something before the Wofford game. Same sort of wondering about this pre-ETSU hype vid.
Since we're all playing the same number of SoCon games this season, I'm comfortable with the tweet since the loss column would be the same.
apaladin liked this
 #45041  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:27 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:28 am
The Jackal wrote:
Watched a bit more.

Agree…and FUBeAR thinks it may be at least equally as important to get ETSU’s QB and/or his HC to think he (the QB) has to WIN the game for the Bucs. Once either or both of them get that idea in their heads…Checkmate.

Riddle has had good passing numbers this year, but it wouldn't surprise me to see us pick off a pass, especially if you are predictable in where you are likely to throw it.
 #45042  by The Jackal
 Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 pm
FUBeAR wrote:

…and FUBeAR LOVES it!!!

I think there's always a slight distinction between the auto-bid and conference champion. You can finish in first and not be the auto-bid. It's still first.

For instance, if Mercer and Furman both win out, Mercer will be the autobid, but they'll still share the SoCon title with Furman.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Missing Players

by RaleighDin

Fri Sep 20, 2024 10:30 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:45 pm

User avatar TV

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Default Avatar Furman upsets Virginia (Greatest Game Of All Time)

by FurmanFan23

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

User avatar Score Guess. Furman vs. William and Mary

by Louis Tully

Fri Sep 20, 2024 9:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.